• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

employee pay

Flubber

How much is the going pay rate for an employee? Also what is the starting pay and what would it be for an employee thats been with your company for 2yrs. (not a designer or wrap installer)

Sign_Boy

How much is the going pay rate for an employee? Also what is the starting pay and what would it be for an employee thats been with your company for 2yrs. (not a designer or wrap installer)

That would probably depend on where in the country you are.
Hourly or salary would there be benefits? If so what would be covered before the employee kicks in. How many hours a week?

Does this employee produce or are they on 101 all day?

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Last edited:

Sign_Boy

OOPS forgot to ask what type of volume the shop does and how many total employees?

Also what do you mean by not a designer or wrap installer?
Are they just a table monkey? <no ill will intended by this job title - I was a table monkey for quite a while and still am at times

Sick days? Personal days? Vacation days?

Last edited:

Dice

Wide open. Do they handle print files? Operate your Rip? What sort of signs do you produce?

nationwide i have seen entry level wages from minimum wage to $10 , where as $10 in some southern states brings in experienced help and on the west coast i couldnt find ppl to sweep my warehouse for $10 per hour.

i think the more important question is making sure that they are earning their keep (making you a profit) and if they are making you a significant profit, can work on their own, do good work ... heck i'd pay them just about anything they wanted.

Flubber

table monkey, design when needed (simple layouts), wraps are not a big demand in this town. Vacay after a year

Sign_Boy

$10 - $14 depending on performance with the ability to learn, take direction and eventually work on their own

Gino

Premium Subscriber
From what you described.... I would imagine not a very high pay rate.

Around here.... in our shop.... that person would be between $10 to $12 an hour based on a 40 hour week.

Also, around here [Southeast PA].... no one starts much below $10 an hour in any field. Lotsa people out of work because they're too proud to work for $10 an hour, so I guess its all relative.

Pat Whatley

$8.50 an hour for table help, minor customer service

$8.00 an hour for post hole digger....meaning somebody who is just helping the guy who knows what he's doing.

$3.50 an hour as a business owner.

32bantum

I had a girl that was a part timer. She did good work on the screen print side and could watch the printer and then cut, lam and coutour. Some things she didn't want to learn like color settings and setting up a screen press. Very effecient and I could trust her to stay busy. 8.00 an hour and a kicker at the end of some jobs that paid exceptional. All was well till she figured out what the shop was making per job then she started not being available as much then just quit showing up. I don't think she understood the concept of a business and the expenses involved

WrapperX

What would you owners pay for an employee who had:

6 yrs Vinyl/"table monkey"
3 yrs of wrapping - 150 +/- wraps from Econo and Sprinter Vans to Semi Trailers down to PT Curisers and HHRs

3 years of Mimaki JV3 usage experience (daily maitenance, upkeep, trouble shooting, etc.)
Fully capable to work independantly - 40hrs/wk

Health Benifits
Paid Vacation time

Some design capabilities AI CS2, basic photo editing?

dwt

I had a girl that was a part timer. She did good work on the screen print side and could watch the printer and then cut, lam and coutour. Some things she didn't want to learn like color settings and setting up a screen press. Very effecient and I could trust her to stay busy. 8.00 an hour and a kicker at the end of some jobs that paid exceptional. All was well till she figured out what the shop was making per job then she started not being available as much then just quit showing up. I don't think she understood the concept of a business and the expenses involved

People like this only see what is coming in and couldn't care less about what is going out. I've leaned out over the last year and work at capacity by my damn self.

Funny enough my monthly net has gone up because I'm not busy babysitting and don't have materials getting wasted/stolen while i'm not looking.