• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employee promotion advice needed

SCOTTD

I have an employee that I want to promote to shop manager. I'm trying to come up with an appropriate title that sounds professional.
shop manager is quick and easy but sounds too generic . Any advice?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Titles mean nothing. If having a title will get more work out of him, then call him Vice President of Signs Quality Control. Now he has something to live up to...................

SCOTTD

He is deserving of the promotion and he's a great guy. Yes the promotion does come with more responsibility but comes with more $$ too. I value great employees.

Billct2

Shop Manager is just fine.
And titles do mean something, it denotes the respect he has earned and the responsibility that come with it.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Assistant to the Assistant Manager works wonders...

or Boss-Man

King Peon

Lord Workerman

Sir Shop Manager

really....titles matter that much??

reQ

Okay... then Shop Operations Manager!

P.S. I am with everybody else - titles means sh*t. I still have new customers show up and they don't even know that i am the owner, cuz i act just like a work here and doing my best to help. Noone needs to know whats your position is called.

Billct2

It's not necessarily for the customer, but it can help. Customers can know they''re dealing with someone who is in charge.
Another group is suppliers, they will know they are dealing with an employee that has some authority to order supplies and deal with problems with them.
And most importantly it means something to the person who earns the title. And to the people who he shares his promotion with.

rjssigns

What about COO. Chief Operations Officer.

Can't get much more "officialer" than that.

Superintendent of Operations works well too.

As far as titles my brother worked for and attained Plant Manager status. Pedestrian name for what is truly a high profile position within the company.

When I get asked what my title is I say Chief Technology Influencer. Usually raises an eyebrow or two.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When you are the owner of a shop title doesn't matter. When you are an employee it matters a lot. It's much better for a resume to say I was the Operations Manager or General Manager rather then I worked for a guy and helped make signs. The title says to future employers that I was deserving of a title from an established business that set me apart from the guys just showing up for a pay check. Of course it can be taken too far with positions like Vice President of Vinyl Application Engineering or Manager in Charge of Post Production Vinyl Removal (Weeding). I think it is important to let your employees know that they can take ownership of there contributions to the future of the business and therefore will be given a title to reflect that ownership. It's a free way to boost morale.

reQ

When i was 19, and applied for a credit card, my position was Vinyl Engineer, lol (on the bank application form)

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
I have an employee that I want to promote to shop manager. I'm trying to come up with an appropriate title that sounds professional.
shop manager is quick and easy but sounds too generic . Any advice?

If you want him to work for you...give him as much benefits as you can afford. If you want he work for someone else later..give him a big title. My 2C.

Billct2

Did you read the whole post?
Yes the promotion does come with more responsibility but comes with more $$ too. I value great employees.
He never said it was a title only.