• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employee Raises?

149motorsports

How would everyone handle this situation and what would you say or do?

We are suppose to get a yearly review. Today has been 2 years since my last review. I have been asking my boss when we will be doing my yearly review from last year (and now im due for this years) and I keep getting the run around about her having to ask the owner,ect,ect for compensation.. I have asked around 6 times in the past year and keep getting the same story and run around.

Basically I have lost 2 years of extra pay from the raises. Pretty pissed, not going to lie.

I would like to bring up about getting back pay since this is no way my fault for them dragging their feet. I am just not sure about how to go and handle this situation i'm in.

Any advice is appreciated about how to go on about this issue. Thanks!

rossmosh

First things first, you are not due back pay unless you have a contractually obligated raise and they didn't institute it. So you can forget about that.

At one time, employees were rewarded for loyalty. That's simply not the case anymore. In order to get a significant raise, you need to shop for a new job. So start putting your resume out and looking for other work. Some people will recommend taking a new offer and bringing it to an existing boss. I don't think that's a good idea if you're not happy where you are. If you're happy with your current job but just want more money, then it's an acceptable tool to use in negotiation. Really if you're happy with your job, you shouldn't try to leverage a raise but that sometimes doesn't work.

Shop your resume. Get a new job. Put in your notice. Shake their hand. Walk out the door. If they ask why you're leaving, tell them "it just wasn't working out." Keep it as generic and bland as possible. Don't burn bridges if you don't have to.

149motorsports

I only mention back pay because this has happened to others and they brought it up and got it.

I am happy with my job. I just happen to have a boss who drags her feet constantly and I get screwed in the end. Other employees get their review on time every year and are happy. Her husband is director of operations also for the other half of the company and is the one who gave back pay to his employees who he was late on with reviews.

2B

do you have in writing about the yearly review?
Are these reviews to discuss the amount of the raise or if you will get a raise?

If these points are in writing then they are in breach of contract.
If so then you have grounds for recourse, otherwise it is he said / she said scenario and you will be fighting an uphill battle

How valuable are you to the business? this will have big impact on the ability to make demands about back pay.
However, as an employee, you are working for them and if you cause a scene then they will more than likely fire you then again if you have these points in writing you have the ability to pursue this with legal action

sounds like the boss is the issue, bypass her and go the the husband

Bottom, line if you are unhappy with the current boss(es) then you will need to find a new job for your own self-interest.

rossmosh

I only mention back pay because this has happened to others and they brought it up and got it.

I am happy with my job. I just happen to have a boss who drags her feet constantly and I get screwed in the end. Other employees get their review on time every year and are happy. Her husband is director of operations also for the other half of the company and is the one who gave back pay to his employees who he was late on with reviews.

If there is precedence, you might be able to get it. I wouldn't count on it.

Walk into her office and say "I'd like to have my review Friday. I'll stop by at 9 am". If she blows you off, you've got to look for a new job. The basics of an employee/employer relationship is you do a job and they pay you. If you aren't getting paid what you want and they aren't willing to work it out, then you have no choice but to look for another job.

The only other thing I could think about is approaching her husband or going over her head to the main boss (if there is one).

I will promise you this, job shopping is just about the only way to move up in this current environment. The only people that can keep the same job and be happy is government workers or upper management. Everyone else is scrambling for that extra buck.

149motorsports

do you have in writing about the yearly review?
Are these reviews to discuss the amount of the raise or if you will get a raise?

If these points are in writing then they are in breach of contract.
If so then you have grounds for recourse, otherwise it is he said / she said scenario and you will be fighting an uphill battle

How valuable are you to the business? this will have big impact on the ability to make demands about back pay.
However, as an employee, you are working for them and if you cause a scene then they will more than likely fire you then again if you have these points in writing you have the ability to pursue this with legal action

sounds like the boss is the issue, bypass her and go the the husband

Bottom, line if you are unhappy with the current boss(es) then you will need to find a new job for your own self-interest.

It is listed in our hand book about performance and salary reviews (exact words):

Company X generally conducts annual performance and salary reviews. If you are a regular full time or part time employee, and you have been employed for 90 days prior to the review period, you will receive an annual performance and salary review from your manager.

I run all the shipping and receiving, special projects,ect. Im all they have for a business that does 15 million in sales. I do not work for her husband, so he has no say. Im not looking for a new job, but rather asking on how to tell her I want this review done and tired of waiting.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
As an owner, I have a little different perspective. I would recommend you approach the situation professionally and not show your frustration or anger. I am not excusing what your boss has done, it is very wrong. You should approach him/her and be courteous but direct "I have asked for a review several times over the last (x amount of time). I understand you are busy, but I need to have this review done in the next 2 weeks." Then either ask for a meeting date at that time, or 24 hours later, use your judgement. Keep pressing, but don't come off too strong. Assume you are not being blown off, but your boss has just gotten busy. Again, it does not excuse them, but we are all human. I would definitely NOT press for back pay, IMO that is very offensive. I would instead ask for $1 more per hour (or whatever) in your review because of the time lag.

149motorsports

As an owner, I have a little different perspective. I would recommend you approach the situation professionally and not show your frustration or anger. I am not excusing what your boss has done, it is very wrong. You should approach him/her and be courteous but direct "I have asked for a review several times over the last (x amount of time). I understand you are busy, but I need to have this review done in the next 2 weeks." Then either ask for a meeting date at that time, or 24 hours later, use your judgement. Keep pressing, but don't come off too strong. Assume you are not being blown off, but your boss has just gotten busy. Again, it does not excuse them, but we are all human. I would definitely NOT press for back pay, IMO that is very offensive. I would instead ask for $1 more per hour (or whatever) in your review because of the time lag.

Thanks. I have been very professionally about it. The chain of command goes me, my boss, then one of the owners to get these reviews done. She claims she has everything filled out and is just waiting for the owner to get back to her with compensation.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Company X generally conducts annual performance and salary reviews. If you are a regular full time or part time employee, and you have been employed for 90 days prior to the review period, you will receive an annual performance and salary review from your manager.

She claims she has everything filled out and is just waiting for the owner to get back to her with compensation.
Because I'm sure she never talks to her husband.

T_K

This is along the lines I was thinking. If you're respectful but firm, you're more likely to get a positive outcome. Be persistent, but not annoying. Try suggesting times for a meeting. "I know we've both got work to do, how about we sit down at [time] on [day] and have the review, so we can both get back to work?"

It sounds like you are at least content (or better) at your job and don't want to leave. But the fact is that most employers are under no obligation to give you a raise. Are you adding value to the company? Yes. Are you helping the company grow and function? Yes. Should you be compensated according to your contributions accordingly? Yes. But they don't have to unless there's some contract involved. I've never worked for a company that guaranteed a raise, even if it was a general expectation.

At the end of the day, if you want a better paycheck, you've got to be willing to follow it. If that's at your current company, great. But it may not be. You may have to look for another job in order to get that raise.

Good luck.

Marlene

since they wrote what they did in their own handbook, they should honor that. tell them it is time for the review as it is well over due and keep it professional. you have a right to be ticked off but use that in the right way and don't let them keep putting you off. you are right that the longer they put it off, the less they pay you and that might be why they are putting it off as long as they can as owners will do what is best for them, not you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's a toughie. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong.

You have really only one approach. Explain to your boss, you simply can't diddle around like this any longer. It's impacting on you, your work and afterwork problems..... meaning your income for doing anything outside of work. Discuss in a two minute conversation that you've been patient, even more than patient and very understanding, but nothing is getting done. You will either have to go around her and go right to the horse's mouth and that might not look very favorable on her..... or maybe something even more drastic. JUST, don't mention looking for another job or doing something elsewhere. No matter how many rights have been stepped on, no boss/employer will stand for threats, so at no time whatsoever do you wanna sound threatening.

Have a list of dates when you've approached in the past and what has transpired. Creating a paper trail will show your loyalty to the company on many levels.

We have our reviews on their anniversary dates. What is discussed between one employee and us, should never be repeated to another employee on either party's side. That's wrong and counter-productive on many levels. So, don't worry about what others did or say. You don't even know if it's true or not or what the circumstances really are/were.

Good luck..............​

mark galoob

i think at this point, rather than going to them verbaly...you need to write a professional letter to them and cc that persons boss and anybody else thats relevent. date it and drop it off at their desks or email it to them. that size company you will probably need a written paper trail to cover your tail.

2B

i think at this point, rather than going to them verbaly...you need to write a professional letter to them and cc that persons boss and anybody else thats relevent. date it and drop it off at their desks or email it to them. that size company you will probably need a written paper trail to cover your tail.

Especially if your boss has been brushing you off for this long. others need to be aware of the situation and lack of policy procedures.

are you the only employee not getting the review? if so how are the others getting theirs? is the boss passive-aggressive towards you, as in read the writing on the wall and she no longer wants you there?

T_K

For that, you'd probably want to send it certified mail. "Oh, you left it on my desk? I never saw it!"

mark galoob

partner, if you have to send it cert mail, you need to go find a different job...giving it to them in an envelope w/ their name on it should be good enough.

signage

You are in PA which is a right to work state, so if you not in a union and they don't hold up to you contract, good luck. It sounds like you either need to look for a new job or just stay and accept what they do.