• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

employee stealing

FASTSIGNS

Thank you all. Cooler heads prevail and I’ve deleted. Our internal franchise system has notified the other centers in our 3 county area, Today I will personally call other sign shops and suppliers that I have a relationship with and let them know. I also get to call our customers that dealt with him and let them know their cards have been compromised and if needed to dispute charges from his company. Also, sadly we loaned this employee $700 a few weeks back and we will not se that repaid ( small potatoes but still stings). Yes we are filing a police report, yes we are letting our attorney handle. Thanks for your replies. Hopefully enough eyes passed over the original post to help. I enjoy lurking around this site while eating lunch at my desk. We are all in this crazy business together!

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You might want to ask a lawyer if this is an appropriate post, I'm thinking your efforts are better served taking this clown to court than exposing yourself to a lawsuit...

ikarasu

Unless you can 100% prove it, I'd delete your post. Even then, he may be able to sue you for slander. You didn't take him to court, therefore he's not guilty. In a civil suit such as being sued, it's up to you to prove it, not him. And even if you have proof, you never know how a jury will side.

Most hr won't even give bad reviews on phone calls anymore .You open your company up to liability issues.

In cases like these, it's best to just move on and forget it. If it's worth it to you, press charges. He burned the bridge, and if he was with you for awhile.. that's a big gap in his employment history he'll have a hard time explaining.

Johnny Best

I think the guy is so taken a back about the guy stealing from his business he is not thinking of a law suit. Let’s hope it does not turn into a murder case.
Wonder how much money the guy stole.

OADesign

On top of all the stuff others have mentioned...
You could be getting into hot water with all the other companies with RJM in the name in a design related industry, that my feel some way about their name being indexed on search engines in this open forum. +1 for deleting the OP.

Plus, I'm sure you know, local sign industry is small. Everyone knows (or know about) everyone. So if this guy is a bad character, his reputation will eventually catch up to him.

ikarasu

just realized you're part of a franchise, and not your own shop also. You're drawing attention, not good attention to your franchise... As a franchisee, you'll likely get into a lot of trouble for a post like this... I'd remove it, before it gets further than it is, if I were you. If he stole from you, he's not worth the effort your putting into it.

equippaint

To slander, is to make false and damaging statements about someone.

If its not false........It's not slander.
Yes and apparently the person bringing the slander claim really gets dragged through the mud by the defense in an effort to prove the slander was not false.
Either way, lawsuits and the court system in general is not about right are wrong or even finding the truth. Its a strategy game and money grab. It's better to just avoid it altogether.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would check your states law....
If he was an employee, even "IF" he did steal, you still may not be able to call him out on a public forum... as an employer, you can only do or say so much about an employee unless that employee allows you - as a reference. We have pretty strict laws here in California about what you can say about a previous employee... pretty much all you can say is he worked from this day to that day, his duties and his salary...

ikarasu

False or not, it can still be construed as slander .Its innocent until proven guilty... That's why everytime there's a news article, it's "alleged crime" even if they have the guy on video, murder weapon with his finger prints, dna all over the place.

Not to mention eve if your not going to get in legal trouble, when your part of a franchise you don't talk about internal matters.

If a McDonald's franchisee came out and said an employee is a thief and no one should hire them, that franchisee would lose his franchise before he woke up the next day . You sign a very strict policy when you become a franchisee, talking about employees such as this is one of the biggest no no's.

I don't know, or care if the employee was stealing. If he was, he deserves all he gets. But putting yourself and your business at risk because someone stole from you isn't smart. There is a reason a lot of companies have HR departments.

Point is... The owner of a huge company has a lot.more to lose than an employee or ex employee of.said company .He has nothing to lose by trying to Persue this in the courts, or email fast signs hr decision and lodge a complaint, to which OP will be in a lot of trouble because of this post.

Theres far, far more downsides than upsides to this post .

equippaint

The guy is trying to help and vent at the same time. I hate thieves and dishonest people and am close enough to him to appreciate the heads up. I'm sure the guy doesn't have the funds to finance a lawsuit (or he wouldn't have done this) and no lawyer will take a small case on contingency so quit worrying about it.

WildWestDesigns

I'm pretty sure it's not slander for another reason. It's written down (or transcribed in a fixed form, not always written), not spoken. Written (or transcribed in fixed form, this can also be audio recordings, how is that for logic that makes your head hurt) down is libel, if I recall correctly.

Last edited: