• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employees on Cell Phones

Should non-essential cell phones be banned in the workplace?

• Total voters

equippaint

How does everyone handle employees on their cell phones? Job market is tight so its a bit hard to implement any hard and fast rules but Im tired of walking out into the shop and seeing people constantly screwing with their phones. Either texting, on facebook or always messing with the radio and headphones.
It's a safety issue here and a big productivity killer.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How bout no working and using phones, no dinner table phones, no driving and using phones, no loud people walking though a store with a speaker phone on, yelling and carrying on a conversation like a heathen who doesn't care who listens phones...

equippaint

We average 9 employees and have run through 7 in the past 4 months but no core guys. We used to hardly have any turnover but any new hires have seem to be a game of musical chairs. They (the problem ones) are all unskilled general labor that has to be trained but its expensive to keep doing this. With this in mind, what is a middle ground? Zero tolerance just exacerbates turnover but ignoring it is not fair to the good core guys either.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We just let someone go a couple months ago because she refused to listen to the no cell phone rule. Was clearly stated in the employee handbook and she obviously couldn't live without it so I let her go. Even after a clear warning she still couldn't figure it out. I guess kids these days prefer social media and texting over money. *shrug*

JJGraphics

We started off by telling them to "use their discretion" when that didn't work we remind them to use their discretion. When that didn't work we told them they can't keep their phones on their desks. If that doesn't work we'll ban phones from being in the building at all. Their excuse is that they listen to books/music so they can block out noise and not be disturbed. I don't buy it though. If you're focusing on a book, you're not focusing on work and that's a problem for me.

I confronted one employee and told her it wasn't fair that she's stealing my time and that her addiction to her phone is unhealthy. I told her I think it's time for her to leave it in her car and she cried saying she felt like she was being locked in prison if she couldn't have her phone. I asked if she really thinks this job is prison and she acquiesced that it's not, it just feels that way when she can't stay in touch with the outside world. She's getting better, but I still think it's too much.

It's a balance with a generation raised on the notion they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. It's not right, but it takes time to work them through that addiction and teach them that during work hours, I own their time and attention.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Not sure we've ever had a problem but most of our employees are older adults. Headphones! Absolutely not!
Kind of off cell phone topic but we once had a guy start working and the owner had noticed a derogatory bumper sticker and ask for him to park in the back. He lasted a few days. Didn't pay enough for someone just graduating graphic design school.
One employee came to work in her pajamas because she just found out she was pregnant. Gone!
I only check messages or email headlines. We also use our phones for taking pics of vehicles. Easier to just email the pics than use a digital camera and download.
Not uncommon for me to leave my cell on the charger the whole weekend. I haven't died yet.

ams

In my employee handbook, I have that phones cannot be used except on lunch breaks and not on the clock. Except in the case of an emergency or doctors appointment. However that has failed several times, they ignore it. Generally they will go to the back room to do their texting or wait until I am out of the office and then play on it.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I have kids, I need to be on my cell phone, even at work. I also use it as my finances, meetings, yellow legal pad, gallery, etc. I have a Note so it is also my #1 work tool as a PM.

That said, I don't break out my cell phone for music, facebook, or anything else. If I'm on an install or working a project, it sits on the sidelines.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You may check your cell phone during your morning break, lunch break and afternoon break. That's your time, use it how you see fit. Otherwise, it's a safety hazard. There is no way one can concentrate on one's job, whether you're listening to music or listening to a book. If I call you from across the room and you can't hear me when I say something, that's a problem. It's in the handbook so everyone is treated the same, but it does need to be addressed from time to time. We had a girl working here, who's kids were a real problem. The school was always calling her with problems. She's been gone for 2 years now.

biggce55

Texting/Social Media is a no no on our production floor. We do allow them to listen to music on their phones during production time. Only catch a few that try to get away with doing the no no's. The one's who cannot comply are no longer with us after numerous verbal and written warning.

We rather have employees listen to music than talk away to one another. Find that when they are tuned into whatever they are listening to, we get more productivity.

Get me any worker who will comply with company rules and show up every day and on time, and work hard...its a win for us. Those people are hard to find!

TomNJ

I have a simple policy and I explain it during the interview process. Employee cell phones are to be either left in their vehicle or checked at the office when they clock in. Anyone found using their cell phone while on the clock will be terminated on the spot. I've received a lot of push back but I stand firm and have fired 3 employees so far and didn't hire one guy after the interview over his comments regarding the policy. The biggest excuse I get is "What if I have an emergency and someone needs to reach me". I tell them to give family and loved ones the office number or put a message on your cell that tells callers that your are working and to call the office if someone needs to reach you. I also explain that excessive "emergency" calls that come through the office are grounds for termination as well. I have yet to have to terminate anyone over that, but I wouldn't hesitate. I also do not have internet access on our production computers. It's pretty simple, my time my rules. If you don't like it, you don't have to work here. I run my company, not my employees.

ams

I have a simple policy and I explain it during the interview process. Employee cell phones are to be either left in their vehicle or checked at the office when they clock in. Anyone found using their cell phone while on the clock will be terminated on the spot. I've received a lot of push back but I stand firm and have fired 3 employees so far and didn't hire one guy after the interview over his comments regarding the policy. The biggest excuse I get is "What if I have an emergency and someone needs to reach me". I tell them to give family and loved ones the office number or put a message on your cell that tells callers that your are working and to call the office if someone needs to reach you. I also explain that excessive "emergency" calls that come through the office are grounds for termination as well. I have yet to have to terminate anyone over that, but I wouldn't hesitate. I also do not have internet access on our production computers. It's pretty simple, my time my rules. If you don't like it, you don't have to work here. I run my company, not my employees.

It's not legal to limit emergency calls on the office phone.

ikarasu

I've worked in both enviroments, one where cell phones were prohibited, and one where it was only for emergencies / short bursts.

It gets abused either way. It's the person, not the phone's that are at fault.

Everyone here listens to music though, it actually increases productivity. I can't see why you guys would ban music, unless you're employee is being an asshole about it. Whenever anyone comes to talk to me, the headphones come right off, before they even get to me.

Cell phones... We're allowed to take quick looks. it's a verbal, don't overdo it policy. Some people still abuse it... But for those that don't, we appreciate it. I have a wife and kid at home, sometimes they ask me something, and a quick 10 second reply when I'm not busy doesn't hurt.

How many times do you, or your employees stop for a minute to chat or ask someone a question during work hours? A cell phone is the same... just more "generational". It bugs me how some people abuse it though. Not simply because "They're going to ruin it for the rest of us" mentality, but I don't see how some people find it OK to sit in the corner, or hide behind a rack for 20 minutes browsing facebook.

These are usually the same people who leave 5 minutes early, and come back 10 minutes late for every lunch though.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I personally would feel belittled if I worked at a place that told me what to do with my cell phone. I'm an adult and know what is reasonable and what's not. If my mom calls during work hours I'm going to answer it no matter who my boss is. Browsing Facebook at any time except lunch is obviously a no no. In this office we are all adults and have never had any issues with cell phone use.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I personally would feel belittled if I worked at a place that told me what to do with my cell phone. I'm an adult and know what is reasonable and what's not. If my mom calls during work hours I'm going to answer it no matter who my boss is. Browsing Facebook at any time except lunch is obviously a no no. In this office we are all adults and have never had any issues with cell phone use.

That's all well and good, but for an owner, you cannot have double standards. That IS illegal. Therefore the rules must be implemented for the weakest link and unfortunately, that would most likely be the abusers and users. A one man shop or even two or three, you can break the rules, but if it's found out by others..... your rules are then considered nonsense and deemed illegal. You'll be the one getting in trouble over some idiot on the phone just using up empty space........

papabud

Lone Wolf
i am in the boat that i really dont care if you diddle with your phone a little.
getting your tasks completed on time and error free is way more important
you can be a hard ass about everything and have a rule for anything.
but whats your end goal.
be supreme ruler or
live life, have fun and make some money.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's all well and good, but for an owner, you cannot have double standards. That IS illegal. Therefore the rules must be implemented for the weakest link and unfortunately, that would most likely be the abusers and users. A one man shop or even two or three, you can break the rules, but if it's found out by others..... your rules are then considered nonsense and deemed illegal. You'll be the one getting in trouble over some idiot on the phone just using up empty space........

That's true. I'm lucky to be in an office with very like minded people so we just flow well.