• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Encoder strip replacement tips

AnimalG82

I need to replace the encoder strip on my JV3 and I haven't done it before. Any tips before I do it? I know to have it powered off and unplugged, but want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure to take off any protective strips on the encoder before installing. Some come with protection some don't. Wear gloves to avoid getting finger grease on the strip and just be careful not to scratch it up. Be extra careful of the metal edges on the machine as they are sharp and can cut the strip or damage it. Put the right side in first and then move to the left. It's much easier to lose the spring when starting from he left so I start from the right. Make sure the strip is in the middle of the sensor but not touching. Overall it's pretty straight forward. Just avoid damaging the strip and losing the spring. I usually move the head back and forth slowly after just to be sure everything is in the right place. The encoder should not move when moving the head back and forth. If it does, it means it's not seated properly.

AnimalG82

Well I managed to screw this up and messed up the strip. Apparently I didn't have it seated properly and when I moved the carriage it bunched up the strip and wrinkled it. Anyone know where I can get a new strip ASAP?!

SA68

Go fast, turn left.
My only problem was not knowing the protective strip was on it, really through me for a loop!

AnimalG82

No pics, but it would be best with a helper. Wife helped with mine. We we both wearing clean nitrile gloves too.
My problem is when I go to move the carriage, its snagging the strip, so I must have something wrong and pics of one installed would help.

rjssigns

My problem is when I go to move the carriage, its snagging the strip, so I must have something wrong and pics of one installed would help.

Is the encoder head out of position? There isn't much clearance and it may have gotten bumped. Seems odd it would catch. I think they are all about the same as far as clips and springs. Maybe it's catching on one of those items?

AnimalG82

Is the encoder head out of position? There isn't much clearance and it may have gotten bumped. Seems odd it would catch. I think they are all about the same as far as clips and springs. Maybe it's catching on one of those items?
I have no idea, I've never messed with this stuff before.

SA68

Go fast, turn left.
Here's a pic of each end. I put the had near the middle and took the cover off when I did mine.

Attachments

• 28946471_10216162367514836_401618462_o.jpg
    28946471_10216162367514836_401618462_o.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 29391725_10216162367154827_411614908_o.jpg
    29391725_10216162367154827_411614908_o.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 154