• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder wheel/disk issue on VJ1604

heyskull

This is some info for everyone with a Valuejet.
We have always had a few issues with the encoder wheel on our VJ1604.
As of yesterday I have found the main problem and it turns out to be the temperature of the print room.
Yesterday was a very sunny day and the central heating had kicked in also making it very warm.
What happens is when the temperature rises above 25degC the encoder disk distorts and touches the sensor.
This causes a judder and can sometimes jump and cause an error.
We have fitted a spacer in the encoder disk which was a way of centralising it. This was an update for the later machines.
Turns out that it stills distorts when it gets too warm it still distorts and jumps or judder.
Has anyone found this problem?
I turned all the radiators off last night on leaving and the temperature is about 18degC this morning and all is fine.

SC

heyskull

Well after another warmish day yesterday the encoder wheel distorted again.
So it was off with the cover and check it all out.
It turns out the encoder disk gets distorted as the heat goes up and it touches the black sensor causing jumps.
I loosened the 2 screws hold the assembly to the shaft and gently tapped it.
It is all back up and running but the sensor is way too close but their is no adjustment on the wheel or the sensor.

SC