• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Entry Level CNC Router

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a small CNC router about 24" x 24" work area.

Before you ask why not 4'x 8'? It's because I have 2 CNC shops close that do all my CNC stuff right now and although both shops do great work, they are very busy and sometimes the lead time is 2 -3 weeks. Also, I don't have the room for a large one.
I'm in the process of putting an online store of dimensional garden and heraldry signs together so the sign sizes will be sizes that are easy to ship.

I'm looking for advice from those of you that have these machines. What brand(s) you have, what you like or dislike ( I like buying USA made), what type of budget should I expect and software suggestions. I don't mind buying a used one but I don't want something that is going to be a maintenance nightmare.... don't have time to deal with that.

Thank you in advance.

Techman

you can build one for about 2 grand. But for the money I would go 4x4.. 95% of my stuff and much of what I see other people run would do well on a 4x4.
Running 2x2 would not be worth the effort to get it or operate it.

There is a number of 2x2 machines on ebay.

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention i would be cutting mostly HDU ( max. 2" thick) Wood (max 3/4" thick) and some plastics like acrylic and Sintra.

d fleming

Thinking of selling my seiko and getting a 4x4 router myself. Zenbot looks decent. Lots of research yet to do!

Eric H

I guess it depends on what sizes you do the most. With a 2x2 you would always be cutting sheets down to fit. With a 4x4 you can usually put a whole 4x8 sheet on and do pull downs for longer panels. I think unless you have a specific product that is going to fit the smaller router, a 4x4 is going to be more versatile in the long run. Also don't know what kind of space or budget you have.

I guess it depends on what sizes you do the most. With a 2x2 you would always be cutting sheets down to fit. With a 4x4 you can usually put a whole 4x8 sheet on and do pull downs for longer panels. I think unless you have a specific product that is going to fit the smaller router, a 4x4 is going to be more versatile in the long run. Also don't know what kind of space or budget you have.

I don't mind cutting something down... I have a panel saw. Besides, my suppliers will cut sheets down for me which is very nice :smile: so no worry there.
I don't have the room for a large router, even the 4x4... the actual footprint on those are larger than I have space for, and the specific products I produce won't be anything larger than 24" x 24" for shipping purposes (most likely not even quite that).

Budget... well I know they're not cheap that's what I need input for, even the expensive one come with there set of problems so i like to do my research before I jump in.

Techman

build your own.

Professional quality drivers and motors will cost you no matter what you get.
The frame work is very easy to do.
2 grand and you can be up in production cutting those softer materials.

build your own.

Professional quality drivers and motors will cost you no matter what you get.
The frame work is very easy to do.
2 grand and you can be up in production cutting those softer materials.

I haven't ruled this option out.
Just curious, since I'm a newbie at this aspect, will my Corel Draw X6 work for CNC? I'm thinking I need extra software (something similar to my RIP for digital printing or cutting ) to drive the router?

1leonchen

for cheap dirt cheap u can get a shape oko and a upgrade kit. jut cut lettering would not recommended engraving.

two a probitix cnc is nice can do some really nice stuff and engraving.

finally skip the night mare but spend on quality by a torchmate 2 by 2 cnc ability to upgrade to steel aluminum pvc and engraving. but cost factor is greater. expandable to two by four

when buying a cnc please remember software is essential. Mach 3 is recommended one and two. also cambam or sheet cam is also recommended on build units. torch mate comes with is own controller box and can recommended software and much more help.

your budget is your limitation. right now i am building a small shapeoko for personal use. but i am saving for a torch mate for my business. i worked for a company that used a gerber dimension and sabre. those thing are rock solid. torchmate compares to a gerber