• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Entry level digital cutter/router?

FatCat

Looking for entry level or off-brand options for a Zund or Kongsberg type of digital flatbed cutter that also has light-duty routing capabilities for things like PVC, sign foam, etc.

Hoping we can find something in the $40k range that will be able to handle 4x8 sheets and 54" wide print material, but I really don't know if such a machine exists in that price range, or manufacturers...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have been looking at this too... Kinda deciding between the vision router/engraver or the Summa.

I haven't found anything sub $50k with digital cutting capabilities other than in China.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Check out ShopBot. We have a 5x10 with a 10-tool changer and if I'm not mistaken it was in the range of 45-50K. The only thing with it is that it's a "kit" that you have to assemble yourself and takes a fair amount of skill to do. But ours runs 10-12 hours a day like a champ.

Ours has to be manually registered for profile cutting graphics, but we've gotten really good at it and its not an issue.

http://www.shopbottools.com/PriceList.pdf

Good Luck

Last edited:

ChrisN

Is used equipment an option? We purchased our Esko i-XL24 from GlobalGarage.com. Currently, there is an i-XL24 with a router, tools, and a conveyor system listed for $45k. That's cheaper and with more options than the one we bought...

FatCat

Check out ShopBot. We have a 5x10 with a 10-tool changer and if I'm not mistaken it was in the range of 45-50K. The only thing with it is that it's a "kit" that you have to assemble yourself and takes a fair amount of skill to do. But ours runs 10-12 hours a day like a champ.

Ours has to be manually registered for profile cutting graphics, but we've gotten really good at it and its not an issue.

http://www.shopbottools.com/PriceList.pdf

Good Luck

A ShopBot is really not the same as a digital flatbed cutter - Shopbot is more of an industrial CNC fabrication machine that typically only routes. A digital flatbed cutter can do many functions such as poster trimming/slicing, scoring, perfing, and contour cut printed images, etc - and also can route...

FatCat

Is used equipment an option? We purchased our Esko i-XL24 from GlobalGarage.com. Currently, there is an i-XL24 with a router, tools, and a conveyor system listed for $45k. That's cheaper and with more options than the one we bought...

Saw that one, ad says it needs a whole new belt as it isn't currently working. To me it seems expensive for the age and condition - maybe I'm wrong, honestly, I just don't know. Again, if we had the budget we'd have a Zund ordered today, we just can't afford the price tag. I looked at the Summa and $60k seems steep for the size - can't even do 4x8 sheets on the smaller one...don't know anything about the Mimaki... was hoping someone would have some alternate ideas of similar machines without a $100k price tag... :wink:

rossmosh

4x8 CNC Router with a 3hp Spindle. Vacuum table. Drag Knife. Optical sensing for digital registration. These are all pretty common in the CNC world.

The router itself with the spindle should be around $20k. The vac table ranges from $2-8k (depends on the vacuum motor you buy). I believe the eye is about $8-10k. The drag knife is the cheapest of the options at about $300.

Multicam definitely has those options available. I'm sure there some other people that can offer it as well. What I will say is don't buy from someone and be their guinea pig. I've known of a few companies that have done that and all of them have had major problems.

FatCat

We have been looking at this too... Kinda deciding between the vision router/engraver or the Summa.

I haven't found anything sub $50k with digital cutting capabilities other than in China.

What kind of price tag on the Vision?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Saw that one, ad says it needs a whole new belt as it isn't currently working. To me it seems expensive for the age and condition - maybe I'm wrong, honestly, I just don't know. Again, if we had the budget we'd have a Zund ordered today, we just can't afford the price tag. I looked at the Summa and $60k seems steep for the size - can't even do 4x8 sheets on the smaller one...don't know anything about the Mimaki... was hoping someone would have some alternate ideas of similar machines without a $100k price tag... :wink:

Just wanted to let you know that the F1612 can actually cut up to a 5' x 10' sheet. The machine just panels the job and advances the sheet using pneumatic clamps and a conveyor belt system. Here is a video showing the process of cutting something longer than one panel size(63" x 47") -

[video=youtube;3hczGCF5aew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hczGCF5aew[/video]

Also, I am not sure if anyone came by the booth in Orlando at ISA last week, but we were routing 4' x 8' sheets of gator foam all day, every day.

If anyone has any questions about cutting larger sheets using the F1612 please feel free to email me at philj@summa.us or contact us by phone at (800)527-7778.

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

FatCat

Just wanted to let you know that the F1612 can actually cut up to a 5' x 10' sheet. The machine just panels the job and advances the sheet using pneumatic clamps and a conveyor belt system. Here is a video showing the process of cutting something longer than one panel size(63" x 47") - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hczGCF5aew.

Also, I am not sure if anyone came by the booth in Orlando at ISA last week, but we were routing 4' x 8' sheets of gator foam all day, every day.

If anyone has any questions about cutting larger sheets using the F1612 please feel free to email me at philj@summa.us or contact us by phone at (800)527-7778.

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Phil, thanks so much for chiming in. I admit I was wrong and didn't understand you could do larger sheets on the smaller Summa. Believe me, we love Summa - our D-140 has been a workhorse for the last 4 years and we would never part with it. I'll try to email for some more information - would like to get more detailed info on the Summa, although sadly the suggested retail price tag of $65k is still a little out of reach for us at the moment.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Phil, thanks so much for chiming in. I admit I was wrong and didn't understand you could do larger sheets on the smaller Summa. Believe me, we love Summa - our D-140 has been a workhorse for the last 4 years and we would never part with it. I'll try to email for some more information - would like to get more detailed info on the Summa, although sadly the suggested retail price tag of $65k is still a little out of reach for us at the moment.

Not a problem and great to hear your D140-R is still powering along. Feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions.

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
A ShopBot is really not the same as a digital flatbed cutter - Shopbot is more of an industrial CNC fabrication machine that typically only routes. A digital flatbed cutter can do many functions such as poster trimming/slicing, scoring, perfing, and contour cut printed images, etc - and also can route...

This is accurate, but they do have drag knife, creasing tools available. A lot of bang for the buck. I came from a smaller shop that had a $250K Zund. The $200K premium for a machine that has a i-cut capabilities seems a waste to me, especially for a smaller shop. Just my $0.02.

ProPDF

Phil you don't have any customers looking to trade in their used F1612 you could cut a deal on do you seeing you just released the new larger table?

FatCat

Multicam seems the closest to our budget yet, though still slightly on the high side.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about the AXYZ trident? Looks similar to the Multicam...

rossmosh

Multicam seems the closest to our budget yet, though still slightly on the high side.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about the AXYZ trident? Looks similar to the Multicam...

Very well known and reputable company. Never used one but the are one of the more well known, established companies out there. A lot of router companies can achieve what you're looking for. Also, as I'm sure you know, a lot of the prices provided are quite negotiable. I'm pretty sure Multicam you can knock at minimum a few grand off whatever they quoted you.

FatCat

Very well known and reputable company. Never used one but the are one of the more well known, established companies out there. A lot of router companies can achieve what you're looking for. Also, as I'm sure you know, a lot of the prices provided are quite negotiable. I'm pretty sure Multicam you can knock at minimum a few grand off whatever they quoted you.

Yes, understood - but again, was really hoping to stay somewhere in the $40k range... $50k..$60k plus is a bit more of a stretch than just a few thousand dollars, will likely be buying in the next 6 months, just doing my research and trying to find out what options we have and the plus and minus of each machine.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Looks like we are going to go the Summa route... It's just the best for the price. The operational efficiency for us just makes up the difference.

I hope we can figure our how to 3d route on it