• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epoxy Paint and Reflective

Bigdawg

Just Me
We are doing a job that involves changing a lot of mailbox numbers (couple hundred I think) after the paint company goes through and paints them. This has to be done in a manner that does not leave the boxes with no number on them for mail delivery, so the plan is to go in... remove some of the lettering - painters will paint, then we'll go back in the next morning and put the new numbers on, then after the mail runs do it all over again until the project is complete.

We have no say whatsoever in the painting. They want reflective numbers on the boxes. The paint they are using is an epoxy base paint and my concern is that putting on numbers 20 hours after painting could cause the adhesive to fail. We are not at all concerned about pulling up paint later if they change numbers - the only reason the numbers will change is when they repaint.

I have no experience with epoxy paint, so does anyone have an idea as to whether this will work?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
There are many different types of epoxy paint and prep is a whole other issue. You should be fine, but also not responsible since your not in charge of the painting and dry time.

studio 440

most epoxys are two part with base and catalyst this creates a chemical cure such as resin combining the paint into a resin.as you know enamels and epoxies cure from the outside in as oppased to lacqer from the inside out . so even if the paint feels hard and dry on the outside it could still be cureing on the inside .most of these application require a full month to completly cure .there are dryer additive and heat that can speed the process.