• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson GS6000 or Mutoh 1614

jmcnicoll

Soon we will be looking for a new solvent printer. I like the epson and hear great things about it. Local Mutoh dealer claims Mutoh's wave pattern is better than Epsons and that their wave pattern uses less ink per sq. foot than
the GS6000. Would like to know what others think? What one would you buy and why???

Jim

printwiz79

Hello,

I am new to the form but have been looking at the site for a couple of years. I subscribed today because of your question and the strong feeling I have on the issue. I have a Epson gs6000. The machine works well. I have a few issues. When it runs a cleaning cycle it wastes a lot of ink. The printer does not have a (wave) technology like Mutoh. A friend of mine has a 1614 and I would rather have the wave tech. It seems like I am replacing ink more than what he is. I know it is hard to tell but that is just my opinion.

My biggest problem is the service. I had a warranty issue and it took them a week to get here. Once they were here they had to order a part. It was backordered. It took another 4 days to get it fixed. NOT HAPPY. In talking with others who own and have problems they also stated that the service was bad. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Mutoh. Hope this helps.

nate

Hello,
The machine works well. I have a few issues. When it runs a cleaning cycle it wastes a lot of ink. The printer does not have a (wave) technology like Mutoh. A friend of mine has a 1614 and I would rather have the wave tech. It seems like I am replacing ink more than what he is. I know it is hard to tell but that is just my opinion. .

Not sure how your RIP is setup, but the GS6000 does indeed have a Wave pattern. It makes extensive used of it. They licensed it from Mutoh- probably one of the many reasons that Mutoh is the one that builds the GS6000.

Also-- are you using anything other than the Very Light Cleaning mode? It doesn't use much ink at all. In our use we've yet to find a need to run any of the other cleaning modes.

ProColorGraphics

This is good for me to read as well as I have been considering these as well. Skinz definitely loves their GS6000, that's for sure. I wish Mutoh would use a 6 color setup.

astro8

Hello,
My biggest problem is the service. I had a warranty issue and it took them a week to get here. Once they were here they had to order a part. It was backordered. It took another 4 days to get it fixed. NOT HAPPY. In talking with others who own and have problems they also stated that the service was bad. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Mutoh. Hope this helps.

What part did they have to order in? I'd be very interested to know...and who's doing the service? I'd be interested to know that as well...
Where do I find these "others" who own and have problems?...a forum?? I (and I'm sure a few others here) would be very interested in talking to them as well...thanks for enlightening us and I look forward to your answers...:thumb:

astro8

Well Printwiz, you've read my posts, you haven't replied so until you do, I'll take it as you're full of crap.

Dogvan

We got an Epson GS6000 last week and it's very impressive. Then again I may be easily impressed, as I've been printing on a Gerber Maxx2 for the last 6 years! I've been running everything on the cheapy 720x720 bidirectional mode and it's flawless, even in slow gradients.

MikePro

Well Printwiz, you've read my posts, you haven't replied so until you do, I'll take it as you're full of crap.
most likely called them on a friday afternoon and they couldnt make it until next wed. didn't explain the issue well enough, and of course a part needed to be ordered and another tech trip required. So what? Things break and if you're relying on warranty to cover your repair costs... sometimes things go a little slower than you'd hope for.
Mutoh better than Epson?!? Yup, he's full of crap.
Epson all the way!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
is this even a valid question. Mutoh's are like welfare
This seems a little harsh.
Considering Mutoh builds the GS6000's for Epson.
Epson also licensed the wave printing technology used in Mutoh printers to be used in the GS6000.
You'd think Mutoh might know a little about what they are doing.

wayne k
guam usa

mark galoob

i guess im confooseld...i was under impression that mutoh made the machines for mutoh and epson and epson made the print heads for mutoh and epson...wave tech is epson based i think...

mark galoob

Graphics2u

i guess im confooseld...i was under impression that mutoh made the machines for mutoh and epson and epson made the print heads for mutoh and epson...wave tech is epson based i think...

mark galoob
I think the Wave is is handled by the firmware for the printer, thus it would be a Mutoh thing. Other print heads are capable of the Wave also. I had a Falcon II Outdoor that used DX4 heads just like many of the Roland's and Mimaki's used, but there was a firmware upgrade that enable the Falcon II to print with the wave. As far as I know that wasn't possible on other Brands using the same heads. I think all the Wave pattern is, is just a pattern to spay the dots in, nothing really special about the head. Maybe I'm wrong though. There are other printers that use the same head as the VJ's such as JV-33 and they don't have the Wave.

Back to this Thread, even though it's over a year old. Comparing the 2 isn't really fair comparison. Other than Mutoh builds them both, the difference in the ink colors makes a big difference. Not so much the Lc, Lm, but the orange and green add alot to the Gamut.