• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Printers

Karen Souza

To anyone who owns the S series Epson Sure Color printers (S60 or S80).....Pros and cons?
Am THINKING about upgrading my printer. Have a Roland VS540....Still not sure about the "NEW" TruVis
after the first generation had so many problems.

CanuckSigns

We've had a s80600 for about 16 months now, it's been pretty much flawless. The colour is amazing, the best I've seen on a printer for signage. The maintenance is pretty much non existent, about 10 minutes a month.

The 2 cons I can think of are:

1 smell, I find the smell quite strong if printing large amounts, however it doesn't bother everyone in the shop, so I might be more sensitive to it.

2 media must be secured to the core if you want to use it, we have had issues when using specialty media that we buy by the yard, if the media isn't taped to the core, when it gets near the end, the printer senses there is no longer tension on the roll and assumes the media is out and stops printing, very annoying on the last foot of a 10 foot print on reflective...

ProPDF

To anyone who owns the S series Epson Sure Color printers (S60 or S80).....Pros and cons?
Am THINKING about upgrading my printer. Have a Roland VS540....Still not sure about the "NEW" TruVis
after the first generation had so many problems.

Epson and a Summa would be my go to. Sell that Roland while it still runs. I would consider buying an S40 also and adding another S40 later. The S40 is going for about $9k after their rebates they never stop offering. The S40 will still print better than any Roland and 2 S40's are faster than 1 S60.

Bly

We've had a 60600 for about a year bought 2nd hand.
We had one persistent nozzle out and had the head replaced under warranty so service can't be beat.
One nozzle out made no difference to print quality anyway.
It's a reliable, fast accurate printer.
If you're used to ecosol output you will love this printer.
The 60600 doesn't have white, orange or light inks but for general sign printing those aren't needed.
The small droplet size means light inks aren't necessary. The 4 colour ink set has plenty of gamut and backlits are stunning.
60600s have an additional dryer too.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
S80600 for 18 months here... virtually flawless machine.
Prints solid colours, prints very fast (sometime too fast... we built our own dryer unit) and gamut is probably the one of the best you'll find at the moment.
We sold our VS-540 for the upgrade and the Epson is light years ahead on every metric you can measure. The only thing missing is the cross cut blade, but I'll take every other benefit to lose that.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
2 media must be secured to the core if you want to use it, we have had issues when using specialty media that we buy by the yard, if the media isn't taped to the core, when it gets near the end, the printer senses there is no longer tension on the roll and assumes the media is out and stops printing, very annoying on the last foot of a 10 foot print on reflective...

Are you sure about this?
I'm sure we've done some prints that have got within millimetres of the end of the roll before.
I'll have to test this out during the week, as I feel like ours will keep printing until the vinyl passes over the media sensor rather than detaches from the roll.

unclebun

It all depends on whether it tries the backtension test on that last foot of vinyl or not. If it does and there's nothing attached to the core, it will ring an alarm and cancel the print.

Tattoosleeve

We had (x2) S30's and recently upgraded to an S60......the new machines are outstanding. We liked the first generation but this last set.......I don't understand why anyone would even consider a Roland at this point......more money, slower, less color gamut. Even the local competing sales rep (Roland/mimaki dealers) have straight up told us that they are very impressive machines.

ProColorGraphics

We've had a s80600 for about 16 months now, it's been pretty much flawless. The colour is amazing, the best I've seen on a printer for signage. The maintenance is pretty much non existent, about 10 minutes a month.

That's odd as I have never had that issue with mine. I run sheets and prints that run to the end, coming off of the core, all of the time. The only time it stops is when it gets far enough in that the sensor is exposed.