• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S40600 or Epson S60600

Epson S40600 or Epson S60600

• Epson S40600

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Epson S60600

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

SignMakeHer

Hello! Now that I've decided to go with an Epson, I'm trying to decide between these two models, the Epson S40600 or Epson S60600.

The only difference between the two is the the S60600 has an additional printhead (8 ink cartridges 2 of each cymk) and this makes the printer print nearly 80% faster.

The price difference:
Epson S40600 - $10,495
Epson S60600 - $15,495

Is the speed truly worth the 5K?

I'm a very small shop but growing. I'll be printing banners and decals and doing som large scale wraps. Any advice or insight?

Thank you!

CanuckSigns

We have the s80600 and it is a true workhorse, you won't go wrong with either of the printers you listed. If you are a 1 person shop, get the s40600, as someone else mentioned, the printer won't be your bottleneck.

Evan Gillette

Like others said, unless you have someone dedicated to production I wouldn't worry about the speed. We added a S40600 last year and have been very happy with it. My guess is that you wont be running it more than 2-4 hours per day on average (depending on what your main market is). You will learn to balance other tasks like contour cutting/weeding/laminating while running a print, and you can usually keep an eye on it while getting other work done.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Agree with the others but it depends on how busy you plan on getting, You’re never going to complain about getting your work done 80% faster. Always gonna help for those rush jobs!

Might be cheaper to get the faster one now than to upgrade/buy another one later. (I should be a salesman!)

flyplainsdrifta

if you can id say go for the dual cmyk. in a year when your shops busier than ever, youll need to do a rush reprint and you will thank yourself for it. Trust me.

TimToad

I have a dumb question for those with 64" printers. How much does a full roll of media, banner, lam weigh?

Asking for a friend with a bad back who keeps hiring lily livered, minimally muscle bound help.

ProPDF

Hello! Now that I've decided to go with an Epson, I'm trying to decide between these two models, the Epson S40600 or Epson S60600.

The only difference between the two is the the S60600 has an additional printhead (8 ink cartridges 2 of each cymk) and this makes the printer print nearly 80% faster.

The price difference:
Epson S40600 - $10,495
Epson S60600 - $15,495

Is the speed truly worth the 5K?

I'm a very small shop but growing. I'll be printing banners and decals and doing som large scale wraps. Any advice or insight?

Thank you!

I don't think %80 faster is exactly accurate on speed S40 vs S60 I think its less actually. I DO know that when it breaks down it won't be printing %100 vs 2 S40 machines. If you are not up and rolling right now I would grab the S40 from Grimco for $9k and 6-12 months later when its time to renew the warranty or expand decide what you want to do and look at just grabbing another s40 or what printer fits your needs. You may even find you want to get a S80 later and keep the S40 as back-up. For the money 2 S40 will output faster at the end of the day I think than 1 s60. If you want to sell a used S40 you will probably get $4k-$5k out of it used and the S60 about the same so you will take a larger hit. The S40 extended warranty is cheaper also. The S60 is a true speed demon, however remember there are about $4500 in print heads and dampers under the hood of a S60 if you get a severe head crash the warranty will never cover it. You may even find Epson releasing a new model soon that will be much better than the S40 and S60 so it will all depend on how you view numbers and what you feel your needs are I think.

SignMakeHer

Thank you for all of your feedback. I ordered the S40600 and when this machine pays for itself a few times I'll add another one to my shop.

My new setup is looking like this:
Epson S40600
Summa D 140R (54")
GFP 363TH 63" Laminator

The only time I plan to print 63" is for wraps so I didn't need a 64" plotter, which my sales rep helped me with to keep costs down. I got the Summa for precision cutting because I already have a 24" cutter that cuts reflective all day long.

What kind plotter of and lam do you guys use?

Evan Gillette

I think you will be very happy with that setup, we run graphtec plotters and currently an older RS laminator but looking to upgrade. Just a heads up, the crate for the epson is HUGE compared to some others. We needed a forklift along with the liftgate to unload it. Its about 10' long, 4' wide and 6' tall.

As for media, we run mostly oracal vinyl, with a small variety of economy (grimco briteline) and specialty films (3M wrap films for some customers) and we have been having good results with grimco's banner material. One of the biggest factors in media choice to me is what my distributor stocks and what their pricing is. If I can consistently get a roll of material next day with free delivery for a competitive price, it is really nice for keeping minimal inventory.

ProPDF

Thank you for all of your feedback. I ordered the S40600 and when this machine pays for itself a few times I'll add another one to my shop.

My new setup is looking like this:
Epson S40600
Summa D 140R (54")
GFP 363TH 63" Laminator

The only time I plan to print 63" is for wraps so I didn't need a 64" plotter, which my sales rep helped me with to keep costs down. I got the Summa for precision cutting because I already have a 24" cutter that cuts reflective all day long.

What kind plotter of and lam do you guys use?

Good choice.
When you get time get on youtube and look up the Summa barcode option. It's a feature where a RIP like Flexi 12 will add a barcode and automate your cutting. It's not perfect but once you get it set up it's a nice workflow feature.

Ghutoz

Well 5k between the 2 machines or 5 k between 1 s60 and 2 s40? Go with s40 then buy another one if your bussiness grow, 2 machine is better than 1 faster

Megagrafix

President
Think about your future....where you will be/going with your business. GO THERE NOW. Don’t play leap frog. By the best, fastest highest quality machine you can afford and get busy. Don’t go in steps i.e. 1, 2 and so on but go directly to the head of the class.

mnapuran

I'm torn on this myself.... Have a Mutoh 1324 now, and had a Mutoh 1304 before that.

I know the S40600 would be fine most of the time, but there are times when we are doing jobs that are 3 day to up to 2+ weeks of printing production 8+ hours a day. Not sure it's worth the price difference though.

The 40 and 60 use completely different heads eh? That's a little worrysome as was mentioned and replacement, etc.

Evan Gillette

I'm torn on this myself.... Have a Mutoh 1324 now, and had a Mutoh 1304 before that.

I know the S40600 would be fine most of the time, but there are times when we are doing jobs that are 3 day to up to 2+ weeks of printing production 8+ hours a day. Not sure it's worth the price difference though.

The 40 and 60 use completely different heads eh? That's a little worrysome as was mentioned and replacement, etc.

Not sure about the heads being different, but if you run that much print it should be a pretty easy choice to go with the 60600 IMO. unless between those jobs it is sitting unused for days at a time. What quality are you printing at for those production runs? Even at 720 6 pass i was impressed with the speed of the 60600.

TomK

I just got a marketing piece I'm the mail, Epson has $6k off their solvent printers for US customers.

Bly

The 60600 has two heads - the 40600 only one.

SignMakeHer

I've been running my S40600 and it's fast and prints beautifully. I'm glad I didn't go with the 2 print heads. I like that it's simplified with 4 color cartridges, I don't need a fan to dry it because it drys on the heater that was included on this right before it goes onto the takeup real. I love it and couldn't be happier. Now I just have to master print and cut/flex cut. I'll post some of the prints when I have time at the end of the week.