• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S80 Take Up

airborneassault

Hello all! I haven't had any luck selling our S80 so I've been using it more and more and discovered something goofy with the automatic take up. It appears to be missing a piece internally, would anybody be willing to take pictures of the highlighted area to help me diagnose this thing?

I did some investigating and found I could trigger the 2 "optical eyes" and make it work on automatic but otherwise it only works on manual mode. I went through the service/user manuals and couldn't find any indication of what is missing inside there. Epson tech wants $2k for a new take up but nothing is wrong with the whole take up. I may end up making a bracket to trigger the eyes but I'm having a hard time imagining what I need to make exactly. Thank you in advance :)

EpsonTUR_1.jpg EpsonTUR_2.jpg

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
It appears to be a hall effect vane sensor. The metal arm with the white nylon piece on it eventually makes its way up into the fork of the sensor as the front bar drops down. This is used to determine when it's time to have the TU roller start doing some work.

c6e0Aeh.jpg

airborneassault

It appears to be a hall effect vane sensor. The metal arm with the white nylon piece on it eventually makes its way up into the fork of the sensor as the front bar drops down. This is used to determine when it's time to have the TU roller start doing some work.

c6e0Aeh.jpg

The white nylon piece is exactly what is missing from mine, very strange. Thank you for posting the picture, talked to tech support and nobody has any idea. I was able to disassemble the metal around it somewhat and using a long piece of sintra make the TU work on auto.

Canuck, optical eye probably isn't the right wording. It's essentially 2 sensors up inside of there, I'm assuming laser, one is always broken and as the bar falls it pushes a piece up into the 2nd "eye" and engages the take up.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
As mentioned above, it's highly likely to be a hall effect vane sensor. It measures changes in magnetic field between the two poles.
When the TU metal arm goes between them it should detect the change in the magnetic field and trigger the roller to start moving until the metal piece is removed (lowered) out of the sensor.

It's difficult to see, but yes I think there might be another sensor to detect when the TU arm is retracted also... makes sense so it can disable the Auto functionality.

airborneassault

The part I'm having a hard time imagining is how it attaches to the front bar. I can't find it in any of the service manuals or even mention of it when initially setting the printer up but by chance is there a part #?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Where has this piece gone in your photo? It appears to be completely missing... if so, I know with certainty why it isn't working.

Attachments

• 1DS_3636.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 163

airborneassault

That’s a perfect question, yes that whole bracketry or arm is completely missing from my bar. The sensors function as they should yet there’s nothing to trigger them.

I bought used so when I contacted the seller I was simply told to get ahold of Epson unfortunately. The seller was kind enough to deliver the machine and the take up was removed to get it into place so I’m certain that piece was overlooked and now lost.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Ahh right... so there we go. Missing metal arm so the sensors aren't doing anything because they have no idea where the dancer arm position is. Finding a spare is going to near impossible I reckon. It's not a piece that wears down or breaks, which is probably why they have no idea about it :(