• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Epson S80600 pausing while printing

Krucz24

About a week and a half ago our printer has been running fine, but at the end of last week we noticed it began to pause for 2-3 seconds on both sides of the media as it printed. The quality isn't affected but the print time has been significantly impacted. We generally print on 54" wide vinyl and a lot of our large scale projects have printed pretty quickly on 6 pass. I've tried googling this issue but haven't found much aside from possibilities being network issues. Our printer uses a usb connection also, not ethernet. Has anyone else had this sort of problem, and if so any insight on a solution would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

CanuckSigns

I would switch to ethernet and see if the problem goes away, USB has issues for production machinery, I've never been a fan of USB in the shop.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
this is a long shot, but how full is your RIP queue? Could it use a little cleaning out?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The theoretical maximum speed of the USB2.0 port is around 60MB/sec (more like 35-45MB/sec in reality), whereas gigabit Ethernet is around 2-3x that at ~100MB/sec.
I'm with CanuckSigns... if possible try to connect via network as USB may be struggling to keep up. I know our Onyx sends data to our S80600 at around 90MB/sec and we don't get any pausing.

CanuckSigns

The theoretical maximum speed of the USB2.0 port is around 60MB/sec (more like 35-45MB/sec in reality), whereas gigabit Ethernet is around 2-3x that at ~100MB/sec.
I'm with CanuckSigns... if possible try to connect via network as USB may be struggling to keep up. I know our Onyx sends data to our S80600 at around 90MB/sec and we don't get any pausing.

Yeah we have 2 laser engravers that connect via USB and nothing but issues with it, 16 foot maximum cable distance, the connection drops fairly often etc.

USB is great for getting grandma's new desktop printer hooked up as its plug and play, but it's just not a reliable type of connection in a production environment.

ikarasu

It sounds more to me like when you add an interpass delay to a latex machine to slow it down and give it more curing time.

I know our old solvent used to have that option... I haven't played with our Epson much besides doing a few rolls of printing, but I imagine there is a similar option to slow it down so it sits over the heater longer.

If it were a data or software issue it'd pause while the data catches up, not sit at each end for an extra 1-2 seconds

Krucz24

Thank you all for the info, we'll give it a shot and see if that fixes it. Boudica, yep we cleared most of the queue as a first step to test it, it wasn't super full but there was a lot of older projects lingering that we deleted. *fingers crossed* lol

Heybetty

Had the same pausing problems with an EPSON S30670 and S70670. The carriage rails were bone dry. Cleaned and greased them up. No more pausing.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We get this same issue intermittently. Still can't figure it out. We are now in a new building with brand new network/cables/etc. It does seem to do it more when the RIP que has more in it, but we see it just as much on little bitty jobs as we do on big wrap prints. Seems to happen less often with the newer Onyx than it did with the older version.