• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson surecolor S80600 ink dry time? vs Ecosol Max 2

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
Hey there! Wondering if any one can give me a real life experience with ink dry time the Epson s80600.We had a roland XR640 with ecosol max2 inks and white ink installed and it was painfull having to wait 24-48 hours before being able to manipulate white prints. Anyone able to give me a comparison? Epson's slogan ''Solvent printing Solved'' caught our attention. Looking to purchase one if the inks dry that much quicker, especially the white. Wondering if the opacity of the white is anything close to UV also! Thanks for your help!

CL Visual

I can't comment on drying times but the epson S80 was on the top of our original list to purchase. I determined that it's just not worth buying a solvent machine with white. The test prints I did at multiple shows and showrooms weren't that great with white. As far as I have seen, UV is the way to go when you need white.

CanuckSigns

We went from an xr640 to an Epson s80600, we do not run white ink in either machine, but the ink does dry faster off the Epson for sure, also the print quality is like night and day in favour of the Epson.

The Epson is also significantly faster, you can print most day to day stuff on 6 pass with no issues which is faster than the Roland's high speed setting, and for higher end stuff you print on 12 pass which is about equal to the Roland's standard speed.

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
We went from an xr640 to an Epson s80600, we do not run white ink in either machine, but the ink does dry faster off the Epson for sure, also the print quality is like night and day in favour of the Epson.

The Epson is also significantly faster, you can print most day to day stuff on 6 pass with no issues which is faster than the Roland's high speed setting, and for higher end stuff you print on 12 pass which is about equal to the Roland's standard speed.
Awesome so glad to hear!! Thanks

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
I can't comment on drying times but the epson S80 was on the top of our original list to purchase. I determined that it's just not worth buying a solvent machine with white. The test prints I did at multiple shows and showrooms weren't that great with white. As far as I have seen, UV is the way to go when you need white.
Hey there! The tests you did with white were on the S80?

ProColorGraphics

I have silver in my S80, so I can't help with the white part. I do have white in my S70 though. I think the new GS3 ink is a little different (better), although it's still not close to that of the UV printer I have. I still think it works good for certain things, and I use it for quite a few different projects still, just don't count on it being super opaque.

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop

Hi

We got our Epson S60600. The inks are extremely fragile. We are able to scratch the ink after 24 hours of dry time by manipulating the prints around the shop. A simple brush of the hand will scratch the prints. Also we print on wallpaper and the inks dilute off the panels when rubbed with water. Our XR640 never did this. I was under the impression that these inks would dry faster and be more resistant.. is any of what I’m saying seem familiar?

Thanks for your help!

CanuckSigns

Hi

We got our Epson S60600. The inks are extremely fragile. We are able to scratch the ink after 24 hours of dry time by manipulating the prints around the shop. A simple brush of the hand will scratch the prints. Also we print on wallpaper and the inks dilute off the panels when rubbed with water. Our XR640 never did this. I was under the impression that these inks would dry faster and be more resistant.. is any of what I’m saying seem familiar?

Thanks for your help!
I replied to this in the other thread, but to answer your question, we have not noticed any of these issues, all the prints we have done have been extremely durable and certainly wouldn't be affected by normal handling around the shop. I don't have any experience with wallpaper, have you tried lowering your ink limits?

nitro2010

Randy
Hey there! Wondering if any one can give me a real life experience with ink dry time the Epson s80600.We had a roland XR640 with ecosol max2 inks and white ink installed and it was painfull having to wait 24-48 hours before being able to manipulate white prints. Anyone able to give me a comparison? Epson's slogan ''Solvent printing Solved'' caught our attention. Looking to purchase one if the inks dry that much quicker, especially the white. Wondering if the opacity of the white is anything close to UV also! Thanks for your help!
I have a Roland XC-540 and Epson S80600 and the ink dries in about 1/4 of the time on the Epson than the Roland and print much faster as well.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The Epson inks in the new series offer same day lamination, but previous generation was still I think out-gassed after a few hours, even though they don't say so.. We have the previous generation with white ink (70670 / 70675) and it is "white", I haven't seen anything better off a roll-to-roll yet. It is ink so it is not a "block-out" like UV, more like just cut white vinyl is going to appear. Our customers have been happy with the prints. We have printed double-sided prints with white in-between, white on clear, and white on white reflective. Pretty cool effects.

We have an S60600 here also, but it is dual-cmyk and FLIES. We already had tow with white ink that doesn't get used much so just went with speed on this one.

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
I have never seen or owned a better built roll to roll printer than my Epson S60600, The print quality and colors are unmatched, speed is incredible. However we are returning this to the dealer. The inks are far more delicate once dry than the roland eco sol max 2 we once used for the same applications. A gentle swipe of the hand will scuff or scratch the prints. These inks cannot be used for direct application contact without lamination. Even our dealer agrees. They will be taking it back at no cost to us. We will be buying another Mimaki UCJV300-160 to replace it. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yeah, something isn't right with your setup. We get none of the problems you do... even when scrubbing the prints with a scourer and water.
I suspect media or process issues.
The Mimaki will be a big let down in print quality from the Epson. We tested one before we bought the 80600.

CanuckSigns

Yeah, something isn't right with your setup. We get none of the problems you do... even when scrubbing the prints with a scourer and water.
The Mimaki will be a big let down in print quality from the Epson. We tested one before we bought the 80600.

I agree, the prints off our s80600 are extremely durable, I took my fingernail and scratched very hard on a print yesterday and I couldn't get it to leave a mark. Does your dealer have a demo machine you can try out and see if you get the same results off it.

ProColorGraphics

He's talking about the new UV r-2-r that Mimaki just came out with. I just got some samples and I was impressed with the quality from it.

ProColorGraphics

I have never seen or owned a better built roll to roll printer than my Epson S60600, The print quality and colors are unmatched, speed is incredible. However we are returning this to the dealer. The inks are far more delicate once dry than the roland eco sol max 2 we once used for the same applications. A gentle swipe of the hand will scuff or scratch the prints. These inks cannot be used for direct application contact without lamination. Even our dealer agrees. They will be taking it back at no cost to us. We will be buying another Mimaki UCJV300-160 to replace it. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer.
I have been thinking about getting a new Mimaki UCJV300-160 myself. That is good to know that you would get another one.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I agree, the prints off our s80600 are extremely durable, I took my fingernail and scratched very hard on a print yesterday and I couldn't get it to leave a mark. Does your dealer have a demo machine you can try out and see if you get the same results off it.

I also tried scratching some ink off a canvas print offcut this morning. Nearly destroyed the canvas before ink finally started to come off.

He's talking about the new UV r-2-r that Mimaki just came out with. I just got some samples and I was impressed with the quality from it.

Hmm, well I do know that we tested a Mimaki UV R2R printer and the colours were rather poor in comparison to the Epson.
Perhaps it wasn't setup correctly or profiled correctly, but I'm fairly sure it was the UCJV300.

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
I also tried scratching some ink off a canvas print offcut this morning. Nearly destroyed the canvas before ink finally started to come off.

Hmm, well I do know that we tested a Mimaki UV R2R printer and the colours were rather poor in comparison to the Epson.
Perhaps it wasn't setup correctly or profiled correctly, but I'm fairly sure it was the UCJV300.

The UCJV300-160 is a brand new model. First shipments were last December. I highly recommend this printer. It is a true Tank and delivers incredible quality.

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
We tried the same prints on another S60600 and a s40600. Both other printers yielded same results. I would love to see a video of someone on here print an image on gloss vinyl or canvas and try to scratch with a fingernail. Many people here seem to say the inks are rock solid. I really do want this printer as I love the machine. But our prints are all to fragile. Very disappointing.

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
Can anyone specify on what media you are printing with the epson surecolor that the inks do not scratch? I really would like to resolve this issue if it is true. Also is everyone using the new Ultra Chrome GS3 inks? These are the inks I am using. Thanks!

Last edited:

Decomurale

Custom wallpaper shop
I will post a video shortly of prints off the epson that i can scratch. It is sunday night. This was printed friday end of day..

Last edited: