• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Surecolor S80600 Ink Usage

swordguy3222

Looking at this machine, looks very nice and the color gamut is supposed to be the best. I wanted to know from people who won one, how much ink does it take for running banners or decal jobs? Full color banner at 4x8 would use how much ink(ml or $)? Wouldn't make sense for us if it sucks up ink fast and costs 1000$/month in ink.

FatCat

I don't know firsthand, but I believe this has an Epson DX7 head, which is basically the same/similar to most current solvent machine heads like the Mutoh 1624x, Mimaki, Roland, etc. They all use "about the same" amount of ink - but as always, the profile you pick, resolution and ink coverage all come in to play. Very easy to figure out cost per ml, just divide total cost by the ml per cartridge and voila! Most OEM inksets will cost between .25 - 35¢/ml on average. If you use a fair amount of ink (we do) go bulk 3rd party and usually can get your costs down to less than .10¢/ml.

Also, not to go off track here, but I think you might be looking at this all wrong. If you're spending $1,000/mo in ink, who cares?!??
You should be making at least $20k in wide format sales/mo if you're spending that much in ink...lol.

31legen

I have had mine for 3 weeks now and i havent noticed any irregular ink usage. Like fat kat stated its a dual dx7 head. It really is the best printer available in my opinion.

ProColorGraphics

I have had mine since October. It seems about the same as any other printer I have had. If your goal is quality and color gamut, this is the printer. The quality is amazing!

bilge

I don't own, but seen in the exhibition in China. Print quality is almost like desktop photo printers'. It has double 10 channel TPF printheads aka DX10. Too fancy for banners. The rep said I'd expect 2 CNY per ml ink which is about 30 cents, 10-20 ml per sq.m. depending on density. 4x8 banner is 3 sq.m. But I didn't get information how much ink wasted during cleaning process. This printer is not sold well over there, due to no aftermarket ink.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Just an FYI, we just printed two 8x4' banners of near solid black (some red text on a black background) and it worked out to 35mL of coverage for each banner.
Profiles would make a slight difference, but there's a ballpark for you.

solock

Loose numbers based on high coverage on the epson line of solvent printers has been around 1ml/sqft. It has been true on our GS6000, S70 and now S80600 as well. SOme a bit under some a bit over but over a lot of prints with pretty solit the 1ml/sqft has helt accurate for my math...

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Solock, that's pretty close to the mark. I was giving a nice worst-case scenario with nearly full black coverage to show maximum possible ink usage.

Here are a couple of screenshots from the Epson "LFP Accounting Tool" used to pull this data directly from the machine after job completion.

Print summary:

Capture.JPG

Job detail:
Capture2.JPG

Printsol

For me, after printing 1000 sq.m. the maximum is 1.5 Eur / sq. m. considering that the price of any of CMYK cartridges is 84 EUR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfiscus

Rap Master
Just an FYI, I recommend going with the 60600 model. Epson STILL DOES NOT GUARANTEE the other colors...
We just installed one last month and love it, it blows away our previous generation Epsons and I thought they were nice.
It isn't sucking ink like some older generation solvent printers, in fact the ink cost for the co-branded 3M MCS inks is actually lower than our other Epsons' regular inks.
We still go through thousands of $$$ ink ink every month at $150/cart and 8 carts, but charge accordingly and make big bucks!

The color gamut from the dual CMYK should still be exceptional to you; it works for all we do, but what do I know?

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
If you run a decent enough RIP, you could create profiles without orange/red and get full MCS warranty on the 80600.
The 3M website even mentions it on the MCS warranty matrix.
That being said, the 60600 is an absolute beast and speed still baffles me. Our 80600 feels like it already prints too fast sometimes.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you run a decent enough RIP, you could create profiles without orange/red and get full MCS warranty on the 80600.
The 3M website even mentions it on the MCS warranty matrix.
That being said, the 60600 is an absolute beast and speed still baffles me. Our 80600 feels like it already prints too fast sometimes.
That's how we have our 70675 & 70670 set up now. We were previously using the additional orange ink, but after Epson said "sorry" about some fading we had, we changed up our profiles...
We have had these printers for a couple years and only very rarely used the white ink and have never used the silver ink so we knew we didn't need those.
The 60600 is unbelievably fast.

mdjamesd

The 60600 Changed the layout of my day. Stupidly fast. The take up system is leaps and bounds ahead of the older style on the S30.