• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Error Code E079 Err. Commu.

MandyProto

Please help, I am beyond frustrated with this machine!.
I have more down time then run time, and now its giving me an error Code E079 Err. Commu.
my research is telling me it is a commu error between the heating unit and the board. well now what?
Tips on how to fix this?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
So I'm going to guess that you have some sort of ValueJet but if you could give a model that will help. Error 79 means the main board is not communicating with the heater junction board. The heater junction board does not run the heaters believe it or not. It actually runs the ink cartridge system. It is located directly behind the ink cartridges. It will have a Cat5 Ethernet cable connected to it that runs all the way to the main board. If that is damaged or unplugged for whatever reason, that is the issue. Just unplug it and plug it back in and see if that makes a better connection. If that doesn't help, you will need to have the boards look at and repaired or replace them with new ones.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ha ha. Well it's basically a Mutoh ValueJet with Xerox's name on it. Check that cable and even air dust it out to make sure it makes a good connection. If everything else is working properly, I would start with the heater junction board if cleaning out the cable terminal doesn't work.

MandyProto

I changes all the chips, and re inserted the cartridges .. at this point it is refilling the inks .. Can I prevent this from happening in the future?

MandyProto

Ha ha. Well it's basically a Mutoh ValueJet with Xerox's name on it. Check that cable and even air dust it out to make sure it makes a good connection. If everything else is working properly, I would start with the heater junction board if cleaning out the cable terminal doesn't work.
How do I do this ? Can you tell I don't usually do my own ... but I have to learn

MandyProto

Can you please give me a bit more info on this process .. Very very green at troubleshooting this machine.
Im so frustrated, my next move it to take it out to the curb

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You are going to have to take the top right cover off, when looking at the printer from the front, and you should be able to see the board from there. It'a about 4" x 8" and will have an Ethernet cable plugged into it. That's the cable you need to take out and clean the terminal and then plug it back in. The other end of that cable is on the main board. There is a box hooked up to the bottom of the printer that has hinges on it. Take out the screws holding it up and you will be able to swing it open on the hinges. The main board is in there and is the biggest board towards the right, from the back of the machine.

MandyProto

You are going to have to take the top right cover off, when looking at the printer from the front, and you should be able to see the board from there. It'a about 4" x 8" and will have an Ethernet cable plugged into it. That's the cable you need to take out and clean the terminal and then plug it back in. The other end of that cable is on the main board. There is a box hooked up to the bottom of the printer that has hinges on it. Take out the screws holding it up and you will be able to swing it open on the hinges. The main board is in there and is the biggest board towards the right, from the back of the machine.
Thank you. The cover has been off for years. Iv pulled out and cleaned the ethernet cable as suggested.

Attachments

• 20180124_140956.jpg
    20180124_140956.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 352

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not sure what model that machine is compared to for the Mutohs so it may be more like the 1304 and 1204 where the main board is underneath the back platen. That long metal piece that runs along the back of the machine where the media normally runs through. If there is no box, then that is where the main board should be.

MandyProto

I'm not sure what model that machine is compared to for the Mutohs so it may be more like the 1304 and 1204 where the main board is underneath the back platen. That long metal piece that runs along the back of the machine where the media normally runs through. If there is no box, then that is where the main board should be.
OK got that off .. extremely dusty and dirty, cleaned it up ... fingers crossed.

boyan

OK got that off .. extremely dusty and dirty, cleaned it up ... fingers crossed.

Hello Did you have any luck, I just bought a used mutoh vj 1204 have seen it printing then it was shipped freight. Unfortunately i have no inks to test it until tomorrow, but when I start it it powers on then initializing and when it says ink refill ... it starts flashing and e079 comes on. Is it because ink cartriges are not intalled or ? Maybe I will open a new thread. Very new to this