• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EstiMate 2 Issue

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Alrighty, we just had the computer that stores our EstiMate 2 eat the hard one Saturday ... hard drive is fine so I'm sucking it clean into an external hard drive ... issue is ... if I add estimate to the new computer, how do I get this old data backup into the new system? I'm thinking it should just copy and done .. but before I bother EstiMate (3 day turn around on any issue) I would ask you guys first.

2B

Alrighty, we just had the computer that stores our EstiMate 2 eat the hard one Saturday ... hard drive is fine so I'm sucking it clean into an external hard drive ... issue is ... if I add estimate to the new computer, how do I get this old data backup into the new system? I'm thinking it should just copy and done .. but before I bother EstiMate (3 day turn around on any issue) I would ask you guys first.

if the hard drive is fine, why are you transferring the files?
add the old drive to the new machine, all your data and an extra HD

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
2b - don't have the new machine yet, and I need 90% of the files that are on there now ... so onto the external hard drive that is linked to the network.

oh and also, keep in mind, you really start having OS issues if you throw a hard drive into a new computer as a master (especially going from an old AMD processor to anything new) and slaving only gets you the data ... which you still need to transfer ... and I still need to know if copying the data of estimate into a new install of it won't corrupt the software and that it is as easy as it seems.

2B

2b - don't have the new machine yet, and I need 90% of the files that are on there now ... so onto the external hard drive that is linked to the network.

oh and also, keep in mind, you really start having OS issues if you throw a hard drive into a new computer as a master (especially going from an old AMD processor to anything new) and slaving only gets you the data ... which you still need to transfer ... and I still need to know if copying the data of estimate into a new install of it won't corrupt the software and that it is as easy as it seems.

if need now different story,
Never used that software so good luck

would never place an old HD as a master, only as a slave

mbarden

I don't think the database works that way. Not something you can slam into place and have it add to any new estimate database. You need to do a backup the DB from the old machine and Restore the DB to the new machine after reinstalling the app. Any estimates you have written on the new machine will be lost as the restore procedure overwrites the DB.
Mike B

SameDay Signs

I would just take it to a pc guy have everything stored and backed up onto a new hd then buy a new pc and switch the hd with the new hd.

On the other not though and a little off subject how is Estimate? I was going to actually give it a demo sometime this week I was thinking because I've heard good things but any opinions?

CanuckSigns

we use estimate 2 here, how long ago was your last backup? estimate backs up to a .zip file and only needs that one file to restore from. If you have that you're golden.

it's annoying that estimate doesn't have a schuduled backup option where you can set it to backup at the end of each day, but then again, there are quite a few things that are missing from 2.0 that I think were never implemented due to the new cloud based version, with it's monthly fee structure.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Well, sadly, last backup wasn't in the last few years. from the FAQ I found that I could just copy the data folder .. which should contain all my info (atleast the estimates) ... but doesn't say anything about loading them ... we shall see when I try to load it back into a data folder and try to select it as the load point for the database.

Sameday ... HD is fine ... but you really can't just slam a hard drive into a new machine as the master drive without some major flashing of the drives OS so it doesn't see a round hole and try to stick a square peg into it ... also that can cost upwards of $300 for a computer tech to do ... and I think the new machine only costs $400. also, I still need to be able to back it up now in case there are delays on the new machine.

Estimate 2 is fine ... it does invoices great, keeps a decent record of them and easy to print/export. I don't like the invoice estimator ... since my brain is better at it ... but on brain **** days it's good as a jumping point. doesn't have some basic **** like active/inactive invoices (being able to mark them as paid for example) or other stuff, maybe in the new versions they do ... but I don't spend money month to month on software.

but being in a shop that only needs to be able to make an invoice, pass it to the customer (while keeping one for ourself) and net 30 accounts to just have a hard copy on file until paid ... just fine.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Just figure I should follow up on this post. reloading data is really simple, just copy the old data folder into the new data folder, run the program and it's all there.