• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EstiMate and Windows 10

Jean Shimp

Will EstiMate software run correctly on Windows 10? I have been using this software for several years. I tried going on their website to find answers but their "support" link does not seem to be working.

Kottwitz-Graphics

nope.

I just ran into that issue a few months ago when my windows 8.1 laptop hinge broke (gotta love hp laptops). I searched for another laptop that had windows 8, and had no luck. So I had to go to Windows 10, and it will not run Estiate. Nor would it run Corel 15, so I had to upgrade to Corel 18, in addition to put Estimate on my old desktop that is running XP, and am limited to doing estimates at the office, and not have the convenience of being on my laptop.

WildWestDesigns

With the rolling release nature of Win 10, I wouldn't expect any legacy software to actually still be viable on that platform indefinitely.

If you still require legacy software, for whatever reason, it's going to be best to VM the older OS at this point (I'm not a fan of dual booting or keeping legacy hardware around).

Win 10, for quite a few reasons, is actually not the best platform for a production environment. Just the rolling release nature of it in the first place kills it in that regard. At least, if you require a modern version of Windows and you keep a VM of your production software, that can, to a degree, isolate the woes of Win 10 and it's rolling release fubars.

WildWestDesigns

I have no clue what you just said.

Virtual machines essentially are running an OS within another OS. A lot of Mac users will run a program like Parallels to do that with Windows based programs. I use Virtualbox on Linux to have my older Win programs running (date back to the DOS days a couple of them).

This will be heavily dependent on how good the resources are of the computer in question. Use a low resource computer, not going to have a good experience. Use a resource rich computer, let's just say, I can run a VM within another VM and that 2nd VM still runs as if it was on physical hardware and not in a VM. Let alone within another VM.

tbullo

Superunknown
For those running Estimate 2.0 on Windows 10, did you do a straight install or the VM method? Since most are likely to be switching to windows 10, this may get more attention for Estimate users. I have tried installing it once and it would just lock up. So I'm curious how you got it to function. Thanks

WildWestDesigns

For those running Estimate 2.0 on Windows 10, did you do a straight install or the VM method? Since most are likely to be switching to windows 10, this may get more attention for Estimate users. I have tried installing it once and it would just lock up. So I'm curious how you got it to function. Thanks

When you installed it, did you try it in compatibility mode for XP SP3?

It will only be a matter of time for a program with XP as the min requirement won't run on Win 10 (as that means that it was compiled and built on XP). I've known others to get a 9x or XP program to run in Win 10 when it first came out and then an update caused something that caused the program to not work right or the OS deleted it from the computer and gave them a msg in the notifications as to what happened.

As much of a fan of VMing that I am, I looked at the specs for Estimate 2.0 and the specs that it needs to run, in my mind make me wonder if it's worth it, especially if it's the only program that you need the VM for. Estimating 'software' in general can be replicated (quite nicely, depending on how much time/willingness dedicated to it) in a spreedsheet file at the very least, or if you are decent with HTML, CSS and JS as an Electron desktop app (what I did and I have it set up to also build for Windows if for whatever reason I have to go back to that OS as my main OS). I only suggest this as normally it's just easier (and cheaper (not just thinking in terms of money either, but time spent)) to just update the software, but after looking at their prices and it being subscription software, I don't think so.