• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate forms

Mark H

Good afternoon,

I am sure that down the road I will need a subscription to some type of estimating program but for the near term a good form will probably do. does anyone haven that they recommend? Signcraft has one, is it a good place to start?

Thanks,
Mark

TimToad

Good afternoon,

I am sure that down the road I will need a subscription to some type of estimating program but for the near term a good form will probably do. does anyone haven that they recommend? Signcraft has one, is it a good place to start?

Thanks,
Mark

We use QuickBooks as our office management software and use it for both written estimates, invoices, statements, etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd get Quickbooks or some other software setup. Otherwise, you'll be all over the place with quotes. With one of the many software packages, you can input all kindsa information item by item and customize them to fit certain customers, too. You're gonna hafta do it eventually, so why not spend the money now and start out right ??

dypinc

Good afternoon,

Thanks,
Mark

Why a subscription? Look at something like Morning Flight http://www.printfire.com/index.html for estimating, no subscription needed. Combine that with a accounting package like Quickbooks where you can enter everything only once and use various (user createable) forms for each stage of the process.

WildWestDesigns

We based our forms off of the ones shown on this site and they work perfect for our small shop.

I would do something along this. Use a pre-done form as a template and then add in what you need for your own specific shop.

Most of these types of forms are some CSV backend (which can be created in paid or free apps). What is different is the window dressing front end. You may not even need the window dressing front end either. Some go for just the more utilitarian look. Now, integration with other programs, that's where it being just a csv backend can take a little twist.

Now I will say this, sometimes it's more efficient to get something that is purchased versus taking the time to do something yourself, but I wouldn't say this is the case in the following:

Good afternoon,

I am sure that down the road I will need a subscription to some type of estimating program ....

Not with the only known prereq being a need for estimating software.

Why a subscription? Look at something like Morning Flight http://www.printfire.com/index.html for estimating, no subscription needed. Combine that with a accounting package like Quickbooks where you can enter everything only once and use various (user createable) forms for each stage of the process.

There used to also be a MM that hocked GraphixCalc as well. Hadn't seen them on here in quite a while though. Just another option.

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Are you currently using this? It looks like it's more tailored to offset/paper printing - can it be customized to work with the sign industry?

Thanks.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Quickbooks. Intuit sorted all this out years ago and it has become the industry standard. Keeps track of client info, estimates, and invoicing without having to enter information multiple times. Also takes care of book-keeping functions. Inexpensive, and can grow with your company. Sends out estimates, invoices and statements right from the program.

Perhaps you are asking about some sort of estimating "checklist." I would go out and buy Dan Hale's book and do what he says:
https://www.amazon.com/How-Estimate-Price-Signs-Hale/dp/0944094414