• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimating Software

xtreme872

whats everyone using? currently using estimate and like it but they have done nothing to upgrade it in the last 10 years. I really would like something I cloud based where I could access from anywhere?

2B

there are SEVERAL threads already related to this.
Please try the search function

these are cloud based
Corebridge Software
ShopVox

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I figure my cost (materials + labor x markup). Then I type it up using Quickbooks.

I know of several big sign companies who use relational databases and inventory control software to automate the estimating process. The amount of work that goes into the front end development and maintenance of a system like this precludes me from even considering an automated system.

I have a small business branding and marketing business. The types of sign products I sell (commercial signs, vehicle wraps, storefronts, way finding, promotional) are usually bundled into projects and pricing is based on overall project value. I am very familiar with costs, so I can do much of this in my head, and I have vendors that will give me quick quotes. An automated system would be cumbersome.

On the other hand, if you have a multi-department production facility and a coordinated workflow with many employees, an automated system becomes both more possible and desirable. Information collected on inventory and vendor supplies and pricing will be used by sales, marketing, production, and accounting. The cost of developing and maintaining multiple databases will be spread out over several departments and multiple users. Automated estimating would also be sensible and cost effective you have an order fullfillment business or a standardized product line.

Beware the temptation to purchase an automated estimating/workflow software package with the expectation that it will solve your pricing problems. Beginners will often be attracted to estimating programs because they do not have experience, and experienced estimators can be deceived into thinking an automated program will make pricing easier. Yes, under certain conditions and scale many companies will naturally evolve an automated database process, but most small custom shops (under $1 mil. annual revenues or so) will not benefit from it.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I figure my cost (materials + labor x markup). Then I type it up using Quickbooks.

I know of several big sign companies who use relational databases and inventory control software to automate the estimating process. The amount of work that goes into the front end development and maintenance of a system like this precludes me from even considering an automated system.

I have a small business branding and marketing business. The types of sign products I sell (commercial signs, vehicle wraps, storefronts, way finding, promotional) are usually bundled into projects and pricing is based on overall project value. I am very familiar with costs, so I can do much of this in my head, and I have vendors that will give me quick quotes. An automated system would be cumbersome.

On the other hand, if you have a multi-department production facility and a coordinated workflow with many employees, an automated system becomes both more possible and desirable. Information collected on inventory and vendor supplies and pricing will be used by sales, marketing, production, and accounting. The cost of developing and maintaining multiple databases will be spread out over several departments and multiple users. Automated estimating would also be sensible and cost effective you have an order fullfillment business or a standardized product line.

Beware the temptation to purchase an automated estimating/workflow software package with the expectation that it will solve your pricing problems. Beginners will often be attracted to estimating programs because they do not have experience, and experienced estimators can be deceived into thinking an automated program will make pricing easier. Yes, under certain conditions and scale many companies will naturally evolve an automated database process, but most small custom shops (under $1 mil. annual revenues or so) will not benefit from it.

A few questions...
1) Are you figuring material costs, labor, & markup for each line item from some sort or past records, form, just memory?

2) Are you using the cloud version of QB?

3) From you point of view, what exactly is any software package "automating" about the process?

WildWestDesigns

A lot of estimating software has a CSV backend to it, creating something in a spreadsheet like program will work and if "you" were to do it yourself, it would be specifically tailored for you. Depending on how fancy you get with it, could have a nice GUI, but it's still essentially a CSV backend.

Now, this is just for the estimating/quoting end of things. Coming up with one's own estimating/quoting solution is more time consuming then it is difficult.

If you are wanting more then that, could be looking at a CRM solution.

Some hosting companies have solutions that have modules to run it through your website, some are paid for, some are free. Some are even Open Source (sometimes that's free, sometimes it's not, open source doesn't in of itself mean free).

There are some total CRM packages that are self hosting as well that would be cloud based, just on your cloud and not someone else's. This option requires more knowledge from the user, so may not be what you are looking for, but it is an option. Again, paid and free, closed and open source versions of that.

I'm not going to deny that I'm not biased to open source, I like the ability to scale as I see fit, not when someone else does. However, this is totally going to depend on what your needs and abilities are. It isn't for everyone.

I do believe some type of solution is better then nothing, regardless of the level of business, just the solution should be on the same level that the business is at. Don't necessarily go totally high on the hog when the business isn't at a level to sustain that. Some CRM solutions are very cost prohibitive, especially the cloud based ones (which doesn't make sense to me, but I digress) that are closed sourced and subscription.