• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched/frosted Glass Vinyl?

gurlwithapen

Ok, i feel completely stupid asking this question, but I have also asked my vinyl supplier and they were clueless.
Looking for an etched/frosted glass vinyl to simulate frosted glass look.
I want it to be clear color, if that makes sense.
I was given options of: Oracal 8810 in a myriad of colors, the closest to what i'm looking for is a grey/silver....and Oracal 8510 (also in a silver color)

Of course, my supplier does not have samples of this and I will have to pay a restocking fee if it is not the right thing...and they honestly didnt know much about the look of what i'm talking about. I have attached a pic of the "look" of the etched glass vinyl I'm looking for...

So, anyone used it before and if so, what vinyl? Feeling like a noob here... ;)

Thanks!

John in Cali

Can't be certain, but it looks like the first picture is etched glass vinyl, and the second is frosted. Etched has more a flat finish, and frosted has a sparkly finish.

gurlwithapen

i have the oracal color chart, but they are not on there. called signwarehouse to get a chart with them, and was told they dont have them on any color chart. will try fellers. thanks!

AUTO-FX

That's ridiculous, of course SW has it. Those chicks that answer the phone in the order dept are in left field.
The full size Oracal Graphic Films Color Guide has them all. Colored films, 085,056,055,090,091, Series 8510 090 silver, 091 gold, 094 silver coarse, 095 gold coarse
The silver 090 is likely the one you're looking for. They all , from all manufacturers, have a degree of "silver" embedded in them.

I'm pretty sure the etched glass and frosted glass cast film you speak of is in our Oracal color charts. I've used the Oracal silver grey etched glass cast and it looks great. The stuff in your picture looks a little different though. I'm thinking that's the frosted glass cast you're looking for.

The only thing I noticed about the etched glass cast is that its not as tough as regular cast vinyl film. You have to be very careful with it so it doesn't tear, in other words. Never worked with the frosted glass film, so I can't say on that. When I use it I apply it to the inside of the window. I'm assuming that's the recommended way to apply it. It makes a nice background accent if you use it as a drop shadow on the inside of a window and use regular vinyl on the outside of the window.

slipperyfrog

Just another option.

A stronger, more durable alternative that looks better than any of the etched vinyl would be window film(tint). However that would take you to completely different installation.

We use the following material for etched decorative work. Designs are cut by plotter and then installed as a tint would be.

http://www.coloredfilms.com/etchfrost.aspx

MikePro

3M 7725SE is all I use. Both dusted crystal and frosted crystal.
Even though dusted crystal looks more like true "etched glass", everyone seems to prefer frosted crystal as it has a LOT more sparkle to it. Both cast materials, cut/weeds great, and wet applies really well.

petepaz

i have been using mactac bubble free glass etch, they have matte dusted and frosted translucent. one of them might be what you are looking for and the bubble free feature is very helpfull because you can dry install. fellers and nazdar both carry it

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Fellers....

I found this stuff easier to use over other solid color vinyls for some reason. Did a large office a couple years back.

Ken

I'm pretty sure the etched glass and frosted glass cast film you speak of is in our Oracal color charts. I've used the Oracal silver grey etched glass cast and it looks great. The stuff in your picture looks a little different though. I'm thinking that's the frosted glass cast you're looking for.

The only thing I noticed about the etched glass cast is that its not as tough as regular cast vinyl film. You have to be very careful with it so it doesn't tear, in other words. Never worked with the frosted glass film, so I can't say on that. When I use it I apply it to the inside of the window. I'm assuming that's the recommended way to apply it. It makes a nice background accent if you use it as a drop shadow on the inside of a window and use regular vinyl on the outside of the window.
Nice idea about using as a shadow behind the glass...thanks.
We use the Avery etched material..it also is a little "weaker' as far as handling, but great adhesion. Ken