• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched vinyl issues....

BigPrintn

Had an installer put some etched vinyl up for me about a week and a half ago. He did a wet install and from the pictures it looks like water still trapped under the vinyl.

How long should it take etched vinyl to set and dry from a wet install? or does it look like it needs to be scrapped and redone? Any suggestions are appreciated.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 274

TimToad

Had an installer put some etched vinyl up for me about a week and a half ago. He did a wet install and from the pictures it looks like water still trapped under the vinyl.

How long should it take etched vinyl to set and dry from a wet install? or does it look like it needs to be scrapped and redone? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Maybe its the photos but for some reason that doesn't look like app fluid under the vinyl, it looks like grime or something on the surface like from a dirty felt squeegee or something.

If one does a wet application and sprays the RapidTac or whatever app fluid evenly across the entire surface, the wetness should be far more evenly spread behind the vinyl if visible at all.

I wouldn't accept that as a finished product.

Last edited by a moderator:

2B

something is not adding up correctly, we have done frosted both dry and wet and the wet applications (even when not using Rapid but an alcohol/water mix) never turns out like this.

we have since moved over to HEXIS frosted with air channels. THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

BigPrintn

Yeah I wish I would have known about the air release etched, no idea.... weird because I stock b-free permanent and temp vinyl from mactac.

So maybe the glass wasn't cleaned enough before applying? I think we need to pull down whats up now, clean the hell out of the glass windows then try to reapply? Also the roll I have is Arlon 5200 314.

Thoughts....?

Jean Shimp

I agree with Tim. It looks like dried application fluid that wasn't cleaned off prior to leaving the site. Did they clean the film after they installed it?

BigPrintn

I agree with Tim. It looks like dried application fluid that wasn't cleaned off prior to leaving the site. Did they clean the film after they installed it?

I was told that they cleaned it, but obviously something isn't sitting right. Also when referring to the app fluid, are you thinking its on the outside or inside of vinyl? I'm unable to physically go out there at this time and inspect it.

Jean Shimp

I am thinking it is on the outside surface so that if you sprayed it with Windex it would clean it off. Did you send these photos to your contractor and ask them why it looks like this?

splizaat

Weird....we install EVERYTHING wet, including a ton of full coverage and die-cut etch and it never looks like this. Was the guy using a homemade mixture? Looks like too much soap and everything dried out except the soap.....that, or something was too harsh and ate the frost - it almost looks like those streaks are glossed over.

Edit: are you also sure that the window was cleaned good? I looked at those pics again and it looks like there's black stuff under the vinyl..?

BigPrintn

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and respond.

Installer didn't clean vinyl after install (wanted it to set longer before wiping it down). A worker there simply spray with window cleaner and it looks great now.

splizaat

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and respond.

Installer didn't clean vinyl after install (wanted it to set longer before wiping it down). A worker there simply spray with window cleaner and it looks great now.

Well that's embarrassing. Why didn't you drive over and look at it when the customer called with a concern?

BigPrintn

Well that's embarrassing. Why didn't you drive over and look at it when the customer called with a concern?

Its a one man show over here and distance is the reason. But glad its resolved and customer is still submitting more jobs. Thanks again.

Chasez

All we do is wet install... and to me that doesn't look like water trapped underneath the film but looks to be a smudge or something on the frosting. What frosting was used? what application solution was used? The best solution is one with the least amount of additives. I would go and try and wipe off the smudges (would use soap and water). If that doesn't work, would try a little bit of %99 iso. If that doesn't work then the installer probably mucked it (or the client and they're blaming it on the installers).

Chaz

Chasez

See post #11.....installer was just too lazy to wipe down vinyl after install. :rolleyes:
Yeah I saw that after... read the first few post, got lazy and skipped to writing response, then went back and read a few more posts and noticed that :p I guess that's what I get for being lazy :p haha Chaz

splizaat

See post #11.....installer was just too lazy to wipe down vinyl after install. :rolleyes:

Boom, countered laziness with laziness. That's how you do it! hahahaha

I agree, I'd have a talk with your installer. If he installed each window one by one, by the time he finished, he should be able to go back to the first window and start wiping them one by one down the line.

attachment.php
attachment.php
It's just residue from rapid tac. Just need to clean it again