• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever Put two Banners together?

brycesteiner

Have you ever needed a wider banner than your machine would print and just put two together with hem tape, overlapping an inch and also putting grommets in the overlap at the edges? I know signs, billboards are done this way regularly but what about outdoor banners?
Any problems to be aware of? It seems like it would work just fine.
Thanks!
Bryce

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Should work depending on how large the banner is and how it will be displayed.
I wouldn't trust a hem taped seam on a large exterior banner stretched between two poles.
Run the seams vertical to keep the weight of panels from pulling apart.
Take a look at HH66 vinyl cement if you want something stronger than hem tape.

wayne k
guam usa

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have had them sewn together a long time ago for outdoor banners.
For indoor banners I would think hem tape might work, but not outdoor.

SignStudent

We used to do this a few years ago before we started outsourcing instead. We used 2-3 rows of banner tape side-by-side instead of just one and never had any problems. That said, I would recommend first checking out the merchant members here and outsourcing.

TimToad

We'll do them in a pinch if we know its going flat against a wall or indoors, but with all the low cost outsourcing options and quick turnarounds, we rarely do it anymore. Running the seams vertically is really good advice. Sometimes we underestimate the power of gravity.

Signstein

Reviving this old thread...

May I ask for opinions on how best to tackle this 10'x10' banner? I have a 54" printer, so it would have to be in 3 pieces (2 vertical seams). Would hem tape be suitable here since its against the building? Or the HH66 vinyl cement? I'm also a little confused about the installation method - what's up with the ball bungees? Previous sign person being lazy? One of these rails has a fiberglass rod through the eyelets, which leads me to think that this banner is meant to be installed with rope woven through the grommets. I'd like to do this in-house since we're a non-profit, but I also want to do it correctly, so I'm open to outsourcing. Thanks for your thoughts!

VCB01.jpg
VCB02.jpg

rope-grommets.jpg