• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Ever use a Nail Gun for install?

brycesteiner

I am putting up a sign for a press box at our local school football stadium. I was going to use screws but the time I'm supposed to take is small. I'm thinking that I would be better off using a nail gun to attach it to the building. It's about 30' off the ground and there isn't an easy way to install because the building is actually about 4' away from the bleachers and that's the only way to reach it. The nail gun would make it quick and hold easily without pre-drilling. I'm intending to use 2x6 boards across to make a scaffolding.

I'm using ACM 3mm for the sign and it's 16'x19". I tested it on some boards just as a joke with a co-worker and it held very well. The nail was flush and I didn't tear the aluminum up by using a countersink. Is that crazy?

I'm using a triple hot zinc coated nail that is weather proof/resistant. I would then use vinyl to cover the nails just like I would screws.

Is this crazy or has it worked for you?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you can reach it with a nail gun you can reach it with a screw gun. If your nail gun isn't self-powered but needs an air compressor, the portable screw gun is a simpler choice.

If you can nail it you can screw it. Either option will hold up the sign. Which one to use depends on your prejudices.

2B

I'd vote screw gun, you can control the speed and depth better also you have a larger head / easier to add a washer for more secure mounting

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

hcardwell93

I would feel safer with screws. However if you are concerned about starting the first couple screws then you could tack the board with nails then follow up with screws.

brycesteiner

The screws and the washers also sound good but trying told onto the sign, the screw, washer and drill are not quite as easy as the sign and the nailer (it's cordless). Perhaps using both is the best of both worlds, as suggested.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I replaced a Dentist's sign with a new 12'x3' ACM board. Their old board was held on to the metal wall with the black 3M double side tape. One strip along the entire top and one along the bottom. It took two of us to pull the sign off, utterly destroying the thing in the process. They told me it had been up there for over 5 years. I did not fasten ours back that way... used the good ol Teks.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
2" ring shank, full round head

Are you nailing bridge planking? I should think that 2" might be just a wee bit of overkill for 3mm material. And ring shanks? Really? Are you hanging a sign or turning the inside of the press box into an iron maiden?

A few galvanized #10 ro #12 pan head sheet metal screws [no washers no nothing just the screws] will hold it up there every bit as well as smacking 2" nails through it. Someday it might need to be moved or removed without destroying the thing to which it's attached.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My question would be...... why such a small window of time for an instal ?? Who sets that spec ?? You or the school ?? You need ample time to do a proper instal and if they won't let you, tell them it's their problem to instal however they see fit. For the many reasons mentioned already, I would use proper screws and possibly washers. While the nailer will work, it won't have a professional outcome.

Johnny Best

So you are going to lay 2x6 boards across a 4' space for your "scaffolding" and affix a 19"x16' sign on the side of the press box. You want to use the nail gun because it will be easier to attach considering the height and hopefully the sturdiness of your 4' boards you laid down to stand or crawl on. You feel the screws and screw gun (drill) will be to much to handle. If you feel safer with the nail gun use it.
I would predrill the holes in the sign and use the screws. I hope you secure your "scaffolding" so it does not come off the ledge you have it on when your shifting around getting the sign straight and looking for your nailgun or screws. I would be more concerned about your setup at 30' than if I was using nails or screws to attach the sign. And BTW what is the surface you are nailing into.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I hate scaffolding. I hate how it moves and I hate relying on something I build to keep me up in the air. Bucket bucket bucket

brycesteiner

Well I got the sign installed. I used the nail gun--only to assemble the scaffold boards on site quickly. I got safety harnesses ahead for both of us.
I had predrilled the holes in the sign, as suggested, and didn't have to think twice then about where they were all going. I then used screws with washers.
It went quite well and took about an hour and 10 minutes from setup to tear down.