• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Everyday economy cast for flat signage?

Quark

Merchant Member
Looking for an economy everyday cast and lam combo for simple flat signage (small size aluminum, acm, pvc, magnets and such). No need to be wrap grade nor cost $1.50+ psf. Anyone found a hidden gem?

Quark

Merchant Member
May I have a model
# pleaee?

On a separate note dude by your posts you are really on a roll! Congrats man!!$

Christian @ 2CT Media

Oh that sucks... We haven't used it since we got the flatbed. We have been pretty successful using 3m 48c also for durability although it's not cast it's also not a PVC product

ikarasu

Any reason it has to be cast?

Ij40 is a 7 year vinyl. Its what 3m recommends for flat signage. Ij35 is a 5 year. We use ij35 on real estate signs that we expect to be garbage by 2-3 years, and ij40 on long term signs .

Calandered gets a bad rep due to all the cheap crap out there.

There are two kinds of calandered... Monomeric, and polymeric .Monomeric is garbage for vinyl, and what most of the cheap brands use. 3m, Avery, even most oracal calandered is pretty good. Not 10 years like cast good... But still pretty good.

Ij40 bundle is about half the price as a 180 bundle for us, we've been using it on all our flat signs for awhile, and no complaints. I do everything from beginning (printing) to the end (vehicle installs... Sign applications) and ij40 feels like 180 to me, just not as stretchy... Which is expected in a calandered.

If your ok with trying a good calandered, I'd give ij40 a try. If you already know about mono vs poly vinyl, and want cast for a different reason.... Sorry! Most people just hear calandered and presume it's garbage, so I point it out that while mono calandered (the $100 rolls you can buy on ebay...)is crap, the more expensive 3m/avery ones arent.

We wrapped our work vehicle in 180 - we were just starting to test ij40, so I decided to wrap the back of the vehicle in it since it's pretty flat. Its been 6 months, so not too long... But so far it's holding good, and no shrinkage at all.

ikarasu

Our supplier pairs it with 8508. I've read on here some people have de-lamination problems with 8508, but so far we haven't had an issue with it. We've got a couple Avery/Oraguard samples out in the yard to test durability, so far it looks good with no issues, but it's only been a year, so we're not ready to use it on customer signs.

I'm sure any overlaminate would work good, but we try to stick with what the 3M bulletins recommend until we've thoroughly tested it. Saving a couple bucks isn't worth having 100 signs come back in a year or two due to a failure, and having to re-do them all!

Johnny Best

I have been using 8519 cast lam on the 3551 and just switched over to Arlon3220L to give it a try.
Will try the 8508 and see how that works because it is cast and has a good price.

ikarasu

If you like Luster instead of gloss, 8509 Is the Luster version of 8508. Should be the same performance wise!

I never even realized it was a Cast. It feels like a Calendared to me...It has very little stretch, and it is only a 4 year. 8519 is a 8 year overlam in comparison. It's been a great overlam for us with zero issues so far, and the price is right!

Johnny Best

8508 is a 2.5 mil cast Scotchcal gloss overlaminate according to Fellers catalog.
But thanks for the shrinkage info.

ikarasu

8508 is not cast... it shrinks a lot. 2+" and delaminates. 8048 is a much better lam
I know you've had troubles with 8508 in the past! One of your posts was why I was Leary of trying 8508 .But it hasn't shrunk, and there's been no issues for us so far. I'm hoping you got all the bad luck. You've also had bad luck with 8518, haven't you?

We use probably 10-20 rolls of 8518 a month. We've had one roll that had a yellow tint all throughout it... But 3m replaced it. Then a couple delamination issues (under 5 signs in the 3-4 years I've been here) which we attributed to it being a rush job where we overland within an hour on solvent ink. So we've been pretty lucky with 3m over here.

It is also listed as a cast according to 3ms bulletin. I was just as surprised, to hear it was a cast... It feels like a calandered to me.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Looking for an economy everyday cast and lam combo for simple flat signage (small size aluminum, acm, pvc, magnets and such). No need to be wrap grade nor cost $1.50+ psf. Anyone found a hidden gem?

These are all TRUE CAST VINYLS
Inventory Clean Out:
Arlon DPF6000XRP 54"x150' $400 ($378 if you buy it with a roll of lam)
Arlon DPF6000XRP 60"x150' $445 ($420 if you buy it with a roll of lam)
Arlon 3220 Cast Gloss Lam 54"x150' $350 ($297 if you buy it with a roll of vinyl)
Arlon 3220 Cast Gloss Lam 60"x150' $350 ($297 if you buy it with a roll of vinyl)
Arlon 3200 Optically Clear Cast 54"x150' $350
Arlon 3200 Optically Clear Cast 60"x150' $350

Quark

Merchant Member
These are all TRUE CAST VINYLS
Inventory Clean Out:
Arlon DPF6000XRP 54"x150' $400 ($378 if you buy it with a roll of lam)
Arlon DPF6000XRP 60"x150' $445 ($420 if you buy it with a roll of lam)
Arlon 3220 Cast Gloss Lam 54"x150' $350 ($297 if you buy it with a roll of vinyl)
Arlon 3220 Cast Gloss Lam 60"x150' $350 ($297 if you buy it with a roll of vinyl)
Arlon 3200 Optically Clear Cast 54"x150' $350
Arlon 3200 Optically Clear Cast 60"x150' $350

and once the inventory is gone?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
and once the inventory is gone?

Once its gone, I will be moving forward with a new MFG with a new adhesive technology. Arlon is great, I just have a specific need to move forward with this new material. These prices are very very aggressive and I would be amazed if you can get a better price anywhere else.