• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Everyone is a designer these days

Flame

Customer of mine supplied this artwork. I asked for vectors and I got a hodge podged ai. file full of raster images. This was artwork that was paid for and provided to him by a "professional designer". They wanted it screen printed on roughly 15 shirts.

I get stuff like this all the time, but you know...sometimes it's just worth bringing up and pointing out that there are a lot, and I mean a lot...of hacks in our industry. No disrespect to people learning the trade, but please don't sell yourself as something you are not.

This logo cannot be easily replicated for screen printing and keep all those colors. It was created in photoshop and not in vectors. Lastly...the artwork is hideous.

But it was "professionally" designed so guess there's no talking out of it. Will have to refuse the job.

Attachments

• sigh.jpg
    sigh.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 135

visual800

I always offer a side by side. Mine vs theirs, if their pride gets in the way either do it take the money or refuse it

C

ColoPrinthead

Pretty sure I'm going to have a nightmare about that smilie face tonight. Do I even want to know what kind of product it's for with a tag line like that?

legacyborn

That is a little frightening.

I refused to call myself a designer for years. I knew I wasn't good enough. I would outsource and I even tried hiring a graphic designer at one point in 2010. I got 600 applications all within a 60 mile radius of my shop. I only looked through the first 200 portfolios of which 197 went right into the trash. I interviewed 3 people and hired 1 and found out they were a total flake.

I gave up after that and did the best I could by myself and outsourcing.

Flame

I always offer a side by side. Mine vs theirs, if their pride gets in the way either do it take the money or refuse it

I used to but I really don't have time for that. Especially since I want to retain value in my logo design and not try to give the impression I can just do it "on a whim". I'll put pride aside to print their shirts, but you'll have to atleast get me proper filetypes! So far today I have received a 150 pixel tiff file, a .plt file that refuses to open, and this beauty.

WildWestDesigns

It's ironic the timing of this thread. I had 7 clients (this week alone) bring me customer supplied files and while the file extensions could be vector, they were all filled with raster data. The text was still "live" as well. It was not fun trying to explain to the customer that the files that they paid for were not up to snuff and I'm sure some were thinking that I was a hack, because I was bringing up all those issues. I managed to sway them in the end, but boy was it "fun".

WCSign

I always say, "I can design, but im not the best by any means"

The best part for me is when a "designer" doesnt want to give up his precious vector files, or it was never saved properly.. photoshopped or whatever... so I get a jpg from the client, then I refuse that, so I get the same jpg saved as a .pdf or an .ai

and yeah that smiley face is creepy

rjssigns

For 15 shirts I'd run Eco-Print through the Roland, heat press and collect a check.

Good design is a beautiful thing, but a fat bank account is infinitely better.

nikdoobs

At least it's not full of drop shadows gradients and embossments. What is bold-licious yum yum? You sure it's for a business and not some kind of social sports league or something?

Marlene

did this thing come from off shore somewhere with Hex colors assigned? I've gotten a couple of those and what a mess.

JgS

What kind of product are they selling? That is the weirdest tagline I have ever read.

If the file is large enough you should be able to burn screens just by separating the colors. But at 15 I think I would just heat press them.

Maybe remove the eyebrows and don't tell them.

Flame

I'm doubting we'll be burning screens for this. For the quantity, just heat press them but... he wants a tight cutline. Aka we're right back to needing vectors.

Just amazes me sometimes what people are actually selling. Mind boggling.

MtnView

Same thing happened just a couple days ago here too only the image wasn't as freaky. Woman walked in wanting this on only two black shirts. Emailed a 32 kb, 96 dpi jpg somebody created in Gimp. Of course the black background in the jpg is not to be included.
IMG_48702527685590.jpg

OldPaint

gee......seems just like yesterday........when flamey showed up here........ what a putz he was.........hehehehehehehehehehe just shows............ how things change))))

p3

This is the easiest thing to make in Illustrator. I could retrace everything with the pen tool, and draw circles. 15 minutes to replicate.

p3

How can this not be easily replicated for screen printing? Even a huge tiff file, you could sep out the colors. Would be a 5 color shirt. Easy peasy. I would do it and take the guys money. If the document was 150dpi and at least 13 x 18 it would come out nice. I was expecting a lot of gradients and mixed colors until I saw the thumbnail...