• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Excalibur Credits Typeface?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I was channel surfing and saw the end of this 80's movie playing. The typeface used in the opening titles and end credits of Excalibur seems pretty familiar looking, but I can't seem to figure out what it might be. I'm starting to wonder if it's something I might have seen in an older 70's or 80's Letraset catalog before digital typefaces became a thing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Excalibur-TitlesType.png
    Excalibur-TitlesType.png
    166 KB · Views: 379

SignosaurusRex

Herkules Yes, it was a Letraset typeface. It is also available as a font under that name as well as Excalibur Nouveau which is a cleaner version.

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Interesting. According to the Fonts In Use web site Herkules never had an official digital version. It mentions an "unsatisfying" version created by Dieter Steffmann about 15 years ago. Excalibur Nouveau is an improvement, but I guess it's still something done on spec, maybe by a fan of the typeface.