• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expert suggestion for Large Format

Hame Anand

Guys, I am planning to buy versatile large format printer in which i can print all kind of media like banner , sticker, wrap and corrugated printing etc for my new sign shop

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And budget.

Why let a little thing like that put a damper on things ?? Just go do it and pay cash for it out of the first month's sales. That's what everyone else does. Why should he be any different. It's such a lucrative business..... selling all those banners, digital prints for Cor-X signs and wraps. Heck, he'll probably do it within the first two weeks.

Go get 'em.................​

T_K

Why let a little thing like that put a damper on things ?? Just go do it and pay cash for it out of the first month's sales. That's what everyone else does. Why should he be any different. It's such a lucrative business..... selling all those banners, digital prints for Cor-X signs and wraps. Heck, he'll probably do it within the first two weeks.

And here I am apparently doing something wrong. I've started my own print business as a side hustle (brokering for now until I build up some clientele and cash flow). I've legally been in business for a month now and had one small sale. Shouldn't I have people begging me to quit my fulltime job to print their stuff?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And here I am apparently doing something wrong. I've started my own print business as a side hustle (brokering for now until I build up some clientele and cash flow). I've legally been in business for a month now and had one small sale. Shouldn't I have people begging me to quit my fulltime job to print their stuff?

Yes, by all means. Quit now, while you still know everything and they will come to you if you are just there for them. Like the OP here..... throw caution to the wind and just go do it. Just do it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's not asking a question, just making a statement. Sounds like he will fit in the sign business just fine.

What he wrote in the body of his opening statement doesn't ask a question, but his title sure do..................

Johnny Best

I saw the word "expert" so I figured it was not for this place. Or he was going to make an expert suggestion.
I need some expert suggestions on velcro shoes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I saw the word "expert" so I figured it was not for this place. Or he was going to make an expert suggestion.
I need some expert suggestions on velcro shoes.

That's in a different thread. C'mon Johnny..... get with the program.

AKwrapguy

Guys, I am planning to buy versatile large format printer in which i can print all kind of media like banner , sticker, wrap and corrugated printing etc for my new sign shop

There are many many many different types of printers you can go with. It all depends on what your looking for, experience, market, and of course budget.
I would suggest not getting a two in one machine (printer/plotter). If your printing you can't cut and if your cutting you can't print.
Go to a few dealerships and ask to see them in action.
There are pro's and con's to every printer, be aware of them and ask questions, never assume.

My two cents...
I have two HP570 Latex printers. For me these things are great. I have yet to have any real issue with them. The bulk ink setup is nice and allows for a less expensive cost per sqft.
We switched from eco-solvent to latex for a number of reasons such as no more fumes, no more waste ink to dispose of, no more waiting for prints to out gas, some of the bells and whistles that HP offers on their latex printers. It's fast enough to meet out needs and the color are great. If you can get it in into the machine you can pretty much print on it.

There are a few things that I don't like about the machine, such as the front loading, the on board OS is a little frustrating when something like a material jam happens or end of roll issue, you have to restart the whole machine.

On the latex machines there are disposable such as the maintenance cartridge and the print heads them selves. They are not expensive but something to think about.

The machine is also only part of the equation as you also need a rip, a plotter and a laminator and someone who knows how to us them.

Depending on your experience level you might want to work as a shop for a little white to see what goes into this business as 30% of you time will be printing/production the rest will be paperwork and billing.

ThatGriffGuy

I have worked shops running both solvent as well as latex. For most general purpose printing the Latex is my favorite. The fact there is no delay between printing and laminating makes quick turn around orders and reprints for a damaged wrap panel a breeze! I am in the process of buying a printer and cutter for a new business and have definitely decided to get a stand alone printer and cutter.

Tfloraditch

If you have gotten only one small job, it may be a bit premature to buy a printer. Paying cash for a printer in the first two weeks of being in business, as stated by others here, is just not a realistic expectation. Sucess in any business takes ...
  • time. You need to build a customer base and a reputation for quality service and products. You also have to be ready to but in the long hours required to get as much work done as you can. It's your business so it is all up to you. If you have been in the sign busness for a while, which should be the case if you are starting a sign business, then that time counts towards reputation building.
  • commitment Starting a business part time can be done, but it is really hard. If you can't do it full time maybe brokering until you have the reserve cash to get started is better.
  • capital You need money to buy equipment and supplies and carry you over the slow times. Once you get employees the costs start to go up fast. You should plan on not getting a pay check for the first year then celebrate if thing happen faster. If paying cash for a printer in the first two week was realistic then any bank would be jumping at the chance to loan you the money. My guess is the first question a lender is going to ask is, "Do you have a business plan?" Most sign company owners don't know what a business plan is. You should.
Now, my post is going to be followed by a few members saying that I don't know what I am talking about. These posts will be filled with sarcastic remarkes that they intend to humiliate me and make the writer feel better about themselves. If that makes them happy I feel genuinely sorry for them. Just know that there are a lot of sign companies run by disorganized poor business managers that stay in busness because of skill, long hours, favorable market location, or just dump luck. Just because they have been in business so many years dosen't mean they are profitable. Most small sign companies are not profitable. Most smart sign company owners own their busness location so they have something of value to sell when they decide to retire.

Bottom line, before you invest that much money in equipment you might was to talk to someone like the Small Business Administration about your goals.

Tfloraditch

Gino,
I am assuming this is intended to be sarcasim. Am I correct? As much as I have been able to glean valuable information off of this site, it is filled with sarcastic and often rude comments that lack real value to anyone beyond odd entertainment value. If your comments are sincere can you back those claims up a bit? I am curious.

Tfloraditch

I have worked shops running both solvent as well as latex. For most general purpose printing the Latex is my favorite. The fact there is no delay between printing and laminating makes quick turn around orders and reprints for a damaged wrap panel a breeze! I am in the process of buying a printer and cutter for a new business and have definitely decided to get a stand alone printer and cutter.

I have never used a print and cut machine. I have always had two sepreate machines for that. Not by my choice. That's just the cards I was delt. What is the advantage of the one unit doing both jobs? I assume, after printing you need to remove it to laminate it and then put it back in the machine to cut. How is that better than two separate machines?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,
I am assuming this is intended to be sarcasim. Am I correct? As much as I have been able to glean valuable information off of this site, it is filled with sarcastic and often rude comments that lack real value to anyone beyond odd entertainment value. If your comments are sincere can you back those claims up a bit? I am curious.

Actually, there might be a little sarcasm, but if you would read enough threads in this place, you would see, what I wrote is what most newbies do. Most people within these walls.....and outsude have absolutley NO business sense, no business plan and no common sense. Whether someone wants to enter into this industry with no talent, no sense or any money, is not my concern when you have honest people, scratching their way in who want to learn and further themselves, their career and make a good living for their families. Those who wanna help themselves is who I wanna help..... not some dolt who just has some money to spend and wants me/you or anyone save them the time of getting a few bumps on their head by learning.

If you are afraid of sarcasm towards yourself or some other member, remember, the door swings both ways. As high and mighty as you wanna feel about yourself or your answers, doesn't necessarily help the other person(s). We can only give answers based upon the hard to read, hard to understand and hard to help people posting this stuff.

Drive around the block a few times and give me your answer in the morning. Think, before you hit..... send .

Tfloraditch

Actually, there might be a little sarcasm, but if you would read enough threads in this place, you would see, what I wrote is what most newbies do. Most people within these walls.....and outsude have absolutley NO business sense, no business plan and no common sense. Whether someone wants to enter into this industry with no talent, no sense or any money, is not my concern when you have honest people, scratching their way in who want to learn and further themselves, their career and make a good living for their families. Those who wanna help themselves is who I wanna help..... not some dolt who just has some money to spend and wants me/you or anyone save them the time of getting a few bumps on their head by learning.

If you are afraid of sarcasm towards yourself or some other member, remember, the door swings both ways. As high and mighty as you wanna feel about yourself or your answers, doesn't necessarily help the other person(s). We can only give answers based upon the hard to read, hard to understand and hard to help people posting this stuff.

Drive around the block a few times and give me your answer in the morning. Think, before you hit..... send .

Gino,
That is an interesting perspective. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have no fear of sarcasm. I can dish it out better than most, but I reserve it for situations that I see as appropriate and I am sure the receiver will understand and appreciate it. I guess that is just me. I have been in the sign business since 1984 always as an employee for large and small shops. As I am sure you can imagine, I have worked for too many people that have no skills for running any company and less for managing employees. No doubt that colors my responses.

I can certainly appreciate your perspective here. The original poster of this thread says he has only had one small job and is brokering part time. Considering that you are sincere, if only in part, there is value in taking all of these comments under consideration as feed back from a very diverse and complex industry. I think there are a lot of employees in the sign industry that wished their employer would learn something about running a company. Then again, there are a lot of employers who wish their employees would learn something about making signs. Aren't there?

I take encouragement in your opinion that just buying the equipment will work out short term. Putting together a business plan and learning what it takes to run a successful profitable company will aid anyone starting out for the long term.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,
That is an interesting perspective. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have no fear of sarcasm. I can dish it out better than most, but I reserve it for situations that I see as appropriate and I am sure the receiver will understand and appreciate it. I guess that is just me. I have been in the sign business since 1984 always as an employee for large and small shops. As I am sure you can imagine, I have worked for too many people that have no skills for running any company and less for managing employees. No doubt that colors my responses.

I can certainly appreciate your perspective here. The original poster of this thread says he has only had one small job and is brokering part time. Considering that you are sincere, if only in part, there is value in taking all of these comments under consideration as feed back from a very diverse and complex industry. I think there are a lot of employees in the sign industry that wished their employer would learn something about running a company. Then again, there are a lot of employers who wish their employees would learn something about making signs. Aren't there?

I take encouragement in your opinion that just buying the equipment will work out short term. Putting together a business plan and learning what it takes to run a successful profitable company will aid anyone starting out for the long term.

Perhaps you know this, then again, maybe not. Ever wonder why there are so many printers, laminators and other equipment for sale in a certain earning's bracket ?? Because the distributors of these things tell the end user anything they wanna hear, just to make a sale. How easy it is, how easy the software is to learn and numerous other untruths about the actual knowledge which goes into/behind the creating and fabricating of the vast jobs these machines CAN produce. Have ya heard, manufacturers have become upset in the last decade or so ?? Hmmmm, mostly because there are so many used /almost new machines being sold. Their own sales are hindering new sales.

There are times, when I misjudge someone, but it's rare. In time, the truth comes out and most of the people show their real colors or never return. I'm not here for the gimme..... gimme...... gimme...... people who give nothing in return.

The pendulum swings both ways with competent employees and owners, while many are just lazy-a$$ed people with nothing better to do and some get lucky. The real lucky ones are the lazy owners, who manage to land an employee or two who can knock the work out, thus continuing the owner's lazy attitude. However, the owner is laying out the money, taking all the risks and keeping them paid, so just maybe, maybe they an't too lazy.