• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

extended waranty?

Signed Out

the 2 year factory waranty is going to expire next month on our xj 540. The cost to extend it 1 year is $2,800. We havent had any problems with our printer untill recently. In the past month or so we occasionaly hear a knocking sound when the carriage goes all the way to the left while printing. It will start off pretty quiet and progressivley get louder untill it abruptly stops making the knocking sound at all. This sound is completly random, except that it seems to happen on near full width prints. Have tried to recreate the sound many times with covers off to see what is happening but even when printing the same file that it had made the sound before it doesn't when the covers are off, and we can't take the covers off mid print. Very frusturating. We have an open ticket on this problem with roland as we try to figure it out, so they tell me that even if we don't extend the waranty that this problem will still be covered. The print quality is not affected by this knocking sound. We had the local tech in to diagnose the problem, and of course it didn't make the knocking sound at all when he was here. He said he thought it might be the pully on the left side and was going to order a replacement pully and belt. Roland told him to figure out what the problem is first instead of just replacing parts until the right part is replaced. So I've been trying to recreate the sound with covers off to see if anything is hitting, they said to look at the sheet cut off parts, to see if the big belt that carries the lines is binding, if the pullys are deflecting and to look for overspray on the drive belt. But unless we print everything with the covers off and sensors tricked this is hard to do.

So I guess this has become a 2 part question.

Does anybody have an idea of what this knocking sound is from? We have a couple video clips of it that I can share.

Generaly speaking do you find the extended waranty to be worth $2,800? What if your printer was acting like ours?

Thanks,

ChicagoGraphics

Seeing that Roland is going to cover the problem you have now, I would pass on the warnanty and just put that money on the side, in case something does happen down the road.

Signed Out

Thats what i plan on doing, but would like to know more about this knocking sound. Such as is this a symptom of more problems to come, or an isolated issue. I know it is hard to say especially since we don't even know what the problem is yet. So I'd like to know if this is an issue that anybody else has encountered. I'll post the video on youtube and post a link here.

cha88

my 2 yr is ending soon also and i have been debating this heavily also... 2800 per your or 225 a month for warranty is a lot... i have also considered trading my machine in to receive another 2 years but have not made up my mind? opinions?

Signed Out

bump. Please if you are bored this morning watch the video I linked above and help me diagnose the knocking sound our printer is making.

Signed Out

the only time we've moved the print head manually was when changing cap tops. Thought we had to go into service mode to lower the capping station in order to be able to move the print heads. Is there another way to lower the capping station so the print heads can be moved. Does moving the printheads manually have any negative effects such as throwing off calibration? This seems like a logical thing to do to diagnose the sound, but I'm not sure that it will make the sound when we do it as the sound comes and goes pretty randomly. My partner just informed me that the other day the sound came back and that there was another sound, more of a click when the heads were halfway in their travel to the left in addition to the louder knocking sound when it is all the way to the left as it has before. No sounds when it travels back to the right. I'm stumped.

otctech

Since this is a warranty issue I would spend my time pressing Roland to resolve this issue, not troubleshooting it yourself.