• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior double sided tape for dimensional letters?

Andy D

One of my projects of cast letters, one of the smaller lines of 3" they're hitting rebar..
We might be able to shift the line up or down, but if not our plan B is double sided tape.
Problem is they are being mounted to a rough surface that has been recently painted, is double sided tape
feasible? Any other thought?

MikePro

does rebar come all the way to the surface?
i just keep a klein's handy on stud letter installs in event of studs/power/etc. and just clip em down as needed to let that one or a few studs only go into the wall <1/2".

small letters on brick/masonry, if I can ONLY use tape/silicone.... I use 3M VHB&100%silicone.
1/4" tabs/strips of vhb, throughout letter but leaving plenty of area to run some silicone blobs. Fill a sandwich bag with silicone, and clip the corner for better "ooze control". VHB tape should be good enough to hold long enough for silicone to dry, but also serves as a spacer to allow silicone to have some strength once it cures. If needed, supplement with duct tape crutches to keep secured on wall in place until the silicone can dry.

Andy D

does rebar come all the way to the surface?
i just keep a klein's handy on stud letter installs in event of studs/power/etc. and just clip em down as needed to let that one or a few studs only go into the wall <1/2".

small letters on brick/masonry, if I can ONLY use tape/silicone.... I use 3M VHB&100%silicone.
1/4" tabs/strips of vhb, throughout letter but leaving plenty of area to run some silicone blobs. Fill a sandwich bag with silicone, and clip the corner for better "ooze control". VHB tape should be good enough to hold long enough for silicone to dry, but also serves as a spacer to allow silicone to have some strength once it cures. If needed, supplement with duct tape crutches to keep secured on wall in place until the silicone can dry.
Great advice, thanks.
What about the paint that had been applied about a week ago?
How long does that need to cure before using 100% silicone?

MikePro

silicone to paint? gosh, i've only had issues with vinyl to paint that's still outgassing.
I think with tape&silicone there's room to outgass-around as opposed to fully-sheeting a "wet" wall with a full-field mural.
The wall should be dry enough to tape up your mounting pattern anyways, so that would ultimately be your guide.

MikePro

we're all able, but I believe the smallest rebar-cutting masonry bit is like ....3/8". I just puked a little just thinking about that hole pattern on 3" lettering.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The smallest bit that works well on rebar is 5/32", Diablo Rebar Demon being the best.

My question was actually to Andy D , sorry. I should have tagged him.

Andy D

Are you just not wanting to drill through the rebar or not able?
Full story is I don't do installations here, it's mostly just me and the business owner wants to keep me bidding jobs and some production.
Any installation that needs to be done, I suggest a installation company and try to get the customer to work directly with them, so I don't get stuck in the middle, like I am now. But this customer is huge and they wanted me to take care of everything. Long story short, I am not sure why they don't go through the rebar.
Thanks for all the advice, I'm thinking the safest way is to apply the cast letters to a 6mm composite panel and have the installer mount that the the sign, if I can get the customer to agree.