• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior glass etching halftone photo

Billct2

I have a client who is replacing a dozen or so windows that have a separate arch piece on top, about 24"x24".
They want to have black and white photos etched into those pieces. I've done a little research but most of what I see looks like it's for interior projects. They did say they would be open to just having a separate piece that fits over the glass on the inside, but I still think it should be a product that would handle the cold and moisture that may be created. Does anyone have a source that makes something like this?
Thanks

studio 440

I have a client who is replacing a dozen or so windows that have a separate arch piece on top, about 24"x24".
They want to have black and white photos etched into those pieces. I've done a little research but most of what I see looks like it's for interior projects. They did say they would be open to just having a separate piece that fits over the glass on the inside, but I still think it should be a product that would handle the cold and moisture that may be created. Does anyone have a source that makes something like this?
Thanks
reverse print on clear

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Black and white etching or getting a black and white image etched into glass?

I dont think you can get black etched into glass as etching is just roughing up the surface of the glass and becomes less transparent.

Unless your client is talking about direct surface printing onto the glass?

Billct2

A halftone image etched into glass..something that looks like this... Maybe direct surface printing would work.

Attachments

• 1C.jpg
    1C.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 126

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thought so. If my client asked me for something like that, i'd give them the option of direct surface printing with white ink.
or
Find someone who does glass etching. a google search should find you someone. It's just "glass etching" Or "laser glass etching" any glass etching place should be able to do it.

rossmosh

Laser etching photos in glass is hit or miss. The picture you posted is a completely different process. That is subsurface engraving in crystal. Way different process.

Laser etching photos is about controlled fracturing and getting that range of greyscale without chipping is tricky. Arguably the most difficult thing to do with a laser. If you need to stick with glass, a sandblaster would likely be the better way to go. They can't quite get the detail, but the consistency of the etch is superior.

If you can, switching to cast acrylic is the better way to go about this project. You can do that on a laser engraver and it's a fairly straight forward project. You just need to find someone with a large enough bed. 24" high is a little tall for your average engraver.