• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior Post Sign w/ 2 faces...need suggestions

gurlwithapen

Ok, I'll be the first to say, I'm a little out of my comfort zone on this one...
I am really a vinyl shop. I've done metal building signs before, but nothing freestanding that was not already in place...

So, with that said..I need to find a kit that could create the *rough* customer drawing below...

I've looked into PVC Signs...thoughts?

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• gurl.jpg
    gurl.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
most suppliers have blank sign kits. have you contacted your local sign suppier? for example robbins sign supply out of lenoir NC do this type of kit.

OldPaint

puttin posts in the ground...........MOW YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!
cut a telephone cable, hit a gas line, hit a water line.........most of these type signs NEED A PERMIT or a CONTRACTORS license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is why i DONT DO INSTALLS!!!!!
i would make the sign, get paid for it, let the CLIENT put it in the ground, or pay somebody else to do it.

SignManiac

Not likely going to find a kit. This is something most shops would make in house or sub out to someone with the tools and skill to make. In actuality, it's a fairly simple sign to make if you're feeling frisky.

Billct2

Not PVC.
As has been said, it's a fairly simple job if you know how to use a few power tools and a post hole digger.

you can buy in the sign kits you need from afew places as i said above. yes, agreed most sign shops make there own as it is a fairly easy job to do with a few power tools, but you can buy in the kits.
for example if you go onto robbinssignsupply.com and go onto the products>frames>sign kits you will see them there.

Not likely going to find a kit. This is something most shops would make in house or sub out to someone with the tools and skill to make. In actuality, it's a fairly simple sign to make if you're feeling frisky.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Wish I was closer. We do custom millwork and one-off items. Shipping would be rough across the country. :(

Custom Bob

Buy a couple pressure treated wood posts and two fiberglass post covers that slide over the pressure treated wood posts. This saves the grief of staining or painting the posts and they last forever and look great. There gel coated and look much better than the PVC post covers. Grab a couple fancy post tops and a sheet of MDO and your set. Get your saw out. This is the cheapest way.

Mosh

Simple, for a sign shop. Sorry I am not much help. Go to www.auesignframes.com and tell him the Mosh sent you.
He is a merchant member here! Awesome products, great prices and FAST turnaround times.

gurlwithapen

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure how handy I am with a post-hole digger, but I'm excited about stepping out of my comfort zone on this one--I've gone too long without any real challenges! I'll post the results as soon as I've installed!

Tony McD

I have done several of these using 1/2" mdo, and 4x4 or 6x6 posts.
If you leave about 1 1/2" tab or wing on each end, and router a half inch
wide groove, 1 1/2" deep into each posts to slide the wing into.
Then screw through the post and wing with lag bolts.
It can be easily taken apart for delivery.

iSign

for the price of another sheet of MDO (passed along to client) and a little more paint time... I've often just made 2 signs (simultaneously, saving some paint drying time) and mounted on both sides of posts set a little closer together (saving the time & skill of cutting tabs & routing grooves)

the result isn't bad, and in my opinion, the extra cost of MDO is less then the cost of the work saved. (but the single panel, routed post solution is better, and IMO worth more money... so i do both)

here is one of my 2 panel solutions:
http://islandsignmaui.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/15f2.jpg

here is one with the tabs (wings) and grooves:
http://islandsign.com/vc7.jpg

TheSellOut

Like has been mentioned...make sure you get a contractors permit, in my town it's like $100...and most definitely make sure you "CALL BEFORE YOU DIG"!

I love a challenge myself and wish you the best with this...but do it the right way!

wes70

As Doug mentioned, using 2 panels, one on each side would make it easier for you. Also, in my opinion, would make the sign stronger.

WrapperX

puttin posts in the ground...........MOW YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!
cut a telephone cable, hit a gas line, hit a water line.........most of these type signs NEED A PERMIT or a CONTRACTORS license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is why i DONT DO INSTALLS!!!!!
i would make the sign, get paid for it, let the CLIENT put it in the ground, or pay somebody else to do it.

Just call Julie or the ground survey company in your local area - no reason to fright or stress about it. If you need a permit you get one and you pass the cost onto the customer. If you are unsure of the need for a permit call the city. They'll let you know.

This job is cake if you think about it. A router table to cut the sign OR the ability to use a jig saw and follow a line. 4x4 posts and some post caps found at a local hardware store. If you don't want the All Naturale look of just the post get some PVC Post covers with PVC Post Caps. Fit your cut 4x8 into the slots along with your rider - easy peasy! Just think it through, and don't panic. Add up the cost(s) of all the parts and figure out an ESTIAMTED time to put it all together. Could be a nice job over just doing the 4x8 vinyl job.