• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior substrate

BMurphy688

Hi all,

I have a question about exterior substrate to use. I have to paint the body to match existing trim then a black border. Then need to mount plastic formed letters to substrate.. Finally mount to block wall. Customer requested sign to be about an inch off wall. Discussed 1 inch tubing which would be fine. I'm not sure about painting aluminum products.

Size is 3' x 9'
Thanks

Last edited:

DSC

What are the dimensions?
How high is this going up?
Do you have a design to show for a better understanding of what your needs are?

If you are using gemini formed (or similiar) letters with pads and threaded rod for install you can literally use any exterior substrate. Alu-panel, Di Bond, aluminum, Luster-board, .. all can be painted, and the composites come in a variety of colors . If you design with the composites in mind you may save yourself some time and make more profit if you can get the background to match the trim ..

Just print a pattern and put some nuts on the back of the rod on the rear of the substrate face,.. You won't have to use any silicone glue or other possible messy solutions( epoxy, tapes, etc)

Does the client want it to appear to be one inch out from the wall? if so , the one inch tube frame may look bulky that close to the wall .. objective but possible..

visual800

we need to know the size and how high the sign is and the material your drilling into as far as brick...drivit.....these things matter

BMurphy688

Size does matter

Sorry guys. Size is 3' x 9' , wall is block so I would drill into mortar joints.

Sign will be 10-12' off the ground.

There's not much to the design. Rectangle with jewelery across the panel with formed plastic from Gemini.

Cust would like it to look as though it's an inch off the wall

Thanks again.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm not super clear on what the question is. As far as spacers, I would use pretty much any metal tubing you can find (conduit, aluminum, etc.) and just cut some 1" pieces.

If the question is what material to use for your background, I would use ACM or aluminum and lay vinyl on the face.

DSC

Sorry guys. Size is 3' x 9' , wall is block so I would drill into mortar joints.

Sign will be 10-12' off the ground.

There's not much to the design. Rectangle with jewelery across the panel with formed plastic from Gemini.

Cust would like it to look as though it's an inch off the wall

Thanks again.

Any metal primer and a good hand with a rattle can (auto paint mixed in a can) will give a good finish .. you can also print the color and lam the substrate if you have a good solvent printer?)
I would use a 4' x 10' of Econo panel and use that for the face ..
If you have a brake make your own trim with some scrap 040 and keep the edge as trim as possible .. drill your pattern holes and use some nuts for the letter pins as stated before. Put an extra piece of one inch tubing, on the uprights behind the sign (should have at least 4 ) one inch (or a little more)inset from the top and bottom to stand sign off the wall one inch, while hiding the "stand offs" ..

I would get ATLEAST (3) 5/16" lags or reds in that wall one EACH upright for a total of 12 fasteners .. If some wind gets behind this thing you want to make sure it stays on the wall.

BMurphy688

Thanks for all your input.

DSC. as far as lags your stating these to go through face of sign?? Or just through uprights? If latter how to mount to up rights?s would really like to keep face clean.

I'm gonna have to paint as cust requested no vinyl to be used.

DSC

Thanks for all your input.

DSC. as far as lags your stating these to go through face of sign?? Or just through uprights? If latter how to mount to up rights?s would really like to keep face clean.

I'm gonna have to paint as cust requested no vinyl to be used.

You could either plate the uprights on the sides, or Drill a hole Large enough for your driver to go through the face wall of the 1" x 1" and then put the head AND WASHER on the back wall only.. If you do this I would use 2" x 1" Awning tubing as the uprights as the back wall will be wider to accomodate the head and washer and provide more "meat" for the fasteners..

Do you have an alupanel/dibond swatch? what color is the background is it a pms?