• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

face book

Techman

Some time ago I discussed the metrics of face book.

It was said that facebook was the new wave of marketing. That every one would be doing social media. I went to seminars where they raved about some of the latest social media techniques.

I came home and did some trials over a medium term period. Then found that social media was not "golden" as some said it was.

In the news fb is taking a beating from the sec over the usage of mobile users. Mobile users do not see as many ads as a desk top user.

Social media is doing some good for some..

Mosh

it is all how you market it! If you promote your FB page and are looking for one person type of work it is golden. If you are looking for Corp or large scale work not all all. I get more "hey can you make a poster" type crap off my FB than any REAL work. But if that is your game it is there.

I guess it is all in what kind of work you want to do, FB will be bottom feeder type work for sure! Hey I need 500 shirts...ahhh I thought they would be $1 each for that many!!! That is all I get!

Pat Whatley

Facebook has it's place. The music festival we put on in July was almost entirely promoted through facebook and our "reach" was almost 15,000 people. Not bad for a town of 3500. I don't see a whole lot of use for it promoting my business, just doesn't fit what I'm doing at this point.

qmr55

I know this isn't exactly what your post was about, but has anyone read this book?

Very interesting read! Here

lazaros

Just like any other media(like newspapers and magazines) you advertise your self. They see your ad they know you exist. If they ever need a quote of something they might give you a chance to give a quote as well. personally i am using facebook to promote my shop through offers. If i get a customer to visit my shop for an offer, he/she will get to see all the work we do, and who knows you might be recommended to someone else, who might give you the bigger job. it all comes down to advertising your business.

WildWestDesigns

It all depends. I've gotten quite a few customers that contact my almost exclusively through FB. Hell, I've sent embroidery files to them using the FB IM system.

It really just depends. More and more people use social media, now that might change or the demographics of which social media they use might change, but it does have it's place. I will say that I do believe that more people use FB than QR codes, so the chances of reaching them are going to be greater this method than through QR codes. But that's just from what I've observed.

Farmboy

It's as useful as you make it. Same as anything else. The last pic we posted I promoted for $10 and it got 60 likes and 2,500 views. I'll take that bet for ten bucks.

TheSnowman

I've gotten a ton of work from it, just on my personal page. Whenever I do something I like, I just upload it to my website, and to my FB page. When people contact me they say "I've seen your great work on Facebook" and then they understand that it takes a little time, prep, and money to put together something great.

WildWestDesigns

I've never looked into what is involved in that aspect, but I can see how mobile usage could limit the results if a majority of the sponsored ads don't show up. I know they don't on my phone.

That isn't the only thing that is limited with the FB mobile app. I just started a little FB store attached to my business page, where I'm able to upload stock patterns or Wilcom fonts for sale as I get them finished. The store does not show up if you are viewing on the phone or other mobile device.

I know the mobile app is supposed to make things easier for people using the phones to look at things, but there are times that I wish I could have a choice as to either use the mobile interface of the regular.

One other thing that doesn't show up is the messages. If you get messages through your business page, you will get an alert, but you won't be able to read them on that interface. That's another thing that I'm not quite fond of.

Dan Antonelli

We get a lot of work from the FB page, but its also about top of mind, which is more difficult to gauge in terms of effectiveness. We just hit 1000 'likes' on our page a few weeks ago.

We're also starting to see an increase in leads via Pinterest.

Border

"Top of Mind", as Dan stated, is probably one of the better reasons to keep posting photos and links on your FB pages and other social media sites.
Just keeping your company and the various services that you offer at the front of people's minds rather than at the back or not at all can benefit when it comes time for them or one of their friends who needs something that you offer as a service.

Farmboy

"Top of Mind", as Dan stated, is probably one of the better reasons to keep posting photos and links on your FB pages and other social media sites.
Just keeping your company and the various services that you offer at the front of people's minds rather than at the back or not at all can benefit when it comes time for them or one of their friends who needs something that you offer as a service.

This!

We just got an invite to a seminar, a local agency was touting how one of their members would be giving the low down on FACEBOOK marketing, so I checked out the agency's page. 108 likes :ROFLMAO:

John L

My regular clients are accessing the net on corporate networks. They all tell me that facebook is restricted from their browsers.

I know I never click through a link that I see refers to facebook and I've spoke to many folks who are the same.

WildWestDesigns

My regular clients are accessing the net on corporate networks. They all tell me that facebook is restricted from their browsers.

Unless they are with marketing, I could understand that. The last thing that corporate needs is for people to be more concerned with harvesting their "crop" on Farmville versus doing real work.

saktrnch

One other thing that doesn't show up is the messages. If you get messages through your business page, you will get an alert, but you won't be able to read them on that interface. That's another thing that I'm not quite fond of.

I get messages on my FB app, on my phone, for both personal and business.