• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Face Shields for Medical Staff

AGinVT

Hello everyone. I am back looking for some expert advice. This one is a little different though.

I'm sure everyone here has seen or at least heard about other industries jumping into the fight against Covid-19. Here at our little shop, we are hoping to jump in and help out if we can. I have come across some articles and videos online about producing your own protective face shields. We want to produce and distribute some of these at no charge for our local hospital and health clinics.

The materials look pretty basic, but I was hoping for some recommendations on the shield material itself. We don't often deal with lean or polycarbonate thin enough for these shields. I assume anything thin enough to serve this purpose would come on a roll, but not sure the best place to source these rolls.

Cutting is the other question. We recently purchased a Summa S Class Series S2T160. We bought it for die-cutting labels and vehicle graphics, but wondering if anyone has had success on any polycarbonate-like materials.

I'm including an example of what I am talking about. Please send along any input you have and please remember that this is not at all what we are set up to do, so bear with me on my lack of experience.

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 11.11.13 AM.jpeg

AGinVT

Our local Makers Space has actually developed this one. But they need to get their hands on PET 0.020”. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 235
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 240
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 236

AGinVT

Seriously? Our country is literally over run with PET....a 2 liter soda bottle would be just about perfect.

JB
I'm pretty sure our doctors and nurses want something other than soda bottles. Our Makers Space has vectors for their CNC, but needs sheeting. Looking for helpful responses to a serious issue. Seriously.

StarSign

I would check with your local hospital and make sure they will accept items like this. I am seeing a lot of stay at home moms sewing masks but then hearing from hospitals that they aren't accepting them.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
I called my plastics supplier yesterday. They have a backorder of about 4000 48x96 sheets of PETG and growing

APCInk

Merchant Member
Take a look here for a proven list of materials, and template for Laser and CNC:

https://vinylbomb.com/

This comes courtesy of one of our awesome customers, Chris of VinylBomb in Hamilton, NJ. He has been making and selling face-shields. It's apparently been keeping his shop open and keeping his guys paid, but he's fully aware that he can't keep up with the tremendous demand on his own, so has made the plans available to anyone who wants them.

here is one I came up with pretty simple 3 pieces of material , .020 clear lexan, 1 1/4 elastic, 1inch upholstery foam, 3m77 spray glue I did a few prototypes and this is what I came up with, it takes my router about 30sec to cut one, 1min to install the elastic and 1min to glue the foam

Attachments

• face 1.jpg
    face 1.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 211
  • face 2.jpg
    face 2.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 206
  • face 3.jpg
    face 3.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 215
  • face 5.jpg
    face 5.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 208
  • face 4.jpg
    face 4.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 207
  • face 6.jpg
    face 6.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 205

AGinVT

here is one I came up with pretty simple 3 pieces of material , .020 clear lexan, 1 1/4 elastic, 1inch upholstery foam, 3m77 spray glue I did a few prototypes and this is what I came up with, it takes my router about 30sec to cut one, 1min to install the elastic and 1min to glue the foam
We are ready to pump out 1000s of these, but can't track down 0.020" clear plastics. Anyone with any viable sources, please let me know. We want to give these away to medical and public safety workers, but can't make them without the plastic.

neutrinocv

Hello everyone. I am back looking for some expert advice. This one is a little different though.

I'm sure everyone here has seen or at least heard about other industries jumping into the fight against Covid-19. Here at our little shop, we are hoping to jump in and help out if we can. I have come across some articles and videos online about producing your own protective face shields. We want to produce and distribute some of these at no charge for our local hospital and health clinics.

The materials look pretty basic, but I was hoping for some recommendations on the shield material itself. We don't often deal with lean or polycarbonate thin enough for these shields. I assume anything thin enough to serve this purpose would come on a roll, but not sure the best place to source these rolls.

Cutting is the other question. We recently purchased a Summa S Class Series S2T160. We bought it for die-cutting labels and vehicle graphics, but wondering if anyone has had success on any polycarbonate-like materials.

I'm including an example of what I am talking about. Please send along any input you have and please remember that this is not at all what we are set up to do, so bear with me on my lack of experience.

View attachment 146307
CCM-Bauer here in Blainville QC has stopped it's hockey equipment production to manufacture such shields that have been approved by the Safety and Health department in Canada. They already have 1 million of these in order and are basically selling them at near cost price. They have made their design free of use. They can be contacted to obtain the electronic files.

Attachments

• 412bcfe2-71dd-11ea-b33c-02fe89184577.jpg
    412bcfe2-71dd-11ea-b33c-02fe89184577.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 200
  • image.png
    image.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 198

thomlov

We cut them on the Zund with a knife (not routing). Can do about 300 masks cut per hour with on and offloading.

But its polycarbonate, not the thin PET stuff. We cloud probably produce alot faster with PET, but its a much more robust and better product with the polycarbonate.

Attachments

• 06681D72-6582-4BC7-92A2-93ED7BF11D8B.jpeg
    06681D72-6582-4BC7-92A2-93ED7BF11D8B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 167
  • 0D8DBE2C-752C-41D0-9428-2505DB0FDDBB.jpeg
    0D8DBE2C-752C-41D0-9428-2505DB0FDDBB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 148
  • A17B5504-A82B-4A9D-A292-113D92A7D32D.jpeg
    A17B5504-A82B-4A9D-A292-113D92A7D32D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Joel golden

So, from my supplier: “ the entire industry is out of 20mil and 10mil material right now because of the face shield production and you can’t compete with ford and GM getting that, even as a distributor. We do have 5mil stuff that is being used but it is thin. We have 31” wide material and 72,000 feet of it if you want”

rjssigns

I'd think 5 mil would be plenty stiff. Not like your working in a machine shop and it has to stop chips and other shrapnel.