• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fair or unfair?

Fair or unfair?

• Fair

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Unfair

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

FrankenSigns.biz

We have done 2 previous full box truck wraps for this client. A location in a nearby state called me for a third and wanted it done by Friday. We were told it was identical model to the previous box trucks trucks but a new model year. We looked up the box truck online and it was the same in every way.

We printed and laminated all the graphics that conform to the two previous instances and when we arrive to do the wrap, we notice the box on the back is longer and shorter in height than the previous two vans.

We immediately begin wrapping the cab and rear roll-up door while the shop augmented and reprinted the sides to conform to the existing box and deadline was met.

I asked the client to cover my intrinsic costs and the client has refused to compensate us in any form.

Rather than damage our relationship we acquiesce at the original invoice price.

Was the client fair or unfair?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We go through this all the time, its unfair. We always require requests in writing so that we have a literal resource to show them that it was their fault.

"Its Exactly the Same." is a phrase that makes me cringe every time I hear it.

gabagoo

You were put in an awkward position.
You were told the truck was the same and printed before seeing the vehicle.
What alternative did you have? You could have talked it out before you started the install, but would you be willing to throw it all out if he refused to pay the extra costs?

I would have done what you did.
I suppose there will be those that say you should have gone out and double checked the sizing before you printed and they may well be correct, but in this busy world sometimes you actually trust the client and take his word for it.

Please tell me you still make something on the job?

FrankenSigns.biz

You were put in an awkward position.
You were told the truck was the same and printed before seeing the vehicle.
What alternative did you have? You could have talked it out before you started the install, but would you be willing to throw it all out if he refused to pay the extra costs?

I would have done what you did.
I suppose there will be those that say you should have gone out and double checked the sizing before you printed and they may well be correct, but in this busy world sometimes you actually trust the client and take his word for it.

Please tell me you still make something on the job?

Good point. The vehicle was delivered to my client day we showed up. No way to view in advance. Had to go on the clients word.

JgS

Honesty I don't think anyone was in the wrong. You had the right to ask and your client had the right to refuse. It was just a bad situation.

peavey123

Kind of unfair, but kind of not. lol

Never trust someone else to measure something for you, or in your case tell you it's the same size. They could be dyslexic, dumb and confuse cm & inches, or just make a simple mistake. Unless they are a great person, it might be difficult to get any money out of them when you relied on them to do your job basically...as you learned. I bet you never let that happen again. :)

ExecuPrintGS

We had this happen with a client, they got new trucks and to them they are the same but to us they are completely different and we have gone round and round that we can not make the logo the exact same size (round logo) when the new trucks are 1.5' shorter because they wont fit. They insist that every truck has to have the same size logos. Of course they insisted this after approving a proof and receiving a finished truck... No matter what you become the bad guy in these situations. feels like we are :banghead: with this kind of customer.

FrankenSigns.biz

Just got a call from the president of the franchise corporation. He was listening in on the conversation and thinks my offer to have them cover my cost ($1100) is more than fair.

What a stand up guy.

FrankenSigns.biz

We had this happen with a client, they got new trucks and to them they are the same but to us they are completely different and we have gone round and round that we can not make the logo the exact same size (round logo) when the new trucks are 1.5' shorter because they wont fit. They insist that every truck has to have the same size logos. Of course they insisted this after approving a proof and receiving a finished truck... No matter what you become the bad guy in these situations. feels like we are :banghead: with this kind of customer.

We have an email trail and sign-off proofs every step of the way. The box is different, the cab is identical.

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's a great Client to keep! I bet your composure and unrelenting will to meet the deadline really helped them to see the whole picture. I'm glad this one ended well for you.

Craig Sjoquist

Like many times it happens to all... ya just did not ask enough questions ya just assumed.

Can not say it was fair or unfair because it was assumption plain & simple & hopefully a good enough to earn a profit in this case.

The question ... buyer can you measure the box van for us please where printed vinyl will go ?

GypsyGraphics

Just got a call from the president of the franchise corporation. He was listening in on the conversation and thinks my offer to have them cover my cost ($1100) is more than fair.

What a stand up guy.

i'm sure the professional manner in which you handled it at the install, played a roll in the president agreeing that you be fairly compensate.

don't ya just love happy endings :smile:

I no longer wrap anything unless I can measure or the client takes full responsibility if it doesn't fit properly based on their assumptions of it being the same. I've been in your shoes and it sucks...however I found that most clients aren't willing to take a chance if it's their money on the line and not yours. Suddenly that job that needed to be done on Friday is ok to have done next week.

~Chris

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
If you have written (email) proof they stated it was "exactly the same" then that would be the same as them approving the proof.
You then have provided goods and services for which you are legally entitled monetary compensation for rendering what they ordered.
The problem was when you chose to just redo the prints at the new size without their approval or agreement to pay extra.
You should have stopped once you provided what they initially ordered...and said...it doesn't fit like you ordered.
Then haggled with them about any "Additional" costs and or printing in order for their vehicle that differs from the approved proof to be wrapped.

binki

We never let the client provide measurements unless they sign a waiver and pay in advance. If it doesn't fit after that they are stuck.

HulkSmash

I never print until the vehicle is measured by us. Ever. too many situations like this. The cabs will always be the same but boxes can and are manufactured at different locations by different vendors.

Glad they took care of it, what a rare thing.

neil_se

That's a good result for an awkward situation. If a client tells us they have another vehicle "exactly the same" then we might be inclined to do the same. A great thing about having a Latex printer is being able to print it on the day if you're unsure.

Z SIGNS

Glad this turned out good for you and hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson from it.

When you are doing custom work like this there is literally thousands of things that could go wrong.

It's up to you to be able to anticipate problems and put an end to them before they begin.

As others have said you should have measured it yourself.

Is it fair or unfair well you made a very rookie mistake so I would not call it unfair.

This same scenario has happened to all of us at one point or another.
It's up to you develop your own "crystal ball" and put the kabosh on it before it happens.

Even with my crystal ball and many years experience there are still things that come out the left field.

Happened last week to me I quoted installing a post and panel without surveying the location.
Customer told me it was soil and I had them send me a picture.Seemed like a no brainer.

We arrive at the job site only to find that the location was not accessible by truck and we had to schlep the sign and digging tools a 1/4 mile
and then find out that friendly looking photo of the soil birm was really a large concrete slab that was just covered with 4" of dirt.

This was my fault and I ate the time it took to go back to the shop and get the jackhammer.

Never take what a customer tells you to be accurate unless you are prepared to eat the job if it goes south.

Even if you do enter into an agreement and even if it is in writing that it's based on the information provided by them
it's not the way to do business.

You are the professional and it's up to you make sure everything is accurate.
This is what you are getting paid for and your client deserves nothing less.

Again I'm glad you got paid.If you did not I would not call it unfair.

I would call it a very valuable educational course that you took , graduated from and the tuition fee was only $1100