• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Fair Use" in Copyright

GypsyGraphics

the timing of this thread is perfect! going to court in a few weeks as an expert witness in a logo copyright infringement case. should be a blast!

interesting to read a thief's (albeit ignorant) story

Billct2

I'm beginning to think some of the lines being drawn are arbitrary and inconsistant.
For instance the tatto artist that recently sued ( and settled out of court) for the parody of his Mike Tyson face ink in Hangover 2. I wonder if magazines like Mad and National Lampoon could even exist today as they did when I was growing up.

Billct2

Why didn't the tattoo in the movie? Same principle.
Even this story about the album cover, isn't it a form of satire? 8 bit art version of a photo? Sure seems like parody to me. Or a form of tribute, but no way do I see that as
a copyright violation.

shakey0818

I think its clear its a copyright violation.Do you think it would be ok for me to get the Nike swoosh tattooed on my head.It might be a simple design but he did design it and go through the proper channels to copyright it.So what your saying is that all these design that sign makers make and copyright can be used by anybody without permission of the designer.

Locals Find!

I got a fair use question. Please don't crucify me as I am just trying to better understand this and keep myself on the straight and true path.

I vectorized this royalty free image I purchased a 1 time use license for. (Image #1) Did I violate any copyright or fair use rules? My license didn't say anything about vectorization of the artwork. I only have used it 1 place also for some business cards for a client. (Image #2)

Attachments

• bigstock_Palm_Trees_1349057.jpg
    bigstock_Palm_Trees_1349057.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 87
  • side2-businesscard.jpg
    side2-businesscard.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 85

Billct2

If it's parody or satire, absolutley. There is a distinction between another tattoo artist copying someones tattoo design and a movie making fun of that design.
So what your saying is that all these design that sign makers make and copyright can be used by anybody without permission of the designer.
and that isn't to this discussion, we're talking about derivative art and whne is it no longer a copy and when does it become an original in it's own right along with the
the question of satire, parody or even "tribute"

Last edited:

iSign

I think its clear its a copyright violation.Do you think it would be ok for me to get the Nike swoosh tattooed on my head.It might be a simple design but he did design it and go through the proper channels to copyright it.So what your saying is that all these design that sign makers make and copyright can be used by anybody without permission of the designer.

if you didn't read the story Jon linked to, you won't know what is being discussed here... if you did read it, you should know that your post has almost no bearing on the topic at hand and while may be an interesting discussion in another thread... it serves as little more that a distraction to this topic...

over simplification rarely helps... in my opinion...

This is a complex issue, and nothing any of us can do will make it less complex... so to discuss it, is to accept the complexities of the topic, and deal with them, or avoid the topic altogether...

If a guy who thought he understood where the line is drawn involving parody or satire with regard to derivative works is now out countless hours & $32,000.00... and his blog identifies numerous similar occurrences where rulings were contradictory... and where judge and/or jury findings were contradictory... I think this would establish that this is (& will remain) a complex issue.

I have little doubt that some of the usual know-it-all suspects may chime in with the be-all end-all answer to this question... but until they've walked as far down this path as the guy who forked over the $32K.. I'm gonna guess they have less to offer to the conversation.

Adtechia.. you want opinions of your clip art purchase, and subsequent usage? I'm going to suggest that your question could result in a very informative discussion.. possibly also worthy of it's own thread... provided you take one additional step first. Go find the exact image from that specific company you purchased it from, and based on the exact resolution, or terms you specified in your purchase.. locate the fine print & come back here with the exact language you agreed to when you bought that artwork.. you can call it royalty free or whatever you remember believing or reading... but for any kind of legal discussion, why not bring forth the exact legal language covering that real life purchase... and thereby create the opportunity for a meaningful conversation rather then a bunch of hearsay.

Locals Find!

I had read the article and was confused by some points. Which had me thinking about my situation. The photo I purchased a license to use, I had recreated. Not very different than what this guy did in the article with his pixelation. Except he didn't purchase a license.

Since, I was confused that was why I asked the question. I figured since I was unclear asking the question was in line with the thread.

I apologize if it wasn't in line with the discussion to ask for clarification on a point I was confused on.

iSign

Adtechia, most of my post was to Shakey... after quoting him... sounds like you think it was all to you perhaps...

Once i addressed you, my intent was to acknowledge what I consider to be a very relevant question.. "possibly also worthy of it's own thread" ...but never intended to leave you with the impression that I was questioning your right to ask it here...

but I do think it's fair to say that if you want any meaningful reply, to a question centered specifically around what rights or privileges you purchased under a written agreement you "signed off" on... that you need to find that written agreement, and bring it here & paste it in so the replies you get are not just another meaningless collection of conjecture... does that seem reasonable?

Locals Find!

Adtechia, most of my post was to Shakey... after quoting him... sounds like you think it was all to you perhaps...

Once i addressed you, my intent was to acknowledge what I consider to be a very relevant question.. "possibly also worthy of it's own thread" ...but never intended to leave you with the impression that I was questioning your right to ask it here...

but I do think it's fair to say that if you want any meaningful reply, to a question centered specifically around what rights or privileges you purchased under a written agreement you "signed off" on... that you need to find that written agreement, and bring it here & paste it in so the replies you get are not just another meaningless collection of conjecture... does that seem reasonable?

Yes it does Doug. I think I will do just that also.

shakey0818

I do understand ya comment Doug,but you should know almost all threads get off topic a bit.Sometimes they bring up different ideas which could get other threads started.Your right this topic should kinda keep to the point cause it very well could go into many different direction.

jasonx

I think the blog Jon references teaches us some interesting lessons in terms of the business were in. The most important lesson is don't open yourself to the possibility of finding yourself in the same situation. Get permission from the copyright holder or don't use it.

This isn't about being wrong or right its about what is and what isn't going to cost your business money. You can always win a court case doesn't mean you are going to financially benefit from it. In the end I'd assume most people run a business for profit.