• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fat head requests for high school graduation

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi All, I have two requests over the weekend for "fat heads" of graduating seniors. This is something I haven't done before. Any specific advice on dpi and materials would be appreciated. My assumption would be that they would like it on card board or something similar. Thanks!

Reveal1

Usually the reference to 'fatheads' is the product marketed on the web by that name, which is a contour cut removable/re-postionable wall product. Nothing special; we do those as print/cut using any number of repostionable wall products printed with whatever piece of crap photo (that we charge to photoshop, crop add body parts etc) we usually get from the customer. Just keep in mind to warn customers that low VOC, scrubbable paints may not adhere well. If they want stand-up figures like you referenced we use print ounted to coro and hand cut along with a self designed stand also cut from coro.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We do these all the time. Best photo from an original source i.e. not facebook, not a photo of a photo, not a low res from a cell phone. No matter what, we ultimately print our decal at 150 -300 dpi with LZW compression as an rgb tiff. Apply the decal to 4mm coro and cut with an x-acto then use VHB to stick a yardstick onto it.

FatCat

I'd imagine coro would make it look cheap. What about foam board or something of the sort?

We've been doing these regularly for the past 3-4 years. We tried all sorts of materials, coro is the best bang for the buck. Yes, foam board looks nicer initially, but gets banged up easily AND will not hold up to a rainy/wet event outdoors (Football, soccer, baseball, etc.)

MikePro

FatHeads is a brand name of a product sold online that reps brands like the NFL/Marvel/Disney/DC, like in the commercials.
so when people reference "fat heads", I assume people are referring to the low-tack, easy-apply/remove, woven polyester wall graphic media like wallnoodle/phototex/etc.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
FatHeads is a brand name of a product sold online that reps brands like the NFL/Marvel/Disney/DC, like in the commercials.
so when people reference "fat heads", I assume people are referring to the low-tack, easy-apply/remove, woven polyester wall graphic media like wallnoodle/phototex/etc.

Yes, know the product. We just needed a generic name to call these "big heads" all the family members want to "shake" around during graduation events or sports games. We just started calling them fat heads for simplicity.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think the vertical coro is my favorite answer and Myront, I'll use your suggestions with the photo. Thanks everyone for the speedy responses!

BALLPARK

We print Big Heads for high schools. Some seniors for graduation, some for sports, and some of the school mascots.

You can print them on coro using a UV printer or print them on vinyl and apply them to the coro. I would not suggest to use foam as it tends to bend out of shape quickly and if you are shipping them then it's could get ugly. There are better substrates to use other than coro, but they will not see the same price point. So, coro has been really good for us keeping the clients happy with the overall price.

Good luck... they are a cool product and one of our focus points for sports related signage within schools. It's cool to see them used at the games...kids love them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
We print Big Heads for high schools. Some seniors for graduation, some for sports, and some of the school mascots.

You can print them on coro using a UV printer or print them on vinyl and apply them to the coro. I would not suggest to use foam as it tends to bend out of shape quickly and if you are shipping them then it's could get ugly. There are better substrates to use other than coro, but they will not see the same price point. So, coro has been really good for us keeping the clients happy with the overall price.

Good luck... they are a cool product and one of our focus points for sports related signage within schools. It's cool to see them used at the games...kids love them.
This sounds like a great product offering! May I ask what you sell them at? I would print then apply to coro and cut out. Thank you!

BALLPARK

We offer multiple sizes... It all depends on the head of the kid. When we do runs for a school we will start with the largest head being close to 30"-36" for the height. Some don't want it to be too large...

Our pricing points range from $35 to $65 for a Big Head. We are not a typical sign company in our approach to doing business. This product is one that schools love and we will lower the rates for schools that we handle their sponsorship programs, school based signage, or team related signage. Some we will donate to the schools based on their order history as it strengthens our relationship with them as this type of product hits home with the kids and parents.

BALLPARK

I too would be curious what you're going to charge for a 3'x3'

Coro 3x3 - Single Sided... depends on which industry we are selling to for the project. It would range from $45 - $65 for retail based clients that come in our shop or call in their order and the total number of units.

We are getting ready to launch a small network of companies that help us sell signage online. Those network of websites are industry focused and the prices for the signage are just part of the package that we offer in terms of our services.

One of them is for golf... Here is an example of the pricing they will sell to their course, event directors, and sponsors:

2x3 coro insert for $20 for single sided or $25 for double sided.
18x24 yard sign with sponsor logo and wire stakes for $10 for single sided and $12 for double sided.

Those prices are far better than we would sell most of our products to our retail companies without having bulk type orders directly from the sign company. But it's not a sign company... It's a golf company that has below wholesale rate for signage and it's used to lure in more clients for the bigger picture that also generates new sales for the sign company.

Again... we don't have a typical signage sales approach. Not saying we are doing it right or even better... just that we have other services that we can generate sales from and we use the signage for those focused market companies to help us secure other market segments that would be harder to acquire without having a sign company.

I'm not sure our model works to well in some areas for a generalized pricing point... but hope it helps.

Ldireprophil

We do a ton of fatheads. Coro for outdoor, foam board for indoor. 5 gallon paint stir sticks are free at a Sherwin Willams paint store. 3m double sided tape to secure to back of head. $21 retail.

Attachments

• 04C50D73-B52C-4C1D-93A3-40824416FE68.jpeg
    04C50D73-B52C-4C1D-93A3-40824416FE68.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • 8A9DD437-54A4-41EB-80DB-2AFC9B57C749.jpeg
    8A9DD437-54A4-41EB-80DB-2AFC9B57C749.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 5B655909-741F-47B5-850D-1154E66B9845.jpeg
    5B655909-741F-47B5-850D-1154E66B9845.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 170
  • F40DD9C3-90F3-43A6-BD9A-34105B0C56D1.jpeg
    F40DD9C3-90F3-43A6-BD9A-34105B0C56D1.jpeg