Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faux Neon

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Dec 24, 2019.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    First of all Merry Xmas Eve All!
    Faux or Fake neon is the most annoying thing to me. It always seems to be the greatest pain to work with, requiring almost as much skill to cut, bend, seal, etc as authentic neon. Plus the life when compared to a masterfully blown piece of neon is extremely short. (I'm looking at you GE contour, Sloan's LEDstripe is pretty good for straight runs, but trimming and capping isn't any more reliable.)
    So anyway, I came across an instructable on a fake neon sign that I might actually try. Figured I'd see what others think. I myself have tried the etching with a router approach, but the tool marks, inconsistent frosting/clarity in the tool path, annoyance with mounting the led's around the perimeter, all of these things essentially keep me from bothering to produce anything of the sort for my customers. So here I present, aquariam tubing faux neon sign: https://www.instructables.com/id/Realistic-LED-Neon-Sign-Super-Bright/
    [​IMG]

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Neat idea. Nice when people craftier than me share their work.

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I very much love nit picking all of the oddball ways people find to accomplish stuff like this. Then it kindly hits me that I'm producing the same thing that they are, in a manufacturing facility with thousand dollar tools and such, and this guy in his garage is doing just as good a job as I am.