• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fc 8000

justaskjoe

Hello,
my wife is wanting to get into the vinyl lettering business- the machine that we are looking at is the fc8000. Any feedback/experiances with this machine would be helpful. Is it worth the extra money to buy the latest model out?? Thanks

animenick65

Welcome! Is this something your wife wants you to do, or are you interested in it as well? Many people here believe of the signage industry and making/designing signs as a passion.

Lunatic Taskbar

If your thinking of getting into this industry, do you have any background in it? can you tell the difference between a vector and a raster. Do you have any design software? Or are you a current sign shop?

Normaly an introduction is a polite way to let us know a little about yourself. The intro may help us to assertain you needs a little better. The advise you recieve will be better targeted to your needs as well.

As an examle if your looking to this as a hobby then a CE5000 may be a better option to you. and considerably cheaper. If your adding this to an existing full sign shop and the machine is going to be running all day every day then the FC7000 or FC8000 would be a necessity. There are a number of other brands out there as well. If you would be kind enough to give us your scenario we I am sure will do our best to help you and to point you in the right direction.

On a slight side note I recently "almost" purchased a FC8000, After the order was placed I was called by my supplier and was offered a great deal on a FC7000 I jumped at the FC7000. If anything goes wrong there is more likely to be a greater amount of people who have experiance with the same issue. The saving was also a good motivator, the FC7000 is built very well. So there may be a better deal out there for you on FC7000. I belive they are both built to last.

Case

The FC7000 or FC8000 are both great machines. The FC8000 has some nice new features to it. I would go for the FC series over the CE series any day. The FC series is "top shelf" liquor, the CE series is "well" liquor if you know what I mean.

Case

justaskjoe

I am in real estate and would use the cutter for make signs and banners for myself and others. My wife is interested in wall art and sandblast media. This would be a hobby and nothing full time but I am looking for the best machine for the money that will have alot of potential and wont be limited by the machine capabilities. Any input by someone that has used the fc8000 would be great. I am planing on purchasing a package deal from signware house. Is this the best way to get started or is the software that they include not worth it? The cost for the started package #4 is approx $1000 over the machine. How does the Lxi software compare to what else is available?

Thanks for the feedback

Jim Doggett

Hi Joe,

Graphtec is the premium cutter, in the friction-feed category. For about 80 grand you can get her a Zund flatbed ... thus the qualifier :^)

They're whisper quiet, blazing fast, supremely accurate and will outlive most of us. They can cut super thin window-tint and Rubylithe (screen-print) films, extra thick rubber sandblast mask and diamond grade reflective, and darn near everything in between. And the cutting is sublime. No vinyl ears (lift-up on tight corners) or incomplete cuts. So your wife will save hours and frustration when it comes to weeding.

Graphtec has also taken blade-movement to a new level. I can't begin to tell you why, but running at the same inches-per-second as other cutters, Graphtec will cut significantly more. Part of that is the soft blade landing, which elinimates unneeded up and down blade movement. When cutting a file with lots of text, throughput really matters. Believe me, on other cutters it's like watching grass grow. Graphtec will really improve your workflow.

In short, Graphtec constantly pushes the envelope on quality and technology ... and the quiet operation is what truly speaks to the quality of the build and the precision of every part in them.

They don't just work; they're a joy to work with.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Doggett

I am in real estate and would use the cutter for make signs and banners for myself and others. My wife is interested in wall art and sandblast media. This would be a hobby and nothing full time but I am looking for the best machine for the money that will have alot of potential and wont be limited by the machine capabilities. Any input by someone that has used the fc8000 would be great. I am planing on purchasing a package deal from signware house. Is this the best way to get started or is the software that they include not worth it? The cost for the started package #4 is approx $1000 over the machine. How does the Lxi software compare to what else is available?

Thanks for the feedback

Oops, missed this post. Package 4 is definitely nicer, both in terms of software (LXi is FlexiSIGN compatible) and goodies. Also, as the marketing guy, I have some advanced knowledge on upcoming deals. Next week we'll offer the Vinyl Express Q60, and 24-inch cutter made by ... uh ... makers of the premium cutter. The deal will be get package 4 for package 1 pricing.

Thanks again,

Jim

Case

Vinyl Express Q60 is junk compared the the "real Graphtec FC series"......... Don't waste your time. You are stuck with whatever firmware is on the plotter and the cut pressure isn't near the 600 grams of force on the FC series from Graphtec. Yeah Graphtec makes these for Sign Warehouse, but I wouldn't touch it. You are stuck with some features you can't upgrade with firmware like you can on a "true" Graphtec. Let me be blunt, the "Q" series from Sign Warehouse sucks.

Case

Jim Doggett

:Coffee:Case,

If you're not happy with your Vinyl Express Q60, I'd be happy to take it in trade toward an FC7000-60-Mk2 or FC8000-60. The Q60 is an extremely popular cutter (our best selling Q) and would be easy to sell outright if a trade is not to your liking.

Meanwhile, here are some unsolicited comments from our customers:

“Speed and accuracy are key to my company's success and that is what I get with the Vinyl Express Q60 … As well as purchasing a superior machine, I have access to a phenomenal Tech Support System that has never let me down."
- Lisa Wright, Written Décor

"I bought a Vinyl Express Q Series to stripe our police cars ... I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE ... it tracks staight and we have no trouble ..."
- Mark Wyatt, Bossier Sheriff Office

"We bought a Q Series for sandblasting applications … it hasn't missed a beat yet."
- Jeff Nabors

"I just wanted to touch base with you about my new cutter. I bought the Q60, 24". I LOVE IT. Oh my goodness, I had no idea what I was missing. I wish I'd made the purchase long ago. It's fast, quiet and even with the smallest letters for the decals we make, it hasn't torn one time. I'm truly amazed.

Thank you so much for all your hard work and all the efforts Sign Warehouse put into helping me select the perfect cutter for my business."
-Susan C. Savarese, School Spirit Window Decals

[many, many more]

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

CarolinaCabinet

Not speaking from personal experience, but i've heard you get no customer support from Sign Warehouse when you get deals like this. Does anyone know if thats true. Plotters are pretty simple, but being new he may have trouble at first and might benefit from paying an extra couple of hundred and getting some like Sign Supply USA or Advantage to install and give support... just trying to help, if anyone knows that Sign Warehouse does offer support please correct this because it's only what I was told, I have never used them personally.

CarolinaCabinet

Jim, just noticed that you were VP of Marketing... sorry didnt know that, I wasn't trying to put down your company... As I said, I've never experienced how you guys do customer service, it may have just been a bad rumor.... I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I've looked on your website and you constantly have some of the best prices around.

Jim Doggett

Jim, just noticed that you were VP of Marketing... sorry didnt know that, I wasn't trying to put down your company... As I said, I've never experienced how you guys do customer service, it may have just been a bad rumor.... I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I've looked on your website and you constantly have some of the best prices around.

Dang it! I need to raise our prices. :^)

We do offer support. As far as how good it is, I'll defer to folks with greater objectivity. But, here are the specifics:

Toll-free phone: 7am - 11pm CST, weekdays; 9am to 4pm Sat; 1pm - 5pm Sun. Call as often as you wish, for as long as you wish. We typically have about 5 - 10 calls running at any given time. So if there's a wait, it's because we don't want to hang up on the folks we're talking to. (that could be you)

We have a huge online knowledgebase: 24/7/365

We have an online trouble-ticket form. Fill it out and we'll respond to it when we have warm bodies in the building, which we do, I think, more days and longer hours than anyone else in the industry.

Best,

Jim

Case

:Coffee:Case,

If you're not happy with your Vinyl Express Q60, I'd be happy to take it in trade toward an FC7000-60-Mk2 or FC8000-60. The Q60 is an extremely popular cutter (our best selling Q) and would be easy to sell outright if a trade is not to your liking.

Meanwhile, here are some unsolicited comments from our customers:

“Speed and accuracy are key to my company's success and that is what I get with the Vinyl Express Q60 … As well as purchasing a superior machine, I have access to a phenomenal Tech Support System that has never let me down."
- Lisa Wright, Written Décor

"I bought a Vinyl Express Q Series to stripe our police cars ... I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE ... it tracks staight and we have no trouble ..."
- Mark Wyatt, Bossier Sheriff Office

"We bought a Q Series for sandblasting applications … it hasn't missed a beat yet."
- Jeff Nabors

"I just wanted to touch base with you about my new cutter. I bought the Q60, 24". I LOVE IT. Oh my goodness, I had no idea what I was missing. I wish I'd made the purchase long ago. It's fast, quiet and even with the smallest letters for the decals we make, it hasn't torn one time. I'm truly amazed.

Thank you so much for all your hard work and all the efforts Sign Warehouse put into helping me select the perfect cutter for my business."
-Susan C. Savarese, School Spirit Window Decals

[many, many more]

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks, but I never said I owned a Q series. I wouldn't buy one. I would only buy a true Graphtec. I like what the guy above said about Advantage, sounds good to me.

Case

Jim Doggett

Whew!!!!!

I sent an ad campaign out late last week with:

What makes Vinyl Express Q60 such a great cutter? Ask anyone who owns one. Anyone.

Then I come into the office Monday and see someone saying "Vinyl Express Q60 is junk..." The timing couldn't have been more ironic. LOL.

Since I've been assuming too much, I best ask: do you own a Graphtec or is it merely the only cutter you'd buy?

Case

I own a Graphtec. I like the fact I can update firmware with fixes for various bugs or new options implemented. With a "Q" series, you are stuck with whatever brain it has. It does not have updateable firmware. They have made improvements to the Graphtec and you can implement them with a firmware update. You CAN NOT do this with a "Q" series plotter from Sign Warehouse. Also you can cut Sandblast with a true Graphtec, you can not do this with a "Q" series from Sign Warehouse.

Case

Jim Doggett

I own a Graphtec. I like the fact I can update firmware with fixes for various bugs or new options implemented. With a "Q" series, you are stuck with whatever brain it has. It does not have updateable firmware. They have made improvements to the Graphtec and you can implement them with a firmware update. You CAN NOT do this with a "Q" series plotter from Sign Warehouse. Also you can cut Sandblast with a true Graphtec, you can not do this with a "Q" series from Sign Warehouse.

Case

Again, I don't want to assume. But what is the source of your information / misinformation? (Yeah; you're spreading both. Mostly the latter.)

To clarify, Vinyl Express Q Series cutters do have flashable ROMs (read: we can upgrade the firmware)

In addition, we can and do cut sandblast resist with Vinyl Express Q Series cutters. You'll note that Mr. Nabors, quoted above, bought a Q Series for the specific purpose of cutting sandblast.

Just keeping it real, Case. I'm not out to challenge you. I'm delighted that you own a Graphtec. Truly. As I stated above, they're a joy to work with. Can we agree on this point?

Best,

Jim

CarolinaCabinet

I may have to retract my earlier statements... the last couple days I am having trouble with my Graphtec FC and the support is trying but not helping so far

Case

Again, I don't want to assume. But what is the source of your information / misinformation? (Yeah; you're spreading both. Mostly the latter.)

To clarify, Vinyl Express Q Series cutters do have flashable ROMs (read: we can upgrade the firmware)

In addition, we can and do cut sandblast resist with Vinyl Express Q Series cutters. You'll note that Mr. Nabors, quoted above, bought a Q Series for the specific purpose of cutting sandblast.

Just keeping it real, Case. I'm not out to challenge you. I'm delighted that you own a Graphtec. Truly. As I stated above, they're a joy to work with. Can we agree on this point?

Best,

Jim

Oh really? I must been have mis-informed. Are the firmware updates available on your website? If not, where would one get them?

Case

Jim Doggett

Contact our tech support. But I'm not sure what use the firmware would be to you, as you've stated you do not own nor would buy a Vinyl Express Q Series vinyl cutter.

But you're better informed. So that's a plus.