• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC8600 and Onyx - Segment area correction marks

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Edit: Nevermind. See bottom of my last post here.

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone knows how to set the Graphtec 8600 to look for ALL the marks that Onyx pops out.

I can only set the plotter to look for "4 marks", and I need it to look for the "Segment area correction" style that pops out.

Does anyone know how to set the graphtec so that it looks for all the marks in segment area correction, rather than only looking for 4 of them?

Last edited:

papabud

Lone Wolf
in your arms setting. make sure things are set to auto and arms scanning.
not sure which setting it is its been a while since i set up my cutter. but it reads all the marks

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Thanks for the reply.

I have it set to ARMS scanning (Menu - Arms - Mark Scan Mode), but it forces me to also set it on 2, 3, or 4 marks.

Where is the option to set it to auto?

The only "auto" function I see is where I load the material and then tell the machine to do an "auto mark read", but it only reads 4 of them.

I have tried Onyx's cut program settings on both "4 marks" and "segment area correction" - but both of them only cause the plotter to check for 4 points and then quit.

Edit:
Under "Menu - Arms - Mark Auto Scanning" that is set to auto, already.

Edit 2:

OK.... so... I got it. Haha. I figured it would read all of the marks, and then begin cutting.

As it turns out, it reads 4 marks, cuts a bit, and then continues reading the marks. I retracted the blade all the way and just watched it go through the motions.

Last edited:

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
if you set material to sheet it will read all marks first, set to roll it does it in segments...

That explains a lot... I could never work out why some jobs would only read the corner marks, and some would read all marks.
Could never get segment area correction to read intermediate marks though... it only seems to read the corners then cuts the whole job (in roll media mode).

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
if you set material to sheet it will read all marks first, set to roll it does it in segments...
This doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, I can't figure out why on earth sometimes it reads all the marks, and sometimes it only reads the 4 corners.

I'm currently doing a 12' run and, as you suggested, I just marked it as a roll even though I've got it as a sheet.

It read the 4 corners, and now it's cutting the entire sheet.

It really makes no sense, there's no continuity to it.

Edit: I even just double checked, wondering if you meant the opposite of what you said ("Maybe *sheet* mode is the one where it reads in segments....").

I stopped the cutting, reloaded it as a sheet. Set it to cut. It checked the 4 corners and then jumped all over the place cutting everything out.

I then reloaded it as a roll, and then cut out the last handful of elements. It read the 4 corners, jumped from end to end, and then finished.

At no point during either mode did it actually read the segments.

Last edited:

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
That explains a lot... I could never work out why some jobs would only read the corner marks, and some would read all marks.
Could never get segment area correction to read intermediate marks though... it only seems to read the corners then cuts the whole job (in roll media mode).

If you happen to figure it out, let me know. I just tested this theory (3 times on one 12' long run) and it absolutely doesn't seem to be true.

I REALLY wanted it to read the segments on this job (vehicle wrap material with a very small bleed), but it didn't. In sheet mode nor in roll mode. I've never changed any settings or anything aside from pressure and speed, it honestly just seems like some jobs do it, and some don't.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yeah, unfortunately it didn't work as expected... had a few 6' jobs yesterday. Set CutServer to Segment Area Correction, and all jobs were printed with printer in Roll mode.
It read the corners and cut the job. Didn't even look at the intermediate marks... happened 3 times in a row. Not happy.

I have a feeling it might be related to the placement strategy somehow because we alternate between Conserve Media and Print Job Individually all the time, and sometimes it does read intermediates, but only at the beginning of the job, not each 500mm as it's apparently supposed to.

Lets hope either Onyx 18 has some improvements on this or someone can decode the correct order of settings to make it work properly.