• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC8600 offset issues

303DC

Hello. Last night I did a bunch of die cutting on Avery 1005 with 1060 overlam. I slowed down accel to 1, and ran it at 15 ips, pressure was at 24. Everything cut just fine with the exception of W, M, N, V, etc. that had sharp points. It was leaving about 1/16" uncut. A buddy suggested this is an offset issue, but wanted some additional feedback. Any tips? Everything I could find said leaving the offset to 0 for the stock blue holder with the stock 45* blades is correct, but clearly something wasn't right.

The strange thing is, it only does this with the thicker material like I cut last night. When I cut thinner calendared stuff, no issues with those letters.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Offset is a physical property of the blade itself. It's the distance between the exact center of the shaft and the tip of the angled blade. If you have that setup properly, I am thinking it has something to do with the blade up/down speed. Since the issue is occurring on thicker material that would make sense but I have never had to adjust that setting. If you think about it, on the thicker material the blade has to travel further to make it through the vinyl which take slightly more time than thinner material. If the blade doesn't reach full pressure quick enough the carriage will try to move forward before the blade has a chance to cut through all the way. Take a look in your manual. There should be an adjustment you can adjust.

303DC

Offset is a physical property of the blade itself. It's the distance between the exact center of the shaft and the tip of the angled blade. If you have that setup properly, I am thinking it has something to do with the blade up/down speed. Since the issue is occurring on thicker material that would make sense but I have never had to adjust that setting. If you think about it, on the thicker material the blade has to travel further to make it through the vinyl which take slightly more time than thinner material. If the blade doesn't reach full pressure quick enough the carriage will try to move forward before the blade has a chance to cut through all the way. Take a look in your manual. There should be an adjustment you can adjust.
Yep, there definitely is a setting for that, and that really makes sense. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Regarding the offset, however, there is a setting for the actual tool selected that lets you select an offset, so I'm confused by your comment on that?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yep, there definitely is a setting for that, and that really makes sense. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Regarding the offset, however, there is a setting for the actual tool selected that lets you select an offset, so I'm confused by your comment on that?

An example would be the Mimaki standard blade has an offset of .3mm. That is the setting I would setup a new blade with. As the blade becomes less and less sharp, that offset can change slightly and cause issues which is one reason they give you the option of changing the setting; to get a little more life out of the blade. They also allow you to change that setting because different angle blades will have different offset settings.

303DC

An example would be the Mimaki standard blade has an offset of .3mm. That is the setting I would setup a new blade with. As the blade becomes less and less sharp, that offset can change slightly and cause issues which is one reason they give you the option of changing the setting; to get a little more life out of the blade. They also allow you to change that setting because different angle blades will have different offset settings.
So it actually changes the angle of the blade holder itself? Huh. For what it's worth, it was doing this on a brand new blade.