• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Feedback on COLEX digital cutters

RoCo

Does anyone have any experience with Colex cutters? We are looking hard at one, right now, but haven't seen one operating in person, yet. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RoCo

ok, a little more background...it's a new company and looks like they only have a few machines in place, at the moment. So, I'm not expecting too much input from others :D

I'm probably taking a road trip to see one in operation before too long and post what I find if anyone is interested. I'm looking at a 5x10 vacuum table with iCut installed and several tools included.

andy

If you dig about a bit on Google you'll find Colex is associated with an Italian company called fotoba... I'm betting Colex are the US agents for this firm.

Fotoba look like they know what they're doing... plus they are European not Chindian which for your application can only be a good thing :)

steveimage

Colex is not a new company; it has been around for may year as a manufacturer of photographic paper processors. They produced a well-made product and had a good reputation in the industry. However, as far as cutting tables go, this is a new venture for them.

My company is interested in their unit as well as it appear to be a good value but their ability to transition into manufacturing a vastly different type product remains to be seen.

Like yourself, I have spoken to them about the cutter several times and intend to see it in action first hand. I look to your feedback after your visit.

10sacer

There's one in Greenville, SC about two hours from you in Georgia. Company who has it is a wholesaler - so a quick trip down there should not be an issue.

Have been in contact with Werner for a long time - when this thing was at infancy.

Go to ISA or SGIA if you want to see one. SGIA is in Orlando in October this year. You just missed ISA in Vegas last week.

Most intriguing part of it is the user replaceable spindle head for around $1K. Its probably not intended for a heavy user nor someone who will churn through lots of 1/2" acrylic, but for general wide format sign making - it will do the trick.

Colex also makes the RollsRoller - which if you do alot of mounting and premasking - will greatly improve your life. Have a colleague who has the large table and does 85% vehicle wraps and it is invaluable.

nikolai

Our company just rolled out a new cutting system for the graphics market. We are a bit more than the Colex but we position ourselves to cater to the mid-market. Like performance to a Zund or Kongsberg but with a superior milling spindle. Also, we are priced very competitively. The new system is called the Versa-Tech.

tollerdad

We have a Colex installing this week. I'll post back how it goes. Regarding the router head they also have a user changeable heavier duty router head available. The machine is very solid and the tools are machined very well.

MGB_LE

We have a Colex installing this week. I'll post back how it goes. Regarding the router head they also have a user changeable heavier duty router head available. The machine is very solid and the tools are machined very well.

It's been a long week! :omg: How do you like your Colex?

LarryB

I really like Colex and almost bought one. The only thing that held me back was no local service.

Multicam has a local repair facility close by. I ended up purchasing a Multicam 3000 with all the attachments and it will be delivered next week.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I've learned in purchasing equipment over the years that "local" service is not necessarily good service. I've had a Multicam 1000 for about 12 years. I've not been impressed with service and support. They are very reluctant to come on site. Our icut does not work and they will not do anything about it. When we upgrade, I will be shopping around. It's hard to find companies that offer good support without crazy expensive contracts.

MGB_LE

We love our Colex in conjunction with our EFI H1625 LED printer. These were additions to our equipment and so I'm trying to staff up to have enough people to let us become really good at this end of wide format. We are trying new materials, but it's difficult to get time to experiment or to get advice on how to do certain things.

MGB_LE

We love our Colex in conjunction with our EFI H1625 LED printer. These were additions to our equipment and so I'm trying to staff up to have enough people to let us become really good at this end of wide format. We are trying new materials, but it's difficult to get time to experiment or to get advice on how to do certain things.

I have to update: the guys at Colex do know the product and its capabilties if you ask them. It's just that their online presence and information is sparse.