• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Feedback on Layout

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a layout that I'm presenting to a customer... The one on the left was what they requested, and the one on the right is what I'm going to suggest.. are there are glaring issues with the one I came up with or any feedback you all may have?

TGjJrisHAqVXFnmLmamC9pZZYMIxdwNwCamxZQirfu1NR5T4AhttN5KeSoRYG3MF2GhkXUJkqvt07hDf4BTVeJmdTX9_rwPJe5OlLMmdo8N4YUxQGA7N6qEzQkyVnDtpSAXMi77S-KA=w1420-h938-no

Gino

Premium Subscriber
More than likely, they're gonna tell you, you left off 1/2 the information and now the stuff in the tree is too small to read. What is the viewing distance gonna be ??

I would compromise, make the name smaller, the tree larger and reduce the contact information and discuss why/if all of the address is needed or not.

neato

Holy smokes, this might take the cake for ridiculous amount of info.
The tree itself is a waste of space.

"slow down honey, I need to jot down this 51 character web address...http...darn!"

The sign you've suggested is much more appropriate information-wise

unclebun

They might or might not have an issue with the font you chose for the business name. Making up a different web address will only work if you can also convince them to buy that domain and point it to their site. You can easily add a facebook icon (check the facebook rules on its use, and also to download it if you don't have it).

For some reason, I have found it hard to get people whose heart is set on their business name written in an arch to go for anything else, even though it means the name will be much smaller. Haven't figured out the psychology of that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They might or might not have an issue with the font you chose for the business name. Making up a different web address will only work if you can also convince them to buy that domain and point it to their site. You can easily add a facebook icon (check the facebook rules on its use, and also to download it if you don't have it).

For some reason, I have found it hard to get people whose heart is set on their business name written in an arch to go for anything else, even though it means the name will be much smaller. Haven't figured out the psychology of that.

Yea, what is with the arching text? I hate using it because it's hard to work into a square sign, it reduces the size of the text dramatically, and it's hard to find a good fonts that work.

I know that font I chose really wasn't my best idea...I just find "kid" fonts hard to work with, but oh well.

Maybe they didn't know that for $10 you can get a domain name and URL forward to the longer one. :thumb:

kcollinsdesign

Old member
OK, here we go...

Drop the phone number and web page. Nobody is going to slam on their brakes to write that information down. Anybody who is interested will google the name.

Group the name into 2 visual "bites". "TWISTED CEDAR" is one bite, and "CHILD CARE CENTER" is the other. Each "bite" should use one typeface of the same size and weight. Your version uses three different sizes ("CENTER" should be the same font, color, size and weight as "CHILD CARE".

Put the tree centered on the top, and the text in a reverse panel on the bottom (white text on green).

Use a standard font for the text. You already have a decorative font in the tree mark. The two decorative fonts clash.

Drop the phone number and web page (oh, I already mentioned that...).

Take a cue from the national chains. They have thousands of dollars invested in their branding. You'll never see a phone number or a web address on a Learning Experience sign (but you can't read that one either).

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
My only question is do they own the website you're using? Because it's significantly different from what they have listed.

2B

My only question is do they own the website you're using? Because it's significantly different from what they have listed.

also, the URL addresses are different on between the signs.

I would make the "tree" the max size of the sign and then watermark it.
so it is there, but not distracting from the name of the company and allows the company and URL to be bigger
less is more and most people will google the company before contacting them. ie the contact information can be gotten from the URL

Your layout is better, and that is all you can do is show the difference

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is this going on site or off premise?

On site in a grassy area between ROW and parking lot. My thoughts were make the name "CHILDCARE" grab that 1-2 seconds of attention, and then website and phone number for people that would pull in and look closer.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
OK, here we go...

Drop the phone number and web page. Nobody is going to slam on their brakes to write that information down. Anybody who is interested will google the name.

Group the name into 2 visual "bites". "TWISTED CEDAR" is one bite, and "CHILD CARE CENTER" is the other. Each "bite" should use one typeface of the same size and weight. Your version uses three different sizes ("CENTER" should be the same font, color, size and weight as "CHILD CARE".

Put the tree centered on the top, and the text in a reverse panel on the bottom (white text on green).

Use a standard font for the text. You already have a decorative font in the tree mark. The two decorative fonts clash.

Drop the phone number and web page (oh, I already mentioned that...).

Take a cue from the national chains. They have thousands of dollars invested in their branding. You'll never see a phone number or a web address on a Learning Experience sign (but you can't read that one either).

Thank you for the feedback. I tried to make it two bites but it looked crowded. I was going for this layout..

S7gPRYXEBiDYPRA9pvM_lxCmb089f0qOdygKWf524iDTWW1mjRe5E1LkRj7HpLXDtGwyp6tgS8Hqkpj80P2jOjX52C3lKugS6LC-JLZUU5c0Ut1UFB0WFxcB0q6SCZkPWDoxC18S1t8EqOhabVtetSge5AeRsol2xEpYckeJCWE8P9eNt83tJ20gqo6kteA7st3IcfFz7Lx14ZI7rh_LikbXdrIVzMjmdiBE_JRWHrXLvWKmyG-bBNEpLh373ODLx_cGMudbswkGD9Tg4HhDW1yQwsbPMNuaxM_WI4_QfuzRFGeR0PkbNStkKnAasrWmqX4WZebgoNkoR4BWBnN2E2Ep9nsCi1XkHoobBgonoclj8av7Rap536TtovIBY03ifAI8MpZojM2yNlvws-726PRkLPNbYefx_fvoaTu1ueGAOHfsDPgqScVhwRQPUn57sWl7Dg411le_DYHugvcQA66MZDjP2l3SZC9-jgZSenAt3zLyQ8_CMpUFbtFQ3NYa8Iw0T1GE-s4QjGpayTIUpnrkd6SJ4-hFhvGp1BML7YIzhCK7jvwMdgezsd3786I3DoqHGV_VaJPQzakAolByCGt7y65QDZF0pO5dJsCqKXfC5QfLM_Dg3VMnHLxjswdF18U7YpA7xa96ri-gENQ0ySzd4Q=w457-h938-no

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You might try making "TWISTED CEDAR" and "CENTER" the same font, case, color, size, and weight. Also I would pay attention to the margins, as Stevens prescribes. As you know, a design will look different on a piece of white paper than when it is installed and has a busy background.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the feedback. I tried to make it two bites but it looked crowded. I was going for this layout..

S7gPRYXEBiDYPRA9pvM_lxCmb089f0qOdygKWf524iDTWW1mjRe5E1LkRj7HpLXDtGwyp6tgS8Hqkpj80P2jOjX52C3lKugS6LC-JLZUU5c0Ut1UFB0WFxcB0q6SCZkPWDoxC18S1t8EqOhabVtetSge5AeRsol2xEpYckeJCWE8P9eNt83tJ20gqo6kteA7st3IcfFz7Lx14ZI7rh_LikbXdrIVzMjmdiBE_JRWHrXLvWKmyG-bBNEpLh373ODLx_cGMudbswkGD9Tg4HhDW1yQwsbPMNuaxM_WI4_QfuzRFGeR0PkbNStkKnAasrWmqX4WZebgoNkoR4BWBnN2E2Ep9nsCi1XkHoobBgonoclj8av7Rap536TtovIBY03ifAI8MpZojM2yNlvws-726PRkLPNbYefx_fvoaTu1ueGAOHfsDPgqScVhwRQPUn57sWl7Dg411le_DYHugvcQA66MZDjP2l3SZC9-jgZSenAt3zLyQ8_CMpUFbtFQ3NYa8Iw0T1GE-s4QjGpayTIUpnrkd6SJ4-hFhvGp1BML7YIzhCK7jvwMdgezsd3786I3DoqHGV_VaJPQzakAolByCGt7y65QDZF0pO5dJsCqKXfC5QfLM_Dg3VMnHLxjswdF18U7YpA7xa96ri-gENQ0ySzd4Q=w457-h938-no

Oh no..... I'm going blind..............:covereyes:

Okay Tex..... honestly, this is an easy fix. Ya simply tell them what they have..... is a brochure. Signs, especially ones that are on the premises are to tell someone, including delivery people, who you are and where you are. All that extra mumbo-jumbo is for flyers, pamphlets, business cards and such, not a sign. If they put the Gettysburg address on there, you can make it fit, but no one will be able to read all that in 3 to 5 seconds. Everything will blend together and then the sign has lost its purpose. Much over 5 to 7 words is completely lost.... even on a big billboard.

signbrad

The redesign is a vast improvement. The original is ineffective and will be ignored—for numerous reasons—and it is, essentially, a waste of the client’s money.

The redesign has a good hierarchy of importance. The tree graphic is good because it's a graphic—graphics tend to be memorable as a rule—though it clearly contains secondary copy, so it should not compete with the main name.
I agree in theory with the suggestion to nix both the phone number and the web address. I encourage this almost always. These often add to an already cluttered sign and no one can digest them in the one to two seconds this sign will be viewed by passing motorists. But the face that they can pull in and stop may make it a judgment call.

One suggestion: vertical justification should generally be avoided. A little less line spacing between the lines that go together make for more definitive "copy blocks."
Creating copy blocks of related copy, each with its own generous margin, is one of the "Mike Stevens principles" that will always enhance legibility. But it is not a new idea by any means. It is simply an application of the design principle of proximity, what Mike called compulsive graphic relativity.

Johnny Best

I like yours for a sign on the side of the road and their's is more for a poster sign where you can stand still and read it.
Tell us the outcome on this decision.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the feedback. Here are some changes with some of you guys input. Thanks for getting the design juices flowing. I sent these over to the customer just now for them to noodle over.

Z9JERkPFNlVCjHgdA3ZJc6YtlVv760jsYphizK7mchjDje-m3W0RvQ0k9aeJAkn33gnr-kVwwJrvwyDVu5lkz3Z7RQvVVqFfLkcUfCp8bnjDA8QIjvzGbcPz1bVH3HAEFHcjTk2NRFU=w747-h938-no

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Much better, but now all of your layouts are bottom heavy. Takes your eye right off the sign. You need to create a flow to keep your eye on it as long as possible. Bottom left has some redeeming qualities, but not enough.

Isn't it weird...... ?? The most simple of copy and layouts can be the hardest to get good balance. I'm working on one right now, myself. I've tried 2 or 3 ways and still not happy. :design: