Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on Layout

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by Texas_Signmaker, Jan 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I have a layout that I'm presenting to a customer... The one on the left was what they requested, and the one on the right is what I'm going to suggest.. are there are glaring issues with the one I came up with or any feedback you all may have?

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    More than likely, they're gonna tell you, you left off 1/2 the information and now the stuff in the tree is too small to read. What is the viewing distance gonna be ??

I would compromise, make the name smaller, the tree larger and reduce the contact information and discuss why/if all of the address is needed or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Thankfully the viewing distance is about 10-15' from roadway...BUT speed limit is 50.

4. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So, is this sign 2 sided or parallel to the road ??

5. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    Holy smokes, this might take the cake for ridiculous amount of info.
    The tree itself is a waste of space.

"slow down honey, I need to jot down this 51 character web address...http...darn!"

The sign you've suggested is much more appropriate information-wise

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yes, two sided. 99% of the time I'm usually against parallel signs.

7. unclebun

unclebun Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    They might or might not have an issue with the font you chose for the business name. Making up a different web address will only work if you can also convince them to buy that domain and point it to their site. You can easily add a facebook icon (check the facebook rules on its use, and also to download it if you don't have it).

For some reason, I have found it hard to get people whose heart is set on their business name written in an arch to go for anything else, even though it means the name will be much smaller. Haven't figured out the psychology of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Your layout looks great.

Your customer will say they really like what they came up with...

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    They web address is incorrect... should read 'https' not 'htps'
    also you could remove that lettering and just start with 'twisted'

10. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yea, what is with the arching text? I hate using it because it's hard to work into a square sign, it reduces the size of the text dramatically, and it's hard to find a good fonts that work.

I know that font I chose really wasn't my best idea...I just find "kid" fonts hard to work with, but oh well.

Maybe they didn't know that for $10 you can get a domain name and URL forward to the longer one. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. OK, here we go...

Drop the phone number and web page. Nobody is going to slam on their brakes to write that information down. Anybody who is interested will google the name.

Group the name into 2 visual "bites". "TWISTED CEDAR" is one bite, and "CHILD CARE CENTER" is the other. Each "bite" should use one typeface of the same size and weight. Your version uses three different sizes ("CENTER" should be the same font, color, size and weight as "CHILD CARE".

Put the tree centered on the top, and the text in a reverse panel on the bottom (white text on green).

Use a standard font for the text. You already have a decorative font in the tree mark. The two decorative fonts clash.

Drop the phone number and web page (oh, I already mentioned that...).

Take a cue from the national chains. They have thousands of dollars invested in their branding. You'll never see a phone number or a web address on a Learning Experience sign (but you can't read that one either).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    USA
    My only question is do they own the website you're using? Because it's significantly different from what they have listed.

13. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Its a sample website... its a suggestion to show how a $10 simple domain name would be easier to read.

• Like Like x 3
  14. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    also, the URL addresses are different on between the signs.

I would make the "tree" the max size of the sign and then watermark it.
    so it is there, but not distracting from the name of the company and allows the company and URL to be bigger
    less is more and most people will google the company before contacting them. ie the contact information can be gotten from the URL

Your layout is better, and that is all you can do is show the difference

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 12:23 PM
  15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Is this going on site or off premise?

16. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    On site in a grassy area between ROW and parking lot. My thoughts were make the name "CHILDCARE" grab that 1-2 seconds of attention, and then website and phone number for people that would pull in and look closer.

17. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Thank you for the feedback. I tried to make it two bites but it looked crowded. I was going for this layout..

[​IMG]

18. You might try making "TWISTED CEDAR" and "CENTER" the same font, case, color, size, and weight. Also I would pay attention to the margins, as Stevens prescribes. As you know, a design will look different on a piece of white paper than when it is installed and has a busy background.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    On site, then tell the customer that the physical address is hogging two lines of the existing copy.
    I'd also argue the facebook logo anywhere on the sign would implicate "LIKE US ON FACEBOOK" without insulting the reader's intelligence.
    I'm also a fan on removing the area code for "local" businesses. I don't know anything about this area's area codes, but it can make a phone number much easier to read.
    Also I'd ignore the customer's specifics and capitalize every new word in the email, for their benefit, and see if they try to make you 'fix' it. Some customers are so dead set on what that napkin they brought into your office says and resist change. In those cases I'll often tweak something just to make it less painful to see go out the door. I'm sure you've never had a customer like that.
    Still prefer the layout you came up with...

20. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Oh no..... I'm going blind..............:covereyes:

Okay Tex..... honestly, this is an easy fix. Ya simply tell them what they have..... is a brochure. Signs, especially ones that are on the premises are to tell someone, including delivery people, who you are and where you are. All that extra mumbo-jumbo is for flyers, pamphlets, business cards and such, not a sign. If they put the Gettysburg address on there, you can make it fit, but no one will be able to read all that in 3 to 5 seconds. Everything will blend together and then the sign has lost its purpose. Much over 5 to 7 words is completely lost.... even on a big billboard.

• Agree Agree x 1