• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fellers "Gamut" and "Solvex" wrap vinyls

ChiknNutz

Looking for any feedback regarding Fellers "Gamut" and/or "Solvex AE CarWrap" vehicle wrap vinyls. These are significantly less than comparable Oracal or 3M products, but are they any good? How are they to use? How do they print? Thanks so much for your comments.

Letterbox Mike

HAven't tried the Solvex, but have tried the Gamut. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's rebranded Avery MPI1005EZRS, it looks, smells, prints, and installed exactly the same. We used it on a few vans, not full wraps, actually just printed/cut stuff mostly. Both vans had to be redone within a month. Fellers claimed we didn't post-heat it enough, but we heated it as much as possible before it started bubbling/burning. If it is rebranded Avery, I guess that's the problem right there.

I have used Solvex's regular non-AE CarWrap film and for a regular cast film it always worked great. I'd assume the AE stuff is as good.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Gamut is crap...

I mean, I am sure it could be used for a full wrap but I did some Print and cut decals for one of my customers and heated it for i cannot even remember how long. I got a call the next day saying the decal flew off on the beltway... yeah.

We get it for an amazing price so we are going to wrap our shop vehicles with it though... even after that happened. Because we can replace it every so often, who cares...

Designer Wraps

Solvex is junk. Tried it once a while back just for the heck of it. It ripped way too easy. Sent it back. 3M for me - can't ever go wrong - it may cost more, but you'll save with faster installs.

ProWraps

HAven't tried the Solvex, but have tried the Gamut. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's rebranded Avery MPI1005EZRS, it looks, smells, prints, and installed exactly the same. We used it on a few vans, not full wraps, actually just printed/cut stuff mostly. Both vans had to be redone within a month. Fellers claimed we didn't post-heat it enough, but we heated it as much as possible before it started bubbling/burning. If it is rebranded Avery, I guess that's the problem right there.

I have used Solvex's regular non-AE CarWrap film and for a regular cast film it always worked great. I'd assume the AE stuff is as good.

we had the same experience 100% exactly to a "t". it doesnt stick and falls off. when you say wtf fellers says you didnt post heat it. you shouldnt have to post heat a wrap to 260 on every sq/in to make it stick. the stuff is pure 100% garbage.

Steve C.

I don't do many wraps and the ones I do are mostly partial wraps. I use
Solvex and it is great, especially since I use it primarily as just print vehicle
graphics. I am disappointed that Fellers is discontinuing the 36" roll. My
Fellers rep said that he thinks it is made by Orical.

Letterbox Mike

I honestly don't think it's even possible to post heat that stuff to the temps the recommend. To get it that hot it will melt, it won't take nearly as much heat as 180C or 3951RA.

And if you have to post heat the stuff when it's applied to just a flat surface like a vehicle door, you pretyt much know that it's going to fall off any compound curve...

Gypsy

I can tell you that gamut is private labeled Mactac!!

Let's say a little birdie told me.. I tried it and hated it..

threeputt

Has anyone had the experience of the adhesive tearing loose from the vinyl?

That is, if it happens to touch automotive glass, then when you pull it away, the adhesive rips away from the vinyl and you're looking at a patch of vinyl (the back) that is white. (the adhesive is grey)

Stuff seems brittle, too.

kev3232

solvex is not very good,i think it's rebranded oracal, same light grey adhesive and same pattern.
used it on an customer supplied install the other day and would stick like crazy when it touched the surface and didn't stick when you squeegee'd it. ?????
even in a warm garage it felt like it was going to snap at any time.

k

ChiknNutz

UPDATE...we tried out the "Fellers" brand of CarWrap and laminate. The first wrap was on the new Transit and actually it is holding up just fine, no issues. However, we then wrapped our own truck and that is where we noticed the problems. The adhesive pulls away from the vinyl, leaving bubbles in even the slightest of recesses. No amount of cleaning and heating would get it to stay. The laminate is another story...same roll offers different levels of sheen...woo hoo, that's nice...NOT! Not sure why we experienced it just with our truck, but talked with Fellers who admitted to having other failures. Short of it is Fellers refunded our money on both the vinyl and laminate (no ink or labor though). Oh, they said that the CarWrap is Arlon...

You've been warned!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Has anyone had the experience of the adhesive tearing loose from the vinyl?

That is, if it happens to touch automotive glass, then when you pull it away, the adhesive rips away from the vinyl and you're looking at a patch of vinyl (the back) that is white. (the adhesive is grey)

Stuff seems brittle, too.

YES..I've had that happened whilst wrapping a bus side with Arlon. Clean separation left the grey kicking it there on the surface and bare spots on the vinyl back. Was weird. And you can be sure that was the LAST time I used that...but still considering the NEW XRP since it has been "enhanced" from enough of US having issues with the over agressive adhesive.