• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Few ?'s About Wide-Format Printers

Justin

Hey,

I have just a few questions about these wide-format printers..

You don't always have to use the full width media, right? If you have a 60" you can print on 30", or 24"?

How are these printing custom wallpapers, wine labels, cd covers, billboards, light shades, cande labels etc?

What's your opinions on the HP L26500?

Justin

Thanks for the answers, CheapVehicleWrap... It definitely seems like one could make their money back fairly easy with one of these printers. It's awesome their is so many avenues from wraps, posters, candles, walls, floors, labels, signage, etc..

Anyone know about how much a used L26500 is?

DizzyMarkus

Coming from a cut only background -- I find myself still cutting alot of stuff. I dont "print" as much as I thought I would at first.

Markus

Justin

Outsource until you have enough digital print business to justify it.

Well I would like to do that.. I just don't know anyone who will print 1-2 posters/1-2 banners, 50 stickers, etc.. Do you, or any of you others know anyone who does this low volume stuff?

FatCat

Thanks for the answers, CheapVehicleWrap... It definitely seems like one could make their money back fairly easy with one of these printers. It's awesome their is so many avenues from wraps, posters, candles, walls, floors, labels, signage, etc..

They are a fairly new machine, so probably not too many used ones for sale yet.

For starters, you need to know that aside from the printer you will have to purchase a laminator (to laminate things that go outdoors or require scratch protection; signs/wraps/decals,etc) and also a compatible cutter to contour cut things from your printer. PLUS, you will need RIP software to run your printer and cutter. All in all, you may be looking at a $25-$35k investment depending on what equipment you choose.

Too many people enter this business thinking that just buying the equipment will bring customers streaming to their doors. It doesn't work that way, it takes time, patience, hard work and quality products to build the reputation needed to get that work. Trust me when I say there are plenty of people in this game already - always room for more, BUT many here will tell you it takes more than equipment to be successful.

As Weasel said, outsource until you have the business to "justify" a purchase of this magnitude. Unless you've done all your homework, there is a HUGE learning curve to all this stuff. Do you have any design/print/graphics experience? Do you understand color theory, typography and basic graphic design/layout? Ever ran a business before? Do you have a business plan? What is your target market? Do you think you can average sales of $10k+/month off the bat? That is just about what it requires to justify what you need.

IF you are truly serious, team up with a merchant member here (Insignia would be a good bet since you're from Ohio - he's in Dayton) and start building your customer base. If you're right, you will have justified your position and then can easily purchase equipment to do it in house. If you're wrong, you will have saved yourself many sleepless nights, rude calls from the collections people and the ultimate drama of losing a big chunk of money, or the bank coming to repo all your stuff.

Not trying to rain on your parade, seen it happen more than once... :thumb:

signage

come on guys let him buy it and not beable to keep it so we can get it dirt cheap, you know used equipment doesn't hold its value!

FatCat

Sorry, I just don't have it in my heart to be mean. I know this topic gets beat to death by every newbie that comes here - but I still try to be respectful. STILL, even I have to pick my chin up off the floor when someone comes in saying they want to buy a $20k printer and then say "...to print 1-2 posters/1-2 banners, 50 stickers, etc.."

Why?!?!?!?!?? :frustrated:

Do people not realize that you don't go buy a dump truck just because you need to haul a few shovels of dirt here and there?

:banghead:

Justin

I must say.. I'm not buying one tomorrow, next week, or probably within the next year. I just had a few questions about these printers.. that's all. I like the L26500 so far as I can tell, and heck by time I get ready to buy one there may even be another new one out.

Thanks for the info!

PS: I'm not wanting one to print 1-2 posters, few decals, etc.. I was merely asking the question to see if you guys know of anyone who could do that.. you know, so I can build my business up to be able to afford one of these printers. If noone in my area does prints like these, and I personally can't print any.. I would need to order some to show people.. I will see if insignia can do this low volume work, and the price..

It sure would be nice if some of you would quit assuming everything on each member, or question that gets asked, and simply answer the question the poster has.(not only talking about the few that posted here either)

FatCat

Justin, don't get your feathers ruffled. Your statement above is what drew my comments - though I wasn't trying to be mean, just honest. It is awesome what wide format printers can do in the hands of a skilled person - it is just as awesome how much money can be wasted when you don't know what you're doing or don't have sufficient business to support one.

In short, yes Mike at Insignia will work with you even on the smallest of projects, but he does have a minimum order (like $35/$45). If you partner with him most everything you order can probably be turned around within 2-3 days which is almost as fast as doing it yourself. I can vouch for his quality and service.

Good luck to you. :thumb:

Justin

Thanks FatCat! I sure wish I could hop out and buy one of those printers rightnow! Heck I wish I had that much business to need one.. You've been very helpful! Yeah I figured that's what did it.. I am still generally interested in knowing how much printers of this type(doesnt have to be this exact printer) go for used though.. I don't know much about wide-format printers, and their markup, etc..

I'll definitely checkout Insignia.. It's great they are so close too!

Letterbox Mike

PS: I'm not wanting one to print 1-2 posters, few decals, etc.. I was merely asking the question to see if you guys know of anyone who could do that.. you know, so I can build my business up to be able to afford one of these printers. If noone in my area does prints like these, and I personally can't print any.. I would need to order some to show people.. I will see if insignia can do this low volume work, and the price..

PM me, I'll be glad to help you out so you can get your volume up there.

For that matter, if you're close enough you're more than welcome to stop by here any time and I'll give you the run down on what we do and on digital printing in general. It's hard to sell a product you don't know much about so anything we can do to help you understand the market/product better we will!

royster13

There is so much capacity out there you can often buy from a wholesaler for less than the sum of the parts...

Locals Find!

For some of the short run stuff your looking at place like 4over can be a big help. They provide pretty quick turn around and have a print facility in Ohio to speed things along. Worthwhile to have an account with for a multitude of print/sign items you may want to offer customers.

kylebrk

If you want to labels and things of that nature, I would go with the Roland XC-540.

I have the 26500, its quality is ridiculous. It does limit the materials you can print on.

Justin

If you want to labels and things of that nature, I would go with the Roland XC-540.

I have the 26500, its quality is ridiculous. It does limit the materials you can print on.

What do you mean by ridiculous? Ridiculously good, or? Heat do you mean by limits the material you can print on?

kylebrk

Ridiculously good.

The heat that it takes to cure the Latex ink prevents you from using certain materials.