• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fiberglass ladder care

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a bunch of ladders sitting on the roof rack of my truck. After about 4-5 years they lost their color and got really itchy to use. Found out the fiberglass causes the itchiness and the sun breaks down the protective chemicals in the ladder.

I know the problem is them sitting in the Texas sun all day long and being outside 24/7. I'm not taking them off the truck and putting them away so that's not going to be an option.. I'd rather spend $$ replacing every 3-5 years then do that.

I replaced ALL of them with new ones a few weeks ago and want to know what to do to extend their life? I read online that you can spray them with polyurethane to protect them from the UV rays. Have any of you heard about that or do that? What do you do to care for your ladders?

20200519_083803.jpg

Last edited:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Heard about it but never have done it personally. Mine stay in the van or garage until needed. There's a company or product , can't remember which, called Rainbow something or other that I've seen used but no experience with it myself. Might just be poly under a fancy label....

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The polyurethane youre thinking of wont even last that long sitting on the roof of your truck. A good automotive clear would be about it or go to a canvas shop and have covers made.

• Agree
Reactions: spb

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Keep them out of the sun!
Same thing I do with my truck in the Texas sun, and anything else that is not metal. If it is metal, put it in the shade too! Picking up metal tools on a sunny July Texas day, will leave quite an impression.... so to speak.
I wish I had your money!

rjssigns

Before you do anything to the ladders check with OSHA. IIRC any modifications whatsoever void safety regs. When I worked in a factory there were people that would come in for inspections and not just ladders. Slings, chains, harnesses, cranes, lifts, air quality etc...

Johnny Best

They mix resin and fiberglass pieces together to make those ladders. The polyester resin is breaking down from the sun and exposing the fiberglass and thats why you itch. Smart move in getting new ladders. You spent your $1200 from the Covid money well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It ain't the texas sun. Same thing happens everywhere. Throw a tarp over them, if you don't take them off. We have all yellow ones and aluminum. The yellow are rated higher and the yellow doesn't fade as quick, duh..............

C

ColoPrinthead

It ain't the texas sun. Same thing happens everywhere. Throw a tarp over them, if you don't take them off. We have all yellow ones and aluminum. The yellow are rated higher and the yellow doesn't fade as quick, duh..............
Yes it is, when I worked in Dallas we gave a wraps 2 years less of life span than those that were sent to the northern states.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not arguing, but they start fading within 2 or 3 years up here, too. I'm in Pennsylvania. You have a more direct slant from the sun, so it might happen sooner, but it's still the same culprit.

What I don't like is how they become rough to the touch. You can actually get cuts/fine splinters, if you run your hand up or down on a fiberglass ladder. That's where a clearcoat might help. My ladders are all over 25 years old and still have most of their color, but they are sharp.​

Evan Gillette

I agree checking if modifications are allowed by osha etc. but here's a thought, what about wrapping them with some bright colors and even throw in some reflective? If not that maybe just put some good quality laminate over the fiberglass. I have never tried that myself, just thinking out loud. We just keep our inside unless being used.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree checking if modifications are allowed by osha etc. but here's a thought, what about wrapping them with some bright colors and even throw in some reflective? If not that maybe just put some good quality laminate over the fiberglass. I have never tried that myself, just thinking out loud. We just keep our inside unless being used.

Werner states in their information sheet that you can coat it with wax or polyurethane coating. If the manufacturer says you can do it I would assume that's OK with OSHA.

I might take Gino's suggestion about covering them with a tarp if I'm not going anywhere that day or for the weekend.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You could use fire grade rubber (it comes in white) and have an awning shop custom make a canopy and fit it with grommets and triple gusset the corners and have it fold down over the front, too. The night before you go on a job, take it off or wait til you get to the job. It should only be a five minute job to put on or take off, if made correctly. You might wanna lay that step ladder flat and stack the two extensions for a better and tighter fit.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The fiberglass ladders feel way more stable. The aluminum ones I had seems to wobble and dance around, especially the A frame ones. The two 24' extensions are good for two person jobs. The 8' is my everyday ladder and 10' is seldom used but necessary to have.

I got 6', 4', 3' and a bench but those stay at home and I throw them in as needed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I feel like if I bring an infomercial ladder to a construction site I'd get some odd looks.o_O

I duno, maybe that's the better way to go

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I see more of them, than just about anything else. Nothing wrong with them or their looks. They're completely OSHA approved, if you get the right one. There are variations which will not be approved.

Billct2

Since the manufacturer says wax or clear coat is OK I would go with something made for fiberglass boats.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's what I thought at first, but man when you have the option to go either way, you'll have an infomercial moment when someone walks back their A-frame for their extension ladder and you just flip flop the 'multi position ladder.' Plus they kick the crap out of the lightweight aluminum ladders when it comes to sturdiness.
But yeah, I went with a Werner exclusively because it didn't say "LITTLE GIANT" down the side...

Yea I'd go with Werner too. Little Giant sounds like the nickname of someones pecker.