• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File Import Issues

PolarBear

I have a customer file that was created in the latest version of Illustrator. It is about 49M. I am trying to import into Flexi 8.5v1 so I can add cutlines. In some cases it tells me I have a memory issue. On other attempts, it processes for 10 minutes, slowly showing progress in the status bar, gives me the dotted lines to place it on the page, and then only gives me small snippets of the image.
They have also provided me the image as .eps with the same results.
I am running on a computer with 8G RAM and Windows 7 64B.

Has anyone dealt with an issue like this and have a workaround or suggestions beyond buying a new computer with even more memory?

Thanks,
Lori

PolarBear

Thanks. I have CS5 and tried opening the file there. It opens, but I can't get it out in any format that is useful. The high resolution jpg says memory is insufficient and I haven't found any other format that seems to work. Do you have a suggestion on a format that might work better? I have to admit, I have CS5, but I just got it and don't have any experience with it.
Lori

player

Thanks. I have CS5 and tried opening the file there. It opens, but I can't get it out in any format that is useful. The high resolution jpg says memory is insufficient and I haven't found any other format that seems to work. Do you have a suggestion on a format that might work better? I have to admit, I have CS5, but I just got it and don't have any experience with it.
Lori

Not CS5, CS2. Do you understand how old your version of Flexi is?

PolarBear

Apparently I don't. I haven't had issues before this, so I had not had reason to explore updating it. I guess I should investigate that. Thanks.

LittletonSign

I run Flexi 7.5

I run Flexi 7.5 and have to save all my Illustrator files as Illustrator 8. Before I save I have to convert all type to outlines and then turn all strokes to fills. I'm not sure that this will help with the large file size but it may be worth a try.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
May or may not help but you can upgrade your Flexi to 8.6v2 - that was the final (and also very stable) version for 8.x.

Only other thing I can think to try would be to remove the embedded image from the Illustrator file (export it out) then open the now much smaller illustrator file and then import the jpg back in from within Flexi.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Your machine has enough memory.
The limit is within CS5, it can't rasterize very large at all.
One way you can do it with what you have:
Open the file in Illy and add your contour cut line there.
You will need to create a spot color called "CutContour" and assign it to the path's stroke that you want Flexi to cut.
Resave the file as a CS5 eps.
Drag and drop it directly into the Production manager.
Flexi will recognize the spot color as the cut line.
You enable the cut option in the "Workflow" tab and you should get two files - the print with the alignment marks to the rip side and a cut file that will go into your cutter queue on hold.
You might want to try this with a small scaled down version to make sure every thing goes right before committing to the full sized job.
The Production manager does a much better job opening ai eps & pdf files over the main program.
A week or so ago I printed several AI files that were 1.9 gigs large on my win7 machine with 9gigs of ram in the Flexi 8.6 production manager.
49megs is just a light snack........

If you have Photoshop to go with your CS5 Illy you can rasterize the eps there and bring that into Flexi to add the contour cut without too much drama.

Wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

PolarBear

Thanks for the help. Last night I was able to get it working. I finally had success on one file by saving as Illy 8 eps. I took it from 49 to 108M,so I was surprised to see it work. The second file had to be brokem into 2 smaller files and the the same procedure worked.
Now I also know how to add a cut line from Illustrator. That's a nice option.
Lori

CalamityJay

import and link helps me

if i am having trouble with raster effects when opening in flexi, I do:
file>import > check the link box and use 300 dpi raster effects.

I generate 2 files from illy.
1. cut file with bounding box
2. art file with bounding box.

Make sure the bounding boxes are the same size and align horizontal and vertical centers of both files.

Cut file is layered on top.

Select both and print.

Easy.